Free PC Support
PC Help Forums from the Experts at Technical-Assistance.co.uk

Google

Search The Web Search This Site
 RSS FeedRSS Feed   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Problems upgrading Windows XP
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Reply to topic    Free PC Support Forum Home -> Helproom
Zappylady

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2010 4:51 pm    Post subject: Problems upgrading Windows XP Reply with quote

Hello

My daughter hasn't been online with her computer for over two years and now has a 3 dongle. I have been given the task to update the operating system.

Her windows XP has SP2 and there is no way I can update anything - it just won't!! She has, what was bought new as a genuine OEM Windows XP disc - I have checked the drivers and none of them are digitally signed. When I try to download AXtiveX to do a windows update, it appears as though it has installed but I still can't get windows auto install to work. Automatic updates are enabled and I left it on all night connected to my broadband and nothing has installed.

Have tried to update IE6 to 8, Windows Media player etc. nothing will update.

There are two users one is Golden Electronics who the PC was bought from and my daughter. I have tried updating on both accounts - no joy. It states that my daughter is the admnistrator although when I go to the other user there is a box with the Windows Serial No asking for a password although I don't know what this could be.

Can anybody help, please
SoftStag

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2010 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Zappylady, welcome to the forums!

You say that you cannot update Windows, what happens when you try? Is there any error message?
"Microsoft programs are generally bug-free. If you visit the Microsoft hotline, you'll literally have to wait weeks if not months until someone calls in with a bug in one of our programs. 99.99% of calls turn out to be user mistakes. I know not a single less irrelevant reason for an update than bugfixes. The reasons for updates are to present more new features."
-- Bill Gates, on code stability, from Focus Magazine
Zappylady

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2010 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It asks me to download axtivex although it won't let me install it as it says there is a registration error.
Zappylady

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2010 8:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Apologies, I never said hello to everyone!!
Zappylady

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2010 12:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

Have sorted it - when I tried to install internet Explorer 8 it came up with the error about Cryptograph Service not started and yet it was.

Did search and in the end had to stop Cryptograph Service - Run-cmd - add some code and then restart the service and the Update Windows now works at Microsoft - it is at this moment installing SP3.

I also renamed a file in Windows/system32 - not sure if I should rename the file back again though.
Zappylady

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2010 10:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi again

Have spent all day updating windows XP - IE8, Medial Player 10, cleaning, defragmenting and I only have one problem left (at the moment!!) which is:-

The Sony DVD-RW DW-Q30A was not playing dvd's or cd's originally although now it will play DVD's but NOT cd's. I have installed the codec package.

In Windows Media Player it shows empty in the CD drive (What's playing now). The CD spins for a short while and then gives up.

The driver, I think, is SSL3 and I have tried to look for an update for the driver although I don't know if this is the problem or could it be a plugin is missing?

The drive shows up in device manager as all working OK - although it doesn't show up as a CD-rom drive - should it show up as a CD-rom drive as well as a DVD-RW?

Any help would be appreciated.
SoftStag

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2010 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm pleased to hear that you got your original issue resolved. With regard to playing CDs, are you referring just to audio CDs, or will data CDs not work either?
"Microsoft programs are generally bug-free. If you visit the Microsoft hotline, you'll literally have to wait weeks if not months until someone calls in with a bug in one of our programs. 99.99% of calls turn out to be user mistakes. I know not a single less irrelevant reason for an update than bugfixes. The reasons for updates are to present more new features."
Zappylady

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2010 12:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

No, audio is fine and the DVD player is fine - it's just the cd-rom isn't recognised within Windows Media Player. Yesterday whilst I was updating and re-starting etc etc it worked with very broken audio just for a few minutes and then stopped and it hasn't worked since. Weird!!

Also, whilst I was installing the mobile broadband dongle the 'found hardware' stated that new hardware had been found 'cd-rom', I thought it had, for some reason, picked it up but it still doesn't work in media player. In device manager it states DVD-RW DW-Q30A is working properly. The driver is old it is something like YYS3 and I have read that there is now a YYS7 but I can't find a download anywhere for it.
Zappylady

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2010 1:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, misread your message, I will check tomorrow if a data CD works and report back
SoftStag

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2010 10:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zappylady wrote:
Also, whilst I was installing the mobile broadband dongle the 'found hardware' stated that new hardware had been found 'cd-rom', I thought it had, for some reason, picked it up but it still doesn't work in media player. In device manager it states DVD-RW DW-Q30A is working properly. The driver is old it is something like YYS3 and I have read that there is now a YYS7 but I can't find a download anywhere for it.

Don't worry about the driver being old etc. so long as it says it is working. Windows uses generic drivers for the vast majority of CD/DVD drives, but puts the correct firmware name on the device.
Zappylady

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2010 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi
Have checked and no data disc will work either.

DVD still works fine with request coming up 'do you want to play a dvd? etc.
SoftStag

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2010 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the DVD functions work correctly, but the CD functions do not work, it is most likely a faulty drive. DVDs and CDs use different lasers, the one that does the CDs is faulty. It is possible to get the lasers changed, but probably as cheap and far easier to change the drive.
Reply to topic    Free PC Support Forum Home -> Helproom All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: