Free PC Support
PC Help Forums from the Experts at Technical-Assistance.co.uk

Google

Search The Web Search This Site
 RSS FeedRSS Feed   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Problem with save locations on separate hard disks

Reply to topic    Free PC Support Forum Home -> Helproom
Enceladus

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2008 12:22 am    Post subject: Problem with save locations on separate hard disks Reply with quote

Hi everyone,

I'm new here as you can tell. It's not often I post for help regarding PC issues but the solution to this one has eluded me for a while and it's getting annoying.

The problem is quite difficult to describe. Basically, I have two internal hard disks, one of which I copy data to as a backup (I know this would be fairly useless in the event of a power surge or something). To make it clear, I copy and paste 'C:\Documents and Settings\My Name\My Documents' and 'C:\Documents and Settings\All Users' to my secondary hard disk, named 'D:\'.

Since the last time I copied the data, certain files have been saving to the My Documents contained within 'D:\' rather than the original on 'C:\' where they belong. These include files transferred over MSN, which now go into My Received Files on 'D:\' rather than 'C:\'. Also, certain programs have since been saving to 'D:\' by default.

This isnt a critical problem yet, but it's very annoying. I've tried deleting all the data from 'D:\', which windows won't allow due to there being system files present. I've managed to copy back most of the data, so at least now I can tell at a glance which location I'm saving to, but when I recieve transferred files, windows creates a new 'My Recieved Files' on 'D:\' and they end up there.

I'm willing to format the disk, but I'm unsure as to whether it's a physical drive or a partition, and what ramifications this could have on my PC. I can't be entirely sure I didn't actually cut and paste the data rather than copying and pasting, as I back up this data frequently and I could have had a lapse of mind, but I see this as very unlikely because all the data in the original files stayed where it was.

So, that brings me to the array of questions I have:

Firstly, if I format the drive 'D:\' and it turns out to be a partition, will this adversely affect the data on my primary drive, 'C:\'?

If I copied system-critical files to a secondary drive, will windows arbitrarily not allow me to delete them because they are tagged as system-related, even though they exist on the primary hard-disk?

Is there any other way to delete this data other than formatting?

What can I have done to cause windows to make the copied folders the default save locations for applications like MSN? Are there invisible folders or registry keys that handle this kind of thing? If so, can they easily be changed?

Is formatting the data on 'D:\' likely to solve my problem, or will windows simply keep creating the folders it needs on 'D:\' and the data will keep going there?

I should probably make it clear that this isn't a case of me now being able to save where I want- I can quite easily navigate to the appropriate directory if applications allow this. However, certain applications don't have any option but the default save location (MSN, for example) and having to determine which drive data has saved to can be annoying.

I know this is a lot of stuff to read, thanks for hearing out my problem. Also, I realise you're not obliged to help me, and I'm very grateful of any advice and help. Thanks in advance!

-Billy
Enceladus

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2008 12:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi again, I've recieved advice on another forum and I'm going to attempt a format of my secondary drive. I'll let you know how it goes. In the meantime, please feel free to contribute to the thread. This will be useful for anyone experiencing similar problems in future Razz

EDIT: Right, I've formatted the drive and it's now empty. All seems well, and I see no reason why anything would be redirected there now.
Reply to topic    Free PC Support Forum Home -> Helproom All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: