Free PC Support
PC Help Forums from the Experts at Technical-Assistance.co.uk

Google

Search The Web Search This Site
 RSS FeedRSS Feed   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Please help!!!

Reply to topic    Free PC Support Forum Home -> Helproom
tobytucker

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2008 5:41 pm    Post subject: Please help!!! Reply with quote

Great forum ... if only there were more around. Hope to be able to contribute in some way in the future but for now I need some advice.

I am trying to access a folder on my desktop. When I do, and whether internet explorer is open or not, I continue to get the message "windows explorer has encountered a fault and needs to close".

What happens then is the whole desktop blanks (except for the picture on it), personalised settings appears, then the desktop refreshes and any programmes (previously running before the problem occurred) still open and visible at the foot of the screen.

I hope this makes sense so far Confused

I have run a virus scan on this particular folder (my photo folder as it happens) and nothing is picked up. This problem doesn't occur with any other short cut on the desktop. I have also tried to open the same file using windows explorer and, once I click on the folder in the list, I get the same message and the same thing happens again.

If anyone understands the problem, can they suggest a cure?

Hope to hear, thanks very much in anticipation.
________
vaporizers

Last edited by tobytucker on Tue Feb 08, 2011 1:25 am; edited 1 time in total
SoftStag

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2008 6:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It sounds like there may be some corruption with the folder. Try scanning the hard drive for errors, you could also try copying the folder to another location and seeing if you can open that one. It may help if you can tell me what version of Windows you are using.
"Microsoft programs are generally bug-free. If you visit the Microsoft hotline, you'll literally have to wait weeks if not months until someone calls in with a bug in one of our programs. 99.99% of calls turn out to be user mistakes. I know not a single less irrelevant reason for an update than bugfixes. The reasons for updates are to present more new features."
-- Bill Gates, on code stability, from Focus Magazine
tobytucker

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2008 9:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SoftStag wrote:
It sounds like there may be some corruption with the folder. Try scanning the hard drive for errors, you could also try copying the folder to another location and seeing if you can open that one. It may help if you can tell me what version of Windows you are using.

Thanks SoftStag ... am using Windows XP. Will copy the file and see waht happens. Report back later.
________
Bel Air

tobytucker

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2008 10:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SoftStag wrote:

Hi again SoftStag,

Right then ... copied the file and renamed it. Seems to have done the trick though I'll keep my eye on it.

Have run a virus check and nothing comes up.

What is strange is that I copied the file then renamed it with an almost identical name and it changed the file view in the window and kicked out the programme again.

The file contains hundreds of photos and I always had it to default to thumbnail so i could see the shots I was looking for. Now the file view has changed back to tile it seems to work. Not sure if that has anything to do with it but I'd be interested to know what you think.

Cheers again
________
Jaguar XJR-9 history

SoftStag

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2008 6:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I suspect that one of the picture files is corrupt and when Windows tries to display it's thumbnail it crashes. I suggest you check the drive for errors, to do this, do the following:
Arrow Open My Computer
Arrow Right click on the drive that needs to be checked (probably C: )
Arrow Select Properties, then the Tools tab at the top
Arrow Now click on Check now...
Arrow Check both the options and click Start

This will take some time to complete!
"Microsoft programs are generally bug-free. If you visit the Microsoft hotline, you'll literally have to wait weeks if not months until someone calls in with a bug in one of our programs. 99.99% of calls turn out to be user mistakes. I know not a single less irrelevant reason for an update than bugfixes. The reasons for updates are to present more new features."
-- Bill Gates, on code stability, from Focus Magazine
Reply to topic    Free PC Support Forum Home -> Helproom All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: