Free PC Support
PC Help Forums from the Experts at Technical-Assistance.co.uk

Google

Search The Web Search This Site
 RSS FeedRSS Feed   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Processor Upgrade

Reply to topic    Free PC Support Forum Home -> Helproom

Which is better for general computer usage?? (Internet, IRC, some gaming EG GTA:SA)
A less powerful dual core
50%
 50%  [ 1 ]
A more powerful single core
50%
 50%  [ 1 ]
Total Votes : 2

dement0r

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2007 4:56 pm    Post subject: Processor Upgrade Reply with quote

I want to upgrade my processor and was wondering if someone could please tell me which of the following would be better:

http://www.aria.co.uk/Products/Components/CPUs+%2F+Processors/AMD/Athlon+64+X2+Socket+AM2/AMD+Athlon+64+X2+Dual+Core+3800%2B+2.00GHz+%28AM2%29+?productId=22851

Or

http://www.aria.co.uk/Products/Components/CPUs+%2F+Processors/AMD/Athlon+64+Socket+AM2/AMD+Athlon+64+3800%2B+2.40GHz+%28AM2%29+?productId=27007

In short, a more powerful single core, or a less powerful dual core?
SoftStag

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2007 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This really depends on what you want to do with the computer, and what operating system you are using.

If you are using Windows XP 64bit, or Windows Vista, then these can take advantage of the dual core. If using previous MS operating systems, then you will be far better off with the single core. If you generally use a single application at once, or older software designed for single thread processing, then you are better off with the single core. If you are using more modern software, and multi tasking then the dual core will be best.

Personally I'd probably go with the Dual Core, this will probably give the best performance. Use it with Windows XP 64 or Vista.
"Microsoft programs are generally bug-free. If you visit the Microsoft hotline, you'll literally have to wait weeks if not months until someone calls in with a bug in one of our programs. 99.99% of calls turn out to be user mistakes. I know not a single less irrelevant reason for an update than bugfixes. The reasons for updates are to present more new features."
-- Bill Gates, on code stability, from Focus Magazine
markblu

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2007 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would definitely go with the single core for all out gamers. a rule of thumb is the higher the mhz the higher the fps. but if you run World of War Craft while chatting on Teamspeak and ripping a DVD all at the same time, get dual core. you get the idea.
Steve

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2007 5:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd go for the Dual Core. This is the future of computing. If you have Vista it can take advantage of the 2 cores and 64bit processing. GHz don't necessarily equal power, the other features of a processor are just as important. Mr. Green
Reply to topic    Free PC Support Forum Home -> Helproom All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: