Free PC Support
PC Help Forums from the Experts at Technical-Assistance.co.uk

Google

Search The Web Search This Site
 RSS FeedRSS Feed   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

"Save As" using Vista

Reply to topic    Free PC Support Forum Home -> Helproom
Tommie J Burns

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2010 6:20 pm    Post subject: "Save As" using Vista Reply with quote

I am using Vista and have a problem with my "Save As" item. When I try to save an item by using Save As I get the following: "Tommie Documents". This is not what I want, so I click the down arrow on the right end of the bar expecting to get a list of programs to which I can save my item. But, no!!!! I get the URL's from my contact list. No matter how I try to get the list of progrms that I want I cannot get past these URL's. I hope that someone can help.

Tommie
SoftStag

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2010 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Tommie, welcome to the forums!

I am a little confused here, are you refering to Save As in an application, or Open with when opening a file? I assume the former, in which case when you are saving you are putting the file in a location (usually somewhere on your hard drive) - it is defaulting here to Tommie Documents. You should be able to click on My Computer on the left hand side and browse to where you want to save the document. Once done, browsing to that location in Windows Explorer you can double click the file to open it in the default application.
"Microsoft programs are generally bug-free. If you visit the Microsoft hotline, you'll literally have to wait weeks if not months until someone calls in with a bug in one of our programs. 99.99% of calls turn out to be user mistakes. I know not a single less irrelevant reason for an update than bugfixes. The reasons for updates are to present more new features."
-- Bill Gates, on code stability, from Focus Magazine
Tommie J Burns

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2010 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Softstag:
Perhaps I was not clear in my discription of my problem. When I make a file eitherin Word or Excel and want to "save as" this is what happens.
I click the "save as" button, then get a screen which has the destination of "<<users > Tommie > Doocuments >" Since this is not where I wish to save my file, I click the down arrow in the window. I exxpect to get a list of my programs such as "Documents" or such. Not the case, I get the URLs from the sites that I have visited lately. There are at least 10 of these. I would like to be able to save my files in a folder on disk "A" for instance. I cannot get past the URLs however. I do save my files to "A" however by other means. It takes a lot longer and many more clicks.
Thank you for your prompt response to my first request.

Tommie
SoftStag

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2010 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tommie, are you able to post a screenshot so we can see what it looks like? I've never come across this issue before.
"Microsoft programs are generally bug-free. If you visit the Microsoft hotline, you'll literally have to wait weeks if not months until someone calls in with a bug in one of our programs. 99.99% of calls turn out to be user mistakes. I know not a single less irrelevant reason for an update than bugfixes. The reasons for updates are to present more new features."
-- Bill Gates, on code stability, from Focus Magazine
surreypcsupport.com

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2010 12:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Look carefully to the left and below the path text box where you clicked the down arrow. Can you see an option to 'browse folders'?
Reply to topic    Free PC Support Forum Home -> Helproom All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: