Free PC Support
PC Help Forums from the Experts at Technical-Assistance.co.uk

Google

Search The Web Search This Site
 RSS FeedRSS Feed   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Please help with win98 service pack install
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Reply to topic    Free PC Support Forum Home -> Helproom
Golliath

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2008 9:53 am    Post subject: Please help with win98 service pack install Reply with quote

First, let me say, what a wonderful resource this place is. Thank you for existing!

I am in the midst of installing the unofficial Win98 service pack found here. It offers a number of choices upon installing ... I don't know what half of then are!

Please advise as to the recommended choices for a bog-standard win98 laptop (233 MMx pentium 160Mb of RAM) that I am attempting to bring back to useful life.
Other than the "Main update" what ought I choose? Just looking for basic, solid functionality. I will then go on to install the drivers pack.

Speaking of the drivers, it says to remove all installed USB drivers before attempting to install the generic driver pack. I know I have some, I have had to install them for varios devices (cameras, flash drives etc ) but I can't see any in Device mananger. Where else should I look?

Many many thanks in advance!
SoftStag

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2008 1:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The main update should be sufficient.

You will not see any USB devices in Device Manager unless they are attached to the computer. You should remove anything that has an entry in Add/Remove Programs.
"Microsoft programs are generally bug-free. If you visit the Microsoft hotline, you'll literally have to wait weeks if not months until someone calls in with a bug in one of our programs. 99.99% of calls turn out to be user mistakes. I know not a single less irrelevant reason for an update than bugfixes. The reasons for updates are to present more new features."
-- Bill Gates, on code stability, from Focus Magazine
Golliath

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2008 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks....but disaster has struck!

I can only boot into safe mode after the installation of Win98 service pack.
I get an error message saying that my display adapter is not compatible and then when I reboot, I get a Windows self protection message.

Not so groovy.

Am I cooked? I no longer have the original disks.
SoftStag

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2008 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try going in to Safe Mode and deleting the display adapter from Device Manager. Then reboot in to normal mode.

What happens then? If you get an error, can you give the exact details.
"Microsoft programs are generally bug-free. If you visit the Microsoft hotline, you'll literally have to wait weeks if not months until someone calls in with a bug in one of our programs. 99.99% of calls turn out to be user mistakes. I know not a single less irrelevant reason for an update than bugfixes. The reasons for updates are to present more new features."
Golliath

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2008 10:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, well, I did that.

Upon reboot, Windows "found" new hardware, the display panel, and asked to be restarted.

It then showed the message:

"Windows protection error. You need to restart your computer" and then, restarted itself in safe mode.

That's the same one it shows every time since the service pack.

Any ideas?
SoftStag

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2008 7:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try disabling the display adapter in Device Manager in Safe Mode.
Golliath

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2008 7:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK will do.

I appreciate your help with this, by the way! Smile
Golliath

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2008 8:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmm well, I only see the options "Refresh, Remove. Print and properties"

If I boot into safe mode, and then shut down I can (sort of boot) normally, however the screen looks exactly as it does in safe mode Ie large icons and only a few colours (16?).

Cheers.
SoftStag

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2008 11:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, to disable, you would need to go in to Properties and then select Disable In This Hardware Profile.

So you are now not getting the Windows Protection Error? With the Display Adapter either uninstalled or disabled you will get a screen like Safe Mode in Normal Mode. I am trying to stop the Windows Protection Error from happening, then we can sort out the rest of it...
Golliath

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2008 12:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, in the 'Device Manager- 'Display Adapter Properties' tab, I can only see 'General' .... 'Hardware Profiles' and 'Performance' are not selectable, so unfortunately I cannot adjust them.

As far as booting goes... I am able to boot into regular Windows, but with huge clumsy graphics and limited (16?) colours.

From start, the process goes; first boot fails with 'Windows Protection' message which opens the black and white seven choice menu, suggesting 'Safe Mode' at the next attempt.
From there, should I choose 'Normal' it will boot and then stop at a message saying 'There is a problem with your display settings. The adapter type is incorrect or the current settings do not work with your hardware."

When I cancel that message, I do get in...sort of.

G.
SoftStag

PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2008 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you know what graphics card your computer has? Or the exact make and model of the computer?
Golliath

PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2008 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah, Mr Softstag, I have been waiting for you!
Yes I do.
It's an Acer Extensa (called Travelmate in some markets) 500T and the graphics are NeoMagic MagicGraph 128ZV+ [Display adapter].

Thanks, G,
Reply to topic    Free PC Support Forum Home -> Helproom All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: