Free PC Support
PC Help Forums from the Experts at Technical-Assistance.co.uk

Google

Search The Web Search This Site
 RSS FeedRSS Feed   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Power saving options with XP
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Reply to topic    Free PC Support Forum Home -> Helproom
wood

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2008 8:51 am    Post subject: Power saving options with XP Reply with quote

I am a new member, so a bit green!

I have my power saving options set to enable standby and hibernation, but the cooling fan continues to run. The UPS tab shows a yellow triangle with message 'The UPS service is currently stopped'.

Is it possible my hardware does not support hibernation?
SoftStag

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2008 6:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is possible, but most modern computers do support hibernation. What spec is your PC? Also, do you have UPS? I'm confused as to why this would even be there, as few people have UPS systems.
"Microsoft programs are generally bug-free. If you visit the Microsoft hotline, you'll literally have to wait weeks if not months until someone calls in with a bug in one of our programs. 99.99% of calls turn out to be user mistakes. I know not a single less irrelevant reason for an update than bugfixes. The reasons for updates are to present more new features."
-- Bill Gates, on code stability, from Focus Magazine
wood

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2008 10:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks SofStag. My PC is 5 years old, built by Power Computing, with ASUS-A7N266-VM motherboard and AMD Athlon XP 2200+ 1.80Ghz SOA processor. I don't have UPS.
SoftStag

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2008 2:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you use a USB keyboard or mouse?
"Microsoft programs are generally bug-free. If you visit the Microsoft hotline, you'll literally have to wait weeks if not months until someone calls in with a bug in one of our programs. 99.99% of calls turn out to be user mistakes. I know not a single less irrelevant reason for an update than bugfixes. The reasons for updates are to present more new features."
wood

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2008 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, both have individual plugs (round - not sure of correct name!)
SoftStag

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2008 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, I think we need to have a look at the BIOS settings. To do this restart your computer, and immediately start tapping the <del> key until you get in to the BIOS Setup screen. Use the arrow keys to access the Power menu. Set the ACPI Suspend to RAM option to Enabled, then save settings and exit.

Does this make any difference?
wood

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2008 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok. Have changed BIOS settings as suggested and set my Power Options as: Turn off monitor 2 mins; Turn off H Discs 3 mins; System standby 5 mins; System hibernates 10 mins.

What happens now is that the monitor goes blank at 2 mins but powers on again at 10 mins! There is no change to the fan, which keeps going.

Sorry to be a pain.
SoftStag

PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2008 6:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, set the BIOS settings back to how they were before. Then in the Power Options in XP, set the Power Scheme to Minimal Power Management. You can now change the times for the various settings. See if that helps?
wood

PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2008 9:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good morning! Yes, I have reset the BIOS and tried the Minimal Power Management setting, but the fan still continues after the hibernation time expires. I did notice in the BIOS though that the 'HDD Power Down' setting is 'disabled' - is this possibly significant?

I appreciate very much the time you have spent on this already - if its becoming a pain, please cast me aside and I will just stay as I am?
SoftStag

PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2008 10:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The hard drive setting shouldn't make any difference, although you can try playing with these settings if you wish, just remember how they were originally!

Do you have any USB devices connected to your PC?
wood

PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2008 10:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a Epson Stylus RX685 permanently connected and a smartphone lead which is used to synchronise with the PC.
SoftStag

PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2008 10:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try unplugging these and let the computer go to sleep. Does this help?
Reply to topic    Free PC Support Forum Home -> Helproom All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: