Free PC Support
PC Help Forums from the Experts at Technical-Assistance.co.uk

Google

Search The Web Search This Site
 RSS FeedRSS Feed   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Ran nusb320-eng-98FE -> Windows won't start
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Reply to topic    Free PC Support Forum Home -> Helproom
InNeedofHelp

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2008 6:12 am    Post subject: Ran nusb320-eng-98FE -> Windows won't start Reply with quote

Hello,

I came across the site while trying to enable Windows 98 FE to work with a USB flash drive. I installed the Windows 98 Service Pack and then ran nusb320-eng-98FE.exe as the instructions said. While running nusb320-eng-98FE I encountered an error and the program stopped running. Unfortunately, I don't remember the exact message of the error. I believe it had a problem with a .vxd file. After nusb320-eng-98FE stopped running I restarted the PC and now Windows will not start properly. At startup, the Windows 98 logo is displayed and then nothing else happens.

When I press "esc" I see "Bad command or file name" listed 9 times. I am able to then press ctrl+alt+del and start the PC in safe mode.

I'm not sure what to do to make the PC start up normally. I would really appreciate any help. Thanks.
SoftStag

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2008 8:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try the following:
Arrow Boot the computer in Safe Mode
Arrow Click on Start then Run
Arrow Type in msconfig and click OK
Arrow Click on Selective Startup
Arrow Remove the ticks from Process Autoexec.bat file and Process Config.sys file and click OK
Arrow Restart the computer and see if it works.
"Microsoft programs are generally bug-free. If you visit the Microsoft hotline, you'll literally have to wait weeks if not months until someone calls in with a bug in one of our programs. 99.99% of calls turn out to be user mistakes. I know not a single less irrelevant reason for an update than bugfixes. The reasons for updates are to present more new features."
-- Bill Gates, on code stability, from Focus Magazine
Myke

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2008 5:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have had exactly the same problem (Windows won't start following reboot after installing flash driver). It won't get past the Windows 98 logo screen.

I have tried SoftStag's suggestion in Safe Mode, but this didn't fix it.

Any other ideas??
Thanks
SoftStag

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2008 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Myke wrote:
I have had exactly the same problem (Windows won't start following reboot after installing flash driver). It won't get past the Windows 98 logo screen.

I have tried SoftStag's suggestion in Safe Mode, but this didn't fix it.

Any other ideas??
Thanks

Did it go in to Safe Mode, or would that not start up either?
"Microsoft programs are generally bug-free. If you visit the Microsoft hotline, you'll literally have to wait weeks if not months until someone calls in with a bug in one of our programs. 99.99% of calls turn out to be user mistakes. I know not a single less irrelevant reason for an update than bugfixes. The reasons for updates are to present more new features."
Myke

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2008 2:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, it starts up ok in Safe mode. I followed the instructions you provided (remove ticks from Process Autoexec.bat file and Process Config.sys file..) and restarted but this did not fix the problem.
SoftStag

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2008 11:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you get any errors on startup? What exactly happens?
Myke

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2008 9:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just keeps getting frozen on the Windows logo.
SoftStag

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2008 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When the Windows logo screen comes up, press the Escape key. This should take you back to a black screen. What are the last messages on the screen when it freezes?
Myke

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2008 1:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Driver list and irq
SoftStag

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2008 5:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does it say Starting Windows? If so what comes after that?
Myke

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2008 3:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi SoftStag, sorry for the delay in my response (and for the severe lack of detail in my previous replies). The computer has been disconnected and in another room for the past few days (since the original problem) but I have now set it up again and can give you better answers.

I have just switched it on today and it now seems to be getting past the Windows logo screen, but all that happens after that is a blank (black) screen with a flashing cursor in the top left corner. If I hit the Escape key at this point, nothing happens.

So I hit the reset button to reboot. (ScanDisk runs each time I do this). This time also it has asked me what mode I want to start in (normal / logged / safe mode etc). So I hit 1.Normal. Again the windows logo boot screen comes up, then about 30 secs later (I didn't count) it gets to the blank black screen with the cursor.

This time I hit ctrl-alt-del, go through the scandisk process, hit Normal (boot mode) again, then it goes to the windows logo screen, but this time 15 seconds later instead of going to the blank black screen, it is showing the startup menu screen (ie, the last screen that was up before the windows logo screen came up). But it's frozen, with the cursor right up in the top left of the screen!

Something's up. Anyway, I really appreciate all the help you're providing - and if there's any more advice you can give me I'd love to receive it!
Cheers.
SoftStag

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2008 4:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK. Unplug any unnecessary hardware from the computer, so you only have the monitor, keyboard and mouse attached. Does that make any difference?

If not then go back in to Safe Mode, and back in to msconfig, and Selevtiove Statup. Now put the ticks back in the boxes, and remove the tick from Load Startup Group Items. Does this make any difference?
Reply to topic    Free PC Support Forum Home -> Helproom All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: