Free PC Support
PC Help Forums from the Experts at Technical-Assistance.co.uk

Google

Search The Web Search This Site
 RSS FeedRSS Feed   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

"if you are seeing this page your browser ......"

Reply to topic    Free PC Support Forum Home -> Helproom
lynzdunk

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2010 11:00 am    Post subject: "if you are seeing this page your browser ......" Reply with quote

I am unable to log in to my yahoo/hotmail/ebay accounts or view facebook home pages and data on various other sites - I get the following message when I try: -

"if you are seeing this page your browser settings prevent you from automatically redirecting to a new URL"

This has just happened since I installed software received from my new ISP (windows updates were also automatically installed on the same day). The CD they gave me installed Mcfee Viruscan on my system. I was already using AVG software.

I have researched various solutions that other people have suggested on the internet for same error message and have tried unistalling AVG and Mcafee (no matter what I try I seem to be unable to get rid of all files named mcafee on my system) although when I go into 'uninstall' in control panel it does not show. I have tried re-installing AVG but this does not seem to work properly.

I have also tried system restore, reset IE8 settings, cleared internet temp files, tried in safe mode which were all other suggestions I found. When in 'safe mode with networking' the problem was still there when I went online. I also tried to remove the windows updates incase they were at fault.

I could not get system restore to go back far enough - dates to select were only last 2 days and this was done 3 days ago.

I cannot think what else I can do except try and re-install windows - would this solve the problem? I bought laptop with windows vista already installed from Tesco and did not received installation disk in box, can it be downloaded?

Any other suggestions I would be very grateful.
SoftStag

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2010 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi lynzdunk, welcome to the forums!

I haven't seen this error in a couple of years, so it was probably IE6. Enabling Meta Refresh used to resolve this. To do this try the following:
Arrow Open IE
Arrow Click on Tools then Internet Options
Arrow Click on the Security tab
Arrow Highlight Internet by clicking on it
Arrow Click on Custom Level
Arrow Set Allow META REFRESH to enable
Arrow Click OK, then OK again

Hopefully this will resolve it. If Allow META REFRESH was already enabled, try disabling it, then enabling it again.
"Microsoft programs are generally bug-free. If you visit the Microsoft hotline, you'll literally have to wait weeks if not months until someone calls in with a bug in one of our programs. 99.99% of calls turn out to be user mistakes. I know not a single less irrelevant reason for an update than bugfixes. The reasons for updates are to present more new features."
-- Bill Gates, on code stability, from Focus Magazine
Reply to topic    Free PC Support Forum Home -> Helproom All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: