Free PC Support
PC Help Forums from the Experts at Technical-Assistance.co.uk

Google

Search The Web Search This Site
 RSS FeedRSS Feed   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Random reboots and BSODs
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Reply to topic    Free PC Support Forum Home -> Helproom
dcol8517

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2011 10:56 am    Post subject: Random reboots and BSODs Reply with quote

Hi,
This might be long. I'll start with computer specs. It's a self build:
Gigabyte GA h55m-s2v mobo
2x4gb G Skill ddr3 Ram running at 1333 (not OCed)
core i5 760 2.8ghz quad core processor (not OCed)
nVidia GTS450 1gb graphics card
600-650watt Cooler Master PSU
plus two optical drives and two HDDs
currently running Windows 7 64bit home premium

So this desktop was my first foray into computer building. I built it a bit under a year ago, and it has been unstable for most of it's life time. The occasional BSOD here and there. Mostly due to a slightly dodgy version of windows 7 ultimate (but more on that later).

So about a month ago I was having significant boot issues with the computer. It would randomly just shut down, no BSOD, just complete black like someone had pulled the power out. it wouldn't restart, but if you unplugged it for like an hour, and then tried it would work.
This was happening with increasing frequency to the point that it wouldn't even power up the case fans. Long story short, I replaced the PSU, to no avail, so then replaced the mobo and it booted first time.

I didn't do a clean install of windows with the new mobo (which I've read I should have) because it was the same brand, and same chipset as the previous mobo that had died.

The system worked, and booted fully, but I started experiencing random restarts and BSODs. They were particularly likely to occur at the very start of a youtube video. I update the HD audio driver and the graphics driver, but the issue still kept happening. All BSODs have 124 error code. I used the windows memory testing program, and it came up with an error so I thought my corsair RAM, less than a year old, was bad. I bought the G Skill RAM listed above, but still getting the BSOD's and shut downs.

A few days ago, I was trying to transfer something to an external hard drive, and the system BSODed, so I went to reboot, but it kept getting stuck at the black screen before the logon screen. I could see the cursor, and could move it, but even in safe mode it would not go past this screen. I tried system restore, startup repair, last known good configuration, everything, and it still wouldn't boot.

So I decided that it was about time I bought a legit copy of windows, and put it onto a fresh hard drive, and did a clean install. Then plugged the original hard drive in, and have been using it for file storage mainly.
For about the first few hours, the system was completely stable, so I started reinstalling drivers, and basic programs. My first random restart was when I opened the .exe file to install AVG 2012. Since then, I've been getting random BSODs and restarts all afternoon (even though I haven't actually installed AVG still). So here is my question.
I've read that error 124 is a hardware malfunction somewhere, but can sometimes actually be driver conflicts. A lot of the system instability when I first built the computer was a result of driver conflicts with the GPU. So question is:
Is this just a driver conflict, seeing as the instability started when I started to install drivers and programs again, OR is my new gigabyte motherboard bad?
I'm 99% sure it's not the RAM, because what are the odds of having 4 sticks of RAM, from two reputable brands die in the space of a week. It's not the PSU, because I replaced the original Antec 450 watt a month ago, when I thought that was the cause of the complete lack of booting. I'm pretty sure it's not the GPU, because I have a spare 256mb that I tried when the computer was caught in the boot loop, and clearly the GPU wasn't what was affecting the boot cycle. So I'm left with thinking it's either the CPU or the mobo. I put a Hot CPU Tester cycle on because I read that this would check for errors on both, and came back three hours later, and discovered the computer off, so somewhere along the line it failed. I have the last few dump files, but I don't know how to attach them to this, so if someone walks me through that I can attach them if that would be helpful.
Any help would be GREATLY appreciated. I've done a stack of reading, but I'm a bit stumped. Plus, the only place near me that I can get a 1156 socket mobo, is the place I bought the new one from, and I don't really like dealing with them if I don't have to. My wife is getting a bit frustrated with me having to fix the computer all the time, and I would love to not have to waste more hours on it. Thanks in advance!
Dave
JonS

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2011 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

you talk of "error 124"

Is this appearing as a STOP! error?
There should be much more detail in the error message. can we have it all please?
dcol8517

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2011 12:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JonS wrote:
you talk of "error 124"

Is this appearing as a STOP! error?
There should be much more detail in the error message. can we have it all please?

Sorry I should have posted that. I'm at work at the moment, but will post the exact code when I get home. What I meant was that the BSOD error code was 0x124. I've read that this code basically means general hardware error of some description..
dcol8517

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2011 6:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So here is the info related to the latest BSOD

Problem signature:
Problem Event Name: BlueScreen
OS Version: 6.1.7601.2.1.0.768.3
Locale ID: 3081

Additional information about the problem:
BCCode: 124
BCP1: 0000000000000000
BCP2: FFFFFA800923A028
BCP3: 00000000F2000000
BCP4: 000000000020008F
OS Version: 6_1_7601
Service Pack: 1_0
Product: 768_1
JonS

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2011 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

you're missing the key part

STOP errors usually are of the style

STOP 0x000000000123
blah blah blah blah...

where the blah blah bit is a descriptive
what does that say?
dcol8517

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2011 11:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been trying to replicate a BSOD so I can copy down the details, but all I'm getting are random reboots. I have the dump files on my computer don't know how to read them. What program is best to open them?
dcol8517

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2011 11:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

is this the stop error info you need?

0x124 (0x0, 0xFFFFFA800923A028, 0xF2000000, 0x20008F)

That's the bugcheck code from the last 5 BSODs I've had.
JonS

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2011 11:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

forget the dump files
waste of time - they'll tell you nothing useful

You MAY find something helpful in Windows management
Right click "my computer" (or computer), select "manage", go to system tools >event viewer>windows logs
Look under "application" and "system" for any errors

Post back with the details fo anything you find there
dcol8517

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2011 1:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alright, so there quite a few errors in both applications and system.
This one appears a lot of times in system
'The 7ByteIo service failed to start due to the following error:
The system cannot find the file specified.'
This one also appeared a few times
'The driver detected a controller error on \Device\Harddisk1\DR1.'
This one only twice
'The platform firmware has corrupted memory across the previous system power transition. Please check for updated firmware for your system.'
Then just a few bugchecks and notices that the system restarted

This error in the applications was right after the restart from my last random reboot
'Event filter with query "SELECT * FROM __InstanceModificationEvent WITHIN 60 WHERE TargetInstance ISA "Win32_Processor" AND TargetInstance.LoadPercentage > 99" could not be reactivated in namespace "//./root/CIMV2" because of error 0x80041003. Events cannot be delivered through this filter until the problem is corrected.'
JonS

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2011 8:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 7ByteIO error comes from a program called Hot CPU Tester
Ist another of these third party performance tools that can mess machines up. Uninstall it. You may need to use CCleaner afterwards to clear out any remaining junk in the registry. If the error still persists then the servive wil have to be disabled, either in MSCONFIG r is "services" in Windows Management

For "The driver detected a controller error on \Device\Harddisk1\DR1" check in Windows Management (again) and look at Storage>Disk Management
Disk DR1 should be the second one listed (named Disk 1)
Which disk is it?
dcol8517

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2011 5:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Channel 0 is my new 500gb Seagate. Channel 1 is my 1tb Western digital that my previous OS was on. the Seagate is now the primary boot disk, and the WD has all of the files from the last year sitting on it, but is only used as document storage basically
JonS

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2011 8:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

when you talk of "channels" - is that referring to how you've physically wired them up? Or how windows reports them?
Its the latter we need - the former is irrelevant
There is an error - either which the drive, the controller,or the cable, on whichever drive WINDOWS reports as drive 1
Reply to topic    Free PC Support Forum Home -> Helproom All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: