Free PC Support
PC Help Forums from the Experts at Technical-Assistance.co.uk

Google

Search The Web Search This Site
 RSS FeedRSS Feed   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

programs not opening

Reply to topic    Free PC Support Forum Home -> Helproom
clueless

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2011 10:04 pm    Post subject: programs not opening Reply with quote

hi guys, i'm getting pretty desperate now with this.

a few months ago (april/may time) i downloaded avg antivirus 2011 and not long after that (may/june time) it seemed to cause a problem with my laptop which meant that i could no longer access any of my programs.

for example, i select 'mozilla firefox' and get an 'Open with' dialogue box and recommended programs: Internet Explorer. this shouldn't be happening, i have firefox and it should just open as normal. when i select IE it tries to get me to download a file (presumably, they want me to think it's firefox?). the same happens with all icons on my desktop. even things like Microsoft Works, Toshiba Warranty Epson Scan, and AVG 2011, they ask me to use IE to locate them. a couple of them, Skype for example, come up with the message C:\Program Files (x86)\Skype\Phone\Skype.exe Application not found.

the only icon that works and has enabled me to keep accessing the internet is the bbc iplayer icon. but even that has deteriorated slightly in that in the past couple of weeks i now get a couple of error messages before it opens.

at one point even the control panel would come up with a dialogue box asking me to choose internet explorer to locate it. and system restore wasn't possible.

i haven't addressed this problem until now because i've been busy and have been able to access word documents and such like through going to the recycling bin and working my way through to my documents from there. however, my laptop crashed last week and restored itself to a previous date. i'm now able to use system restore and today restored it back to april but i still have the same problems in that i cannot open anything! not only that but now, none of my word documents, powerpoint documents etc. will open even if i go through the recycle bin as i've done before. basically, all that i'm now able to do is go on the internet.

and now that i'm back at uni and need to write essays and also download some CAD software (and actually be able to open and use it) it's pretty important that i find a solution.

any help would be much appreciated!

ps: windows 7 OS Toshiba Satellite A660-155
JonS

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2011 11:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

download and run these files, one after another
You may have to download them on another machine and transfer them. They are registry fixes to repair file associations
http://www.winhelponline.com/fileasso/bat_fix_w7.zip
http://www.winhelponline.com/fileasso/exe_fix_w7.zip
http://www.winhelponline.com/fileasso/lnk_fix_w7.zip

these are hosted at http://www.winhelponline.com/blog/file-asso-fixes-for-windows-7/
clueless

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2011 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks very much for that, i'll try it now!

sorry for the late response btw, been spending most of my time in the library getting work done what with the laptop trying to die on me!
JonS

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2011 7:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

did it work?
Reply to topic    Free PC Support Forum Home -> Helproom All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: