Free PC Support
PC Help Forums from the Experts at Technical-Assistance.co.uk

Google

Search The Web Search This Site
 RSS FeedRSS Feed   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

problem getting broadband for Windows98SE

Reply to topic    Free PC Support Forum Home -> Helproom
starrycc

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2007 7:58 pm    Post subject: problem getting broadband for Windows98SE Reply with quote

I've tried to install the TalkTalk broadband CDrom on my Windows 98SE computer but two problems came up - one is the CD stops running when it reaches the 'install security software' stage and the other is the modem is not recognised and the computer needs a driver to be specified for the modem (it says 'new usb device detected' and expects me to find a driver file for it).

Can you help? I am desperate to get onto broadband.
SoftStag

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2007 8:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The modem will not be recognised by the PC unless the drivers are installed. These will probably be installed from the CD as you go through the setup.

It sounds like the CD is faulty. I would recommend contacting Talk Talk to get a replacement.
"Microsoft programs are generally bug-free. If you visit the Microsoft hotline, you'll literally have to wait weeks if not months until someone calls in with a bug in one of our programs. 99.99% of calls turn out to be user mistakes. I know not a single less irrelevant reason for an update than bugfixes. The reasons for updates are to present more new features."
-- Bill Gates, on code stability, from Focus Magazine
starrycc

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2007 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks
I thought that was the problem.
Talk Talk technical support said I need to upgrade to a XP computer and the CDRom will run automatically.

Perhaps the CDRom is a problem
But a friend has had the same trouble with security soiftware not loading properly on a new Vista computer. They've had to uninstall Norton's Antivirus and download security from other websites - but I cannot get onto the Internet via the broadband modem

I was wondering if I could download the security software online via my dial-up connection and then try to install broadband, but still there's the problem of not finding a driver file for the USB device.
SoftStag

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2007 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looking through the Talk Talk website, they do state that you need Windows XP or 2000. It looks like the modem can be connected via ethernet, in which case if you have an ethernet card you should connect using that and follow Talk Talk's instructions for Windows Vista users.
"Microsoft programs are generally bug-free. If you visit the Microsoft hotline, you'll literally have to wait weeks if not months until someone calls in with a bug in one of our programs. 99.99% of calls turn out to be user mistakes. I know not a single less irrelevant reason for an update than bugfixes. The reasons for updates are to present more new features."
markblu

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2007 12:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

please use ethernet, your connection will be faster and you don't have to install all that software or drivers. if you don't have an ethernet pci card they can be bought for 10 dollars now.
SoftStag

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2007 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

markblu wrote:
please use ethernet, your connection will be faster and you don't have to install all that software or drivers. if you don't have an ethernet pci card they can be bought for 10 dollars now.

Judging by the fact that starrycc is on Talk Talk, (s)he must be in the UK, so $10 doesn't really apply!
Ethernet Card
markblu

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2007 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thank you softstag, my mistake Idea
Steve

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2007 5:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd buy a wireless router, this will replace the modem all together. If you don't want to use wireless at the moment, this feature can be turned off, but it makes it easy for you to go wireless later. The router can be connected to your PC via ethernet, all you then need to do is insert your Talk Talk connection details in to the router, and you're away! Mr. Green
Reply to topic    Free PC Support Forum Home -> Helproom All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: