Free PC Support
PC Help Forums from the Experts at Technical-Assistance.co.uk

Google

Search The Web Search This Site
 RSS FeedRSS Feed   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Premiere Elements and AMD Athlon processor - help please!

Reply to topic    Free PC Support Forum Home -> Helproom
Funky01

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2007 6:56 pm    Post subject: Premiere Elements and AMD Athlon processor - help please! Reply with quote

Hi,

Ive been desperately trying to burn a slideshow to DVD using Adobe Premiere Elements for ages now, but every time, the system crashes. I wondered if maybe I needed more RAM, so yesterday I bought an extra 1GB of RAM and had it installed. I got home all revved up thinking I had it sussed, but again I woke to discover the system had crashed yet again. Crying or Very sad

I then tried again, but burning to a file instead of DVD as I thought that might work, but again it didnt work.

I have a HP Pavillion PC with Windows XP Media Centre Edition. I have 250gb hard drive and now 2.5 RAM! I wonder if its my processor - I'm running with the AMD Athlon 64 4200 Dual Core, however I keep reading that the AMD Athlon needs to have SSE2 Support when using with Elements. I have no idea what this is, and whether or not I already have it. And if I dont, I dont know if its something I can get hold of and add in easily!

Can anyone help? I seem to have spent a fortune so far trying to use this flamin' programme! Mad

Please help me! Confused

Thanks.
Steve

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2007 6:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow! That's some machine you have there. It should be able to do pretty much anything!

Don't worry about the SSE2 bit, the Athlon X2 can do SSE, SSE2 and SSE3, amongst other instruction sets.

What version of Premiere Elements are you using? Also, do you get an error when it crashes, or does the whole PC just lock up? If you do get an error, what is it?
SoftStag

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2007 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steve wrote:
What version of Premiere Elements are you using? Also, do you get an error when it crashes, or does the whole PC just lock up? If you do get an error, what is it?

This info would be a big help.

Steve is right about the SSE2 part also. SSE2 just adds additional instructions that the processor can perform, a bit like extra buttons on a scientific calculator gives additional functions....

It would also be useful to know if you are experiencing any other problems at all. Worryingly this particular problem reminds me of a PC I was trying to fix that hung when trying to convert a large AVI file to burn as a DVD. Everything conceivable was tried, and eventually it was fixed by replacing the processor (Athlon XP I think). Oddly everything worked, but for some reason that processor had a fault that only showed itself doing the one function. I'm hoping your problem does not turn out to be the same as something like that is virtually impossible to diagnose!
"Microsoft programs are generally bug-free. If you visit the Microsoft hotline, you'll literally have to wait weeks if not months until someone calls in with a bug in one of our programs. 99.99% of calls turn out to be user mistakes. I know not a single less irrelevant reason for an update than bugfixes. The reasons for updates are to present more new features."
-- Bill Gates, on code stability, from Focus Magazine
Funky01

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2007 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

Thanks for your replies.

I'm using Premiere Elements 2. There is no error message usually. the computer just fresezes compeltely, or even worse - turns itself off! Then when I turn it back on, I get a messages saying that the pc has recovered from a serious error.

I have since also tried to burn a DVD using Pinnacle which I also had on y system. I thought that seeing as Pinnacle demands a lot less then Premier Elements, that it might work, but still I get the same problems.

My husband is having a play about with it now, and he found something in the disk defragmenter bit that says that the D drive doesnt have enough memory. Is the D drive my DVD burner? If so, I didnt realise it even had memory! I know i have 195GB free on my hard drive, but the D drive shows very little available. Could this be the problem??

I'm not overly technical I'm afraid, so any help, in easy terms would be very much appreciated!!

Many Thanks.
SoftStag

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2007 12:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The fact that the system freezes, or turns off, when burning a DVD suggests that the problem lies with the hardware itself. I'm not sure there is going to be much you can actually do yourself to get this working. I would suggest contacting HP Support regarding this, as I'm sure your PC will be under warranty. It sounds to me like either the DVD drive, or more likely, the motherboard is faulty.

You could have a look in Device Manager to see if that is showing any devices with a problem (yellow circle and exclamation mark).

You will need to look in My Computer to see what the D drive is, I can't tell. Most often the D drive would be your DVD drive, but this is by no means always the case. I would hazard a guess that it is not because Defragmenter should not attempt to defragment an optical drive.
"Microsoft programs are generally bug-free. If you visit the Microsoft hotline, you'll literally have to wait weeks if not months until someone calls in with a bug in one of our programs. 99.99% of calls turn out to be user mistakes. I know not a single less irrelevant reason for an update than bugfixes. The reasons for updates are to present more new features."
Funky01

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2007 4:03 pm    Post subject: Thanks Softstag Reply with quote

Thanks for trying to help me with this.

I have since tried burning a DVD with both Premiere Elements and Pinnacle on an external DVD drive that I had. Still, the same problem occurs. So it appears the issue is definitely not with the drive, but with the hardware itself (not the software as it would be too coincidental for both Elements and Pinnacle not to work, surely!).

What you say about the D drive should not be able to be defragmented makes sense. I know very little techie stuff about PC's but I have to say, it did sound a bit wierd to defragment something that I didnt think would hold any memory anyway. But as I didnt know for sure, I thought I'd ask! Smile

So, your other suggestion of the motherboard is sounding likely. I know that's part of the internal makeup (and quite an important bit lol Confused ), but other than that, I'm not sure I know what it actually does.

I assume that as I bought the PC in September (from Comet), that as part of my warranty, the motherboard could be replaced. Do you think so? Perhaps they'd test it to ensure it is that first? Not sure if I need to go through Comet or HP, but I'll try both I think.

If you have any other suggestions, please do let me know.

Many Thanks,

Sadie
SoftStag

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2007 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Given that 2 different programs give the same result when trying to burn a DVD, it is unlikely to be a software problem. It could be a Windows related issue, but given that the PC shuts down, this is very unlikely. My money is on a hardware fault.

The motherboard is a very important part of the computer, it controls everything and ties together all the other parts. If it is faulty, it can be replaced by an engineer, and shouldn't be a problem.

I would imagine Comet will direct you to HP if you call them.
Funky01

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2007 8:41 am    Post subject: Thanks Softstag Reply with quote

I'll contact Comet. At least I can sound like I know what I'm talking about a bit more now I've had your help aswell! Razz

I'll let you know what they come back with.

Thanks loads. You're a gem. Cool
Reply to topic    Free PC Support Forum Home -> Helproom All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: