Free PC Support
PC Help Forums from the Experts at Technical-Assistance.co.uk

Google

Search The Web Search This Site
 RSS FeedRSS Feed   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

"Insufficient resources" error
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Reply to topic    Free PC Support Forum Home -> Helproom
stufarq

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 8:51 pm    Post subject: "Insufficient resources" error Reply with quote

Hi

I've been having some very strange and annoying problems over the last few days. After I've been working on my PC for a while (and this never seems to happen if I leave it unattended) portions of the screen, particularly on Internet Explorer, become blanked out. (If anyone remembers Doctor Who from the 1970s when bits of actors would disappear due to dodgy CSO effects, it's a bit like that.) If I then shut down and reopen any affected programs or try to open new ones, I usually get the error message "Insufficient system resources exist to complete the requested service." If anything is downloading at the time, the download stops and I get the same message.

Because it usually happened when I was using IE, I eventually decided (reluctantly because I'd already tried it and hated it) upgrading from IE7 to IE8 but that hasn't helped.

I googled the problem and found that a number of people had run across it a few years ago but none of their suggestions or solutions seem to help. I have 149GB (out of 279) free on the HD and none of the internal or external cables seem to have come loose. malware sweeps all turn up clean and I've run chkdsk on all volumes.

I don't know if it's relevant or not but for the last few months I've been getting regular messages about the system needing to increase virtual memory. I'd assumed this was just down to the age of the machine but maybe it's connected.

I'm running a Dell Dimension 2400 with Windows XP SP3.

Can anyone help? (Please no replies telling me why I should switch to your favourite browser. IU'm sure that doesn't happen here but it does in other places.)
JonS

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 11:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You need to fit more RAM

Its a Dell. It was probably built on a budget and doesn't have enough

XP SP3 needs at least 1GB to run properly by the time you've added antivirus software - especially if its bloatware like Norton or McAfee
stufarq

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 11:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks. I did wonder if it might be that. Stopped using Norton a while back but might still look into going for 2GB rather than 1.

Considering I hadn't added any new programs etc, any idea why this might suddenly have started happening now?

And is it possible for me to go back to IE7 without losing bookmarks etc? I've read conflicting reports about that.

Nice to finally find someone else who doesn't rate Dells. Everyone keeps talking about how wonderful they are but mine's been a problem since the day I bought it and the ones at work are rubbish too.
JonS

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2012 8:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't take my words out of context
As a rule Dell machines are solid and reliable. Its just that on many WnXP machines they simply didn't put enough memory in, in an attempt to save cost. Don't equate lack of memory with overall poor quality. That would be wrong. As a rule, Dells go on forever, tehy don't break
Overall Dells are reliable work horses, but you wouldn't buy one to go gaming

Re Internet Explorer. No, don't go back to IE7, you'll become very vulnerable on the internet
stufarq

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2012 10:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JonS wrote:
Don't take my words out of context
As a rule Dell machines are solid and reliable. Its just that on many WnXP machines they simply didn't put enough memory in, in an attempt to save cost. Don't equate lack of memory with overall poor quality. That would be wrong. As a rule, Dells go on forever, tehy don't break
Overall Dells are reliable work horses, but you wouldn't buy one to go gaming

Really? Every Dell I've ever met was a pain in the backside and none of them was used for gaming. Maybe they were all down to lack of memory but that in itself is still a big failing. What's the point in making a computer that won't break if it can't do anything properly?

JonS wrote:
Re Internet Explorer. No, don't go back to IE7, you'll become very vulnerable on the internet

In that case is there a way I can at least get IE8 to remember cookies, passwords etc more reliably? Whenever I reboot it's forgotten everything, if I'm saving files it keeps forgetting the last location I saved in and it never remembers the last location I added a favourite (although I've at least found a workaround for the last one). I don't want to switch to a different browser, having tried several and found them all to be much worse than IE for all its faults. If I'm stuck with IE8 I'd at least like some of it to work the way I want it to.
JonS

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2012 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thats unlikely to be a problem with IE - even if you set it to delete temp internet files it's will still remember download locations and such like

You've almost certainly got a third party tune up utility running on that machine, maybe CCleaner, maybe something like the Unibue booster programs
But some internet security suites will do it as well
stufarq

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2012 9:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do use CCleaner but haven't run it since installing IE8 and it's set so it doesn't do anything automatically. I run Avast antivirus and Comodo firewall but I don't have them set to do any kind of cleanup. Other malware programs only get used on manual and haven't been run since installing IE8. This only started happening after the installation - didn't happen with IE7. Could it be a software conflict? Or perhaps an Avast or Comodo update that's doing more than I realised?

Things may have settled down today though. For the first time IE8 remembered my password for this site and for my email. Haven't done anything else yet but fingers crossed.
PcTestCard.co.uk

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 7:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Insufficient resources"
This seems easier to happen on the PC with onboard video.

Try restart the PC, get to the Bios, reseat the Bios default, in the XP, install the latest mobo chipset driver, must reboot once, then install the latest VGA driver again.

Check the CMOs battery as well.

Hope this helps.
Bill
Tech Manager, WPTinc.
stufarq

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2012 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JonS wrote:
thats unlikely to be a problem with IE - even if you set it to delete temp internet files it's will still remember download locations and such like

You've almost certainly got a third party tune up utility running on that machine, maybe CCleaner, maybe something like the Unibue booster programs
But some internet security suites will do it as well

A quick search reveals that it's a very common problem with IE8, which is apparently designed to use My Pictures as the default save location every time but can't even manage to do that properly and instead just selects a random previously used one. Lots of people having the same problem.

The insufficient resources problem seems to have gone away now. I will get around to installing more RAM eventually, when I've got the spare cash.

Bill: The problem occured during web browsing rather than video playback but thanks for the suggestion anyway.
JonS

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2012 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bill's right - machines with shared graphics memory are more likely to show this problem because the graphics pinch some of the system memory, making an already small quantity even smaller
stufarq

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2012 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh right, so some of the RAM's effectively unavailable? How do I find out if mine has shared memory? The system information shows 512MB RAM, which would seem to be the entire half GB. Does that mean it isn't shared or just that it doesn't show it there?
JonS

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2012 8:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

look up the spec of your machine and worb it out from that. Should be obvious - if it has a graphics card its not shared, if the graphics are on the motherboard it is shared. And no, it may not show up as being used as some graphics chips - especially intel ones - don't report the shared use

anyway its irrelevant: the machine has 512MB and either way, thats not enough for XP with antivirus software installed
Reply to topic    Free PC Support Forum Home -> Helproom All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: