Free PC Support
PC Help Forums from the Experts at Technical-Assistance.co.uk

Google

Search The Web Search This Site
 RSS FeedRSS Feed   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Programs can't connect to the internet anymore
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Reply to topic    Free PC Support Forum Home -> Helproom
AP

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2009 12:16 pm    Post subject: Programs can't connect to the internet anymore Reply with quote

Hello there,

I am running a wireless network at home, with a PS3 and a laptop using the wireless connection. The PS3 is working fine, but a couple of weeks ago the laptop started saying "Acquiring Network Address" and the internet stopped working, even though the signal to the router was full strength.

Now my main PC is having problems. Since yesterday, none of the programs on my PC can connect to the internet -

Filezilla - ECONNREFUSED - Connection refused by server.
Ad-Aware - System error: 1810 has occured. Description: Service is not online. Application terminates.
Firefox - The connection was refused when attempting to contact www.awebsite.com

...everything except for Internet Explorer (which occasionally works fine, albeit a little sluggish). Firefox did a forced update to 3.0.6 a few days ago and that stopped Firefox working, now it always says "The connection was refused when attempting to contact www..." I have completely removed it and reinstalled it with no luck.

About my system:
Packard Bell
Windows Vista Home Premium
AMD Athlon64 Processor 3800+
768 MB Ram
NVIDIA GeForce 6100 nForce405

I have performed a system restore, back to January and before these problems, but that didn't work. I have downloaded Avast! but that just served to disrupt the IE connection.

The weekend when the laptop stopped connecting properly, my ISP's (Tiscali) local exchange went down. I'm not sure if that would be anything to do with my problems because I don't have that kind of technical knowledge.

I honestly don't know what to do, it won't just sort itself out and I'm totally at my wit's end!

Any help with this matter would be so gratefully received.

Thanks very much for reading this, I look forward to your replies. If you need any more info from me, just ask. Smile

AP
SoftStag

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2009 1:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The first thing to try is rebooting the router. This is done by disconnecting the power for a minute and connecting it back up again. The wireless connectivity will probably take a couple of minutes to come back up.

What make and model of router do you use?
"Microsoft programs are generally bug-free. If you visit the Microsoft hotline, you'll literally have to wait weeks if not months until someone calls in with a bug in one of our programs. 99.99% of calls turn out to be user mistakes. I know not a single less irrelevant reason for an update than bugfixes. The reasons for updates are to present more new features."
-- Bill Gates, on code stability, from Focus Magazine
AP

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2009 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello, and thank you for your prompt reply.

I just tried disconnecting the router from the power but it's made no difference.

The router is a Belkin Wireless G Router F5D7632-4.

Right now I'm running Windows Defender, avast! and SuperAntiSpyware to find any malware/viruses/other nasties, but as I don't tend to download anything other than from official websites I'm not hopeful of finding the problem with this path.
SoftStag

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2009 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does this PC show that it is disconnecting from the wireless network like the laptop does?
"Microsoft programs are generally bug-free. If you visit the Microsoft hotline, you'll literally have to wait weeks if not months until someone calls in with a bug in one of our programs. 99.99% of calls turn out to be user mistakes. I know not a single less irrelevant reason for an update than bugfixes. The reasons for updates are to present more new features."
AP

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2009 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nope, the internet connection is strong and constant on the PC.
SoftStag

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2009 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Please try the following when pages are not loading in the browser:
Arrow Click on Start, then Run
Arrow Type in cmd and press Enter
Arrow You should now have a new window open (Command Prompt) - Type in to this window cd desktop and press Enter
Arrow Type in tracert bbc.co.uk > trace.txt.
When this comes back to the command prompt, you should have a file called trace.txt on your desktop. Copy and paste the contents in to your next post.
AP

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2009 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tracing route to bbc.co.uk [212.58.224.138]

over a maximum of 30 hops:

1 <1 ms <1 ms <1 ms . [192.168.2.1]

2 14 ms 19 ms 16 ms lo99.he-2-dsl.as9105.net [212.74.111.222]

3 15 ms 15 ms 15 ms g110.he-lon1.as9105.net [212.74.107.173]

4 15 ms 15 ms 16 ms xe-1-1-0-10.lon20.ip.tiscali.net [213.200.78.233]

5 55 ms 17 ms 16 ms ge-7-1.core2.London1.Level3.net [213.200.77.130]

6 80 ms 19 ms 17 ms ae-14-55.car3.London1.Level3.net [4.68.116.145]

7 17 ms 16 ms 17 ms 195.50.90.190

8 20 ms 19 ms 17 ms 212.58.238.129

9 16 ms 16 ms 17 ms virtual-vip.thdo.bbc.co.uk [212.58.224.138]

Trace complete.
SoftStag

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2009 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is showing that you have a solid connection to the internet at the time of doing it. If the browser was unable to connect then it is probably a firewall setting.

What software firewalls do you have installed? As a temporary measure, try turning off your firewall and see if you can browse. It is not recommended to keep the firewall off, however your router should offer ample protection for this test.
AP

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2009 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Turning off the Windows firewall does nothing for the connection, but I see in my control panel that I have two firewalls. One belongs to Norton Internet Security 2007, a program which I tried to delete, as it came with my PC and also just doesn't work, with no luck the other day. Could be a problem with that, I guess.

Any ideas how to cleanly remove it without a product key?
Steve

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2009 6:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You should be able to remove it via Add/Remove Programs. You need to remove any entries for Norton and Symantec.
Mr. Green
AP

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2009 8:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey there. I've tried that, but the uninstaller just hangs if I try to use it, then when I shut the uninstaller down, Windows tells me it has been successfully unistalled and removes it from the Add/Remove list... Until next time I turn the PC on and it's there again! Sneaky buggers!

Could I just delete the files from Program Files, or would that mess up my system?
AP

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2009 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alright, so I decided to delete all the Norton and Symantec files from my PC and IT WORKS! It turns out that their firewall (that I never asked for in the first place!) was blocking every program from connecting to the internet.

Thank you for taking the time to help me, you've been a great help.

Thanks again

AP
Reply to topic    Free PC Support Forum Home -> Helproom All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: