Free PC Support
PC Help Forums from the Experts at Technical-Assistance.co.uk

Google

Search The Web Search This Site
 RSS FeedRSS Feed   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

"USB Device Not Recognized:"

Reply to topic    Free PC Support Forum Home -> Helproom
imcoocoo

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2010 12:15 pm    Post subject: "USB Device Not Recognized:" Reply with quote

Dazed and
Confused
as to why i get the "USB device not recognized" starting just yesterday on this HP Compaq NC6000 featuring WinXPSP3 with all updates.
And The troubling device is the Western Digital MyBook Essential 1 terabyte external hard drive.
All of my other USB devices work just fine, including 4 different flash drives and a Logitech wireless keyboard and mouse, the M-Audio Micro and the M-Audio KeyStudio.
BTW, also updated to latest bios from the hp site...
Really starting to drive me coocoo...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
JonS

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2010 12:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1)- the drive may have failed. Have you tried it on another machine?

2) - have you installed any new USB devices? Sometimes you get weird incompatibilities with drivers

3) - try it with just the hard drive plugged in, no other USB devices

4) as (3), but try it in a different USB port

5) Use USBDeview (from http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/usb_devices_view.html) to remove registry entries for ALL USB devices, reboot the PC, then plug them all back in one by one and let plug n play find them all again

Just remember if the drive has failed, it may not actually be the drive itself - it could just be the USB circuitry in the caddy, in which case it may be possible to crack the caddy open and get at the drive inside
imcoocoo

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2010 1:59 pm    Post subject: Oh, some small developments happened, for the better… Reply with quote

I fixed it before i saw the post, but i'm archiving it for the record…
First, i carefully erased all of the local machine reg keys under USBStore in the CurrentControlSet folder.
Then, i deleted an "NTMSData" folder in the system32 folder of Windows.
Then, I shut down the laptop, and after doing so, unplugged it and took out the battery.
And waited, and waited…
Finally, later that day, i realized i had something i needed to look at a thing or two, so i plugged it back in and started it up.
I signed in and got the desktop to show up.
Then i plugged my devices back in like i always do…
Yahoo! XP sees the Western Digital MyBook Essential drive!
Major fwiw out of the way, anyone?
Btw, did i already say thanks for the post?
This from a blind man who knows that just the right advice is gonna get it done right the first and only time some of us ever get.
And BTW, also grabbed the USBDeView utility that you mentioned…It's going to a flash drive of mine…
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Reply to topic    Free PC Support Forum Home -> Helproom All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: