Free PC Support
PC Help Forums from the Experts at Technical-Assistance.co.uk

Google

Search The Web Search This Site
 RSS FeedRSS Feed   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

PNY 1Gb USB 2.0 Flash Drive not recognized in WIN98SE

Reply to topic    Free PC Support Forum Home -> Helproom
Prof?

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2007 1:50 pm    Post subject: PNY 1Gb USB 2.0 Flash Drive not recognized in WIN98SE Reply with quote

Spent 2 days. I first tried the downloads from the PNY website, they failed. Tried some from Driver's Guide, no luck. I then tried NUSB20e and then NUSB31e(from your website) and followed their instructions but Device Manager still saw the Flash Drive as UNKNOWN! I have a VIA Tech 4 port PCI card with 2.0 support and have no problem with my HP Photosmart camera. Three quirks that may help diagnose my problem are with the "unknown" FlashDrv connected:
: My DialUp (HSPMicro) wont work. (No dial tone etc....) but there are no IRQ conflicts or problem devices shown in Sys Info.
: Sometimes my serial mouse hangs (fixes easily with Device Manager refresh).
: If I install microsoft's USB.inf, Windows disables the unknown FlashDrv device.

HELP PLEASE :!:
Henry

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2007 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Prof?

I've got very similar problems with a Compaq Presario 1277 laptop running 98SE.
I've tried a couple of different flash drives. One is 256Mb, the other 2Gb.
Neither of them work, although both are recognised by device manager as being present but requiring drivers.
I tried both Nusb31e (comes back with "Package not compatible with the version of Windows you are running") and Nusb24e (comes back with "A required resoure cannot be located").

Has anyone got any suggestions?

Henry
SoftStag

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2007 5:33 pm    Post subject: Re: PNY 1Gb USB 2.0 Flash Drive not recognized in WIN98SE Reply with quote

Prof? wrote:
Spent 2 days. I first tried the downloads from the PNY website, they failed. Tried some from Driver's Guide, no luck. I then tried NUSB20e and then NUSB31e(from your website) and followed their instructions but Device Manager still saw the Flash Drive as UNKNOWN! I have a VIA Tech 4 port PCI card with 2.0 support and have no problem with my HP Photosmart camera. Three quirks that may help diagnose my problem are with the "unknown" FlashDrv connected:
: My DialUp (HSPMicro) wont work. (No dial tone etc....) but there are no IRQ conflicts or problem devices shown in Sys Info.
: Sometimes my serial mouse hangs (fixes easily with Device Manager refresh).
: If I install microsoft's USB.inf, Windows disables the unknown FlashDrv device.

HELP PLEASE Exclamation

Try uninstalling the VIA USB Controller drivers, then install nusb31e.
"Microsoft programs are generally bug-free. If you visit the Microsoft hotline, you'll literally have to wait weeks if not months until someone calls in with a bug in one of our programs. 99.99% of calls turn out to be user mistakes. I know not a single less irrelevant reason for an update than bugfixes. The reasons for updates are to present more new features."
-- Bill Gates, on code stability, from Focus Magazine
SoftStag

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2007 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Henry wrote:
Prof?

I've got very similar problems with a Compaq Presario 1277 laptop running 98SE.
I've tried a couple of different flash drives. One is 256Mb, the other 2Gb.
Neither of them work, although both are recognised by device manager as being present but requiring drivers.
I tried both Nusb31e (comes back with "Package not compatible with the version of Windows you are running") and Nusb24e (comes back with "A required resoure cannot be located").

Has anyone got any suggestions?

Henry

This is not the first Compaq I've heard about giving this problem. I wonder if Compaq used a slightly different build of 98SE???? Try typing winver from a command prompt and see what version it says.
"Microsoft programs are generally bug-free. If you visit the Microsoft hotline, you'll literally have to wait weeks if not months until someone calls in with a bug in one of our programs. 99.99% of calls turn out to be user mistakes. I know not a single less irrelevant reason for an update than bugfixes. The reasons for updates are to present more new features."
-- Bill Gates, on code stability, from Focus Magazine
Henry

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2007 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Woops!
It's running Win 98, not 98SE.
I can hopefully solve it now by loading SE.

Thanks
exon3

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2007 5:47 am    Post subject: I have no fix for win98: driver for USB Flash and NDIS2 Reply with quote

Henry wrote:
Woops!
It's running Win 98, not 98SE.
I can hopefully solve it now by loading SE.

Thanks

Well, I know that stevenfr posted an answer re a driver for a USB flash drive for win98, on Fri Feb 17, :24 pm
Post subject: Re: Win98 USB Mass Storage Device drivers
Archived from groups:
"I noticed you need a usb driver for win 98, I think for the Aigo A205. I
have the same device and will be happy to post you the driver for it." If you are out there, stevenfr, I need your help. I also have a non-functioning driver for the NDIS2 network adapter, with no source known for a new driver, so I can no longer use my home network! Help, anyone?
Reply to topic    Free PC Support Forum Home -> Helproom All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: