Free PC Support
PC Help Forums from the Experts at Technical-Assistance.co.uk

Google

Search The Web Search This Site
 RSS FeedRSS Feed   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Power on problem

Reply to topic    Free PC Support Forum Home -> Helproom
deanhitchcock

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2008 10:34 am    Post subject: Power on problem Reply with quote

Hello,

i recently purchased a new PC, so i disconnected my old tower and plugged in the new one. My father used my old PC to read some hard drives as his computer went pop and couldnt get his work off them.

The problem is that i then had severe faults with this new purchased PC, so sent it back, i now want to use my old PC again, but when i go to turn it on after connecting it up, the power button seems redundant.

All the cables are connected from the front panel controls to the mobo, and the power is detected on the mobo as it is lit up, but the power button will not activate a "turn on" process.

Is there any obvious faults that i may have?

I was thinking along the lines of loose connection of power button contactors.

Thanks in advance for all helpful posts.
SoftStag

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2008 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It could just be a lose connection somewhere. Make sure everything is seated correctly, in particular the IDE cable to the hard drive (both ends). Sometimes if the IDE cable is not connected properly the PC won't turn on to protect itself.
"Microsoft programs are generally bug-free. If you visit the Microsoft hotline, you'll literally have to wait weeks if not months until someone calls in with a bug in one of our programs. 99.99% of calls turn out to be user mistakes. I know not a single less irrelevant reason for an update than bugfixes. The reasons for updates are to present more new features."
-- Bill Gates, on code stability, from Focus Magazine
deanhitchcock

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2008 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks stag, i looked earlier today inside and double checked (well triple checked) all connections and found the SATA cable into one of the Hard Drives was out, i replaced this back in its correct location. I still had no success.

I have just again double checked and pushed all connections on secure,...still no power :*(

Help! Razz
SoftStag

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2008 5:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, try removing all PCI cards and disconnecting all drives from the motherboad. You should be left with motherboard with processor, graphics card (if separate), and RAM.

Does it power on now?
"Microsoft programs are generally bug-free. If you visit the Microsoft hotline, you'll literally have to wait weeks if not months until someone calls in with a bug in one of our programs. 99.99% of calls turn out to be user mistakes. I know not a single less irrelevant reason for an update than bugfixes. The reasons for updates are to present more new features."
-- Bill Gates, on code stability, from Focus Magazine
Reply to topic    Free PC Support Forum Home -> Helproom All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: