Free PC Support
PC Help Forums from the Experts at Technical-Assistance.co.uk

Google

Search The Web Search This Site
 RSS FeedRSS Feed   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

problems installing XP Pro

Reply to topic    Free PC Support Forum Home -> Helproom
swanmark

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2009 5:17 pm    Post subject: problems installing XP Pro Reply with quote

Hi Guys, this is my first question, I bought a new comp last september which had no OS, i installed vista business, anyway i have tried it until now and i dont like it, so I tried to install my copy of xp pro, from my old computer, I used the xp disc to format the HDD, which it did, then it instlled the windows files and restarted, thats when my problem arose, because all i get now is a disc read error, i have gone into the repair section through the xp disc, i have run chkdsk, which found a few errors, i then ran fixmbr and fixboot, but i still get nothing can someone please help, thanks in advance
SoftStag

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2009 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It sounds like there may be a problem with the hard drive. What is the exact error, and where exactly does it come up?
"Microsoft programs are generally bug-free. If you visit the Microsoft hotline, you'll literally have to wait weeks if not months until someone calls in with a bug in one of our programs. 99.99% of calls turn out to be user mistakes. I know not a single less irrelevant reason for an update than bugfixes. The reasons for updates are to present more new features."
-- Bill Gates, on code stability, from Focus Magazine
swanmark

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2009 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well to be honest i cant see it being a hard drive problem, because the computer was working fine, its just I did`nt like Vista, the error says disc read error restart, it comes after the the computer reboots having loaded the xp window files, the next screen should be when xp is now installing the files, but it just keeps giving the error message so xp is not installing
SoftStag

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2009 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Disc read error restart" is the exact error? Does this come on a black screen with white writing, or is it within the XP Setup?

It could be referring to the XP CD - it can't read that; however if that were the case it would ask you to insert the disk.

I would recommend trying to reinstall again, only ensure that you delete the partition on the hard drive and create a new one (note that this will wipe all data on the drive) - this can be done during the Windows Setup where it asks where to install Windows.
"Microsoft programs are generally bug-free. If you visit the Microsoft hotline, you'll literally have to wait weeks if not months until someone calls in with a bug in one of our programs. 99.99% of calls turn out to be user mistakes. I know not a single less irrelevant reason for an update than bugfixes. The reasons for updates are to present more new features."
swanmark

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2009 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok just deleted the partition, then went through the process of making new partition and loading the xp installation files, it then came to the restart screen and restarted, the black screen with white writing then comes up and the error message says disck read error restart by pressing alt delte etc
SoftStag

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2009 9:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It sounds like there is a problem with the hard drive. The error suggests that at active partition can't be found or read properly. You could try repartitioning the hard drive with some 3rd party software to see if that can help. Alternatively try installing Vista again and see if that can get the hard drive working.

You mentioned previously that chkdsk found errors, so this may be indicative of the hard drive starting to fail.
Reply to topic    Free PC Support Forum Home -> Helproom All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: