Free PC Support
PC Help Forums from the Experts at Technical-Assistance.co.uk

Google

Search The Web Search This Site
 RSS FeedRSS Feed   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Proramming plugin for WinBar

Reply to topic    Free PC Support Forum Home -> Helproom
sl23

PostPosted: Sun Feb 13, 2011 8:04 pm    Post subject: Proramming plugin for WinBar Reply with quote

I know this probably isn't the sort of thing you do here, but I wanred to have a go at programming a Quick Launch plugin for WinBar. I was hoping to make something that performs similar functions as Advanced Launcher. Specifically categories and folder browsing as well as app/file shortcuts.

I wanted to know if it's something a beginner can do, or is it exceptionally complicated. I admit I know nothing about programming at all, but this interested me and I wondered if making a plugin is simply making a standalone .dll file or will I need to alter the WinBar source as well? I think that's probably a bit out of my league if that's the case Sad

If you're not sure could you point me in the right direction? I've already tried contacting the dev and left a Question about this on the forum as well as searching the sourceforge site for info. I've already installed VisualStudio Express 2010, which I'm now in the process of uninstalling! I found out I need VS2008! which is no longer available from MS so I had to resort to P2P. I think I actually need the Pro version, I hope not or I'm stuffed Evil or Very Mad Unless the CRT source is available seperately, what exactly is it?

Trouble is I don't know if it's still in development or not but it's a useful app to have so would like to expand it even if just for personal use.

Thanks
JonS

PostPosted: Sun Feb 13, 2011 9:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

you've asked the question in the correct place: the developer forum, so sit back and see what happens there

Couple of points though
1) there have been virtually no posts on that site for months
2) its clear from what WAS the main website that development must have hit some kind of hiatus. The main project website has minimal information and redirects to the Sourceforge site

Overall I'm rather inclined to feel that this looks like a project on the back burner. My suggestion would be that you find another cause to spend your time on

As to how easy it is to do? No idea. I don't know the software and have no inclination to try! However if, as you say, you know nothing about programming at all, I strongly expect that a project like that is not the place to start
sl23

PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2011 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks JonS I figured as much. I had a thought actually that Rainmeter may be able to mimic these two apps so that's my next step!
JonS

PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2011 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well, my general advice would be to steer well clear of all such applications which "skin" windows
My experience is they slow the operating system, make in less stable - and put you at the risk of the next windows system update being totally incompatible and crashing the machine

theres no real need for them, so why bother?
Reply to topic    Free PC Support Forum Home -> Helproom All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: