Free PC Support
PC Help Forums from the Experts at Technical-Assistance.co.uk

Google

Search The Web Search This Site
 RSS FeedRSS Feed   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

please help

Reply to topic    Free PC Support Forum Home -> Helproom
ashley47

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2009 3:38 pm    Post subject: please help Reply with quote

hi, i am having trouble setting up a new hard drive. it is a 3.5" ide hdd for a desktop. every time i boot up on my hp pavilion 7865 (very old) i get no operating system found. i have a windows xp installation disc. i have my hdd on the primary master and my dvd drive on the secondary master (correct?).
i cant /dont know how to get in to bios to set to boot from dvd.
any help would be greatly appreciated.
ashley
SoftStag

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2009 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Ashley, welcome to the forums!

It sounds like you have everything connected up right, it's just that the PC is booting from the hard drive rather than the DVD drive. I'm not familiar with the PC you are using, so not sure of how to get in to the BIOS to change the boot order. Try F2 or Del, if they don't work, it should say on the very first screen that comes up. If it goes too quickly to read, press Pause/Break to pause the POST. If there is a HP splash screen hiding what is going on, then press Esc to clear the splash screen.

Hope this helps!
"Microsoft programs are generally bug-free. If you visit the Microsoft hotline, you'll literally have to wait weeks if not months until someone calls in with a bug in one of our programs. 99.99% of calls turn out to be user mistakes. I know not a single less irrelevant reason for an update than bugfixes. The reasons for updates are to present more new features."
-- Bill Gates, on code stability, from Focus Magazine
ashley47

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2009 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi thanks for the speedy reply. i have tried all possible keys for getting into bios: f1,f2,f6,f10,f11,esc,del all with no success. if i hold f12 or f1 or f10 it seems to stay at the hp loading screen for longer but no bios and operating system not found is still shown. i have read about being able to reset bios by removing battery for a period of time or somethig to do with jumpers. i am not very technical and dont know how to do either.
any help would be greatly appreciated.
ashley
SoftStag

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2009 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If your system has a floppy drive, disconnect the power to it, the POST should fail and give an option to enter setup.
"Microsoft programs are generally bug-free. If you visit the Microsoft hotline, you'll literally have to wait weeks if not months until someone calls in with a bug in one of our programs. 99.99% of calls turn out to be user mistakes. I know not a single less irrelevant reason for an update than bugfixes. The reasons for updates are to present more new features."
-- Bill Gates, on code stability, from Focus Magazine
Reply to topic    Free PC Support Forum Home -> Helproom All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: