Free PC Support
PC Help Forums from the Experts at Technical-Assistance.co.uk

Google

Search The Web Search This Site
 RSS FeedRSS Feed   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Random freezing, possible hardware failure?

Reply to topic    Free PC Support Forum Home -> Helproom
shankitup

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2011 1:49 am    Post subject: Random freezing, possible hardware failure? Reply with quote

This is a recent problem and i have not had issues with my laptop before a couple of days ago when this all started

My specs are
Toshiba satellite P300
OS Version: Microsoft® Windows Vista™ Home Premium , Service Pack 2, 32 bit
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU P8600 @ 2.40GHz
Graphics Card: ATI Mobility Radeon HD 3650, 512 Mb
RAM: 3035 Mb
Motherboard: TOSHIBA, Satellite P300

Basically my laptop will randomly freeze for about 5-10 seconds then continue as normal every 2 or 3 minutes. It freezes completely randomly whether im running programs or not. During the freezes i am still able to move the mouse but it just appears to be loading and once the freeze is over everything returns to normal.
There has also not been any slow down of the laptop in terms of performance before or after the freeze.

The laptops about 2 years old now and I would say i use my laptop alot for general use averaging around 8 hours a day. I only game around 8 hours over the course of a week. I monitor my laptop temperatures using speedfan and it is always between 40-60 during general use, however during gaming it can measure temperatures of around 70-90 but i always let it cool down if it goes around 80 for to long.

I have used Avg and malwarebytes which both reported nothing.
I have attempted several system restores at different dates but all are unable to complete and either freeze or hang not progressing further.
I run a disk and registry cleaner + defrag on a weekly basis, i also use ccleaner almost daily.
I have also run hcidesign memtest which reported nothing.
I am able to boot up in safe mode with networking without experiencing any freeze ups.

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated
JonS

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2011 9:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

1) I'd be worried about dust clogging the fan. can you get at that, and hte vents, and clean them out with compressed air?
2) the symptoms could be due to a failing hard drive. Donwload the correct diagnostic software for whatever brand of hard drive you have in it and run the checks
3) some viruses can do this
4) the mention of a "registry cleaner" rings the alarm bells. Which one?
SoftStag

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2011 10:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My laptop requires a blast of compressed air once in a while to blow out all the dust and prevent overheating. I don't think this is an overheating issue though.

A failing hard drive comes to mind first, sounds like it is struggling to read and the whole system waits for this. Do you see the hard drive light on when the system hangs like this?

There could be a whole host of software issues causing the problem. Check the Performance tab in Task Manager, see if the CPU Usage sticks at 100% during the hang, if so something is probably hogging the system, you could then try looking in the Processes tab and seeing which process is using all the resource.
"Microsoft programs are generally bug-free. If you visit the Microsoft hotline, you'll literally have to wait weeks if not months until someone calls in with a bug in one of our programs. 99.99% of calls turn out to be user mistakes. I know not a single less irrelevant reason for an update than bugfixes. The reasons for updates are to present more new features."
-- Bill Gates, on code stability, from Focus Magazine
shankitup

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2011 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ive attempted to get at the fan before however it proved rather difficult and im not to confident in disconecting hard drives and other such things so i let it be instead of causing myself more bother.

I ran the error checking option for my C: drive and it reported 4 bad files records processed, it then proceeded to fix them. It mentioned something about correcting minor file name errors while it was doing it.

I doubt i have a virus as im very safe about what i do online and what i download, i also keep my virus software up to date and run regular checks.

Ive been using auslogics boostspeed as my registry cleaner for a number of years and it never seems to give me trouble

The hard drive light is flashing during the freeze ups and ive checked my cpu usage and its never over 5% at any period before, after or during the freeze.
JonS

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2011 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

what make of drive is it? If you don't know, look in device manager and give us the model number. We can work out the correct diagnostic program from that
shankitup

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2011 11:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Under the device manager both my disk drives appear to be TOSHIBA MK3252GSX
JonS

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2011 2:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thats a pain
Toshiba are the one drive company who have not publicly released a diagnostic program

As for that Bootspeed program - I hate that kind of software with a passion. I find it usually causes more problems than it solves because it tries to fight with the OS. Microsoft don't provide the software hooks into Windows to companies like that, so the utilities can NEVER work as described
However - it may be of use now. It should have an inbuilt "disk doctor" routine for identifying bad sectors etc. Run it and see what you get
Reply to topic    Free PC Support Forum Home -> Helproom All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: