Free PC Support
PC Help Forums from the Experts at Technical-Assistance.co.uk

Google

Search The Web Search This Site
 RSS FeedRSS Feed   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Recording You-Tube Videos
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Reply to topic    Free PC Support Forum Home -> Helproom
sl23

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2008 12:16 pm    Post subject: Recording You-Tube Videos Reply with quote

I'm trying to find a way to record the music from old rave music videos on You-Tube.

I have tried saving the page as different docs but only saves the page not the video, despite when made available offline you can still play the video?!

I have tried using Audacity, Virtual Audio Cable ( to re-route the audio to Audacity ) but can't get it to work.

I have Vista home premium, is this causing a problem with the software as it's XP software?

I understand there's copyright involved, but these tracks are no longer available as a purchase, if they were I'd buy them. The vast majority are now deleted and just plain impossible to get hold of. You-Tube is the first place I've found with so many of my old lost and forgotten tunes, but I'd like to have them on my MP3 player, is it possible?

Thanks
SoftStag

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2008 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Check out this earlier thread on downloading Youtube videos. This will allow you to get the video files in FLV format. If you want to extract the audio from them, go to http://moitah.net/ and download the FLV Extract application, this can split the audio and video to give you the MP3 file of the soundtrack.
"Microsoft programs are generally bug-free. If you visit the Microsoft hotline, you'll literally have to wait weeks if not months until someone calls in with a bug in one of our programs. 99.99% of calls turn out to be user mistakes. I know not a single less irrelevant reason for an update than bugfixes. The reasons for updates are to present more new features."
-- Bill Gates, on code stability, from Focus Magazine
sl23

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2008 1:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I checked out that thread -

Quote:
I've used Video Downloader 2.0. It is an extension for Firefox, so you will need to use Firefox as your browser. Personally, I prefer Firefox to IE, and this extension makes it easy to do what you want.

I also went to download Firefox, it says it recommends XP, I have Vista is that a problem?
SoftStag

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2008 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, I use Vista with Firefox. Works a treat.
"Microsoft programs are generally bug-free. If you visit the Microsoft hotline, you'll literally have to wait weeks if not months until someone calls in with a bug in one of our programs. 99.99% of calls turn out to be user mistakes. I know not a single less irrelevant reason for an update than bugfixes. The reasons for updates are to present more new features."
sl23

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2008 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK...

Problem!

I downloaded Firefox 3, and the videodownloader but version 1.1.1 where's v2? the version i downloaded isn't compatible with Ffx3!

Any idea?

Also downloaded "fast_video_download-1.6.1-fx.xpi" saved file but can't use it as .xpi files not recognised??? I thought it was a firefox addon?
SoftStag

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2008 6:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You are right, they haven't brought out a version for Firefox 3! It just shows how long it is since I used this extension :S

There is another Firefox extension that will do the job, not had chance to try it yet, but it looks good. It also has some conversion facility so you may be able to get the MP3 directly. The add on is called Download Helper.
sl23

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2008 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK.. I downloaded Download Helper, installed ok, found out conversion costs 18.50!!!

It downloads to .avi file format, only problem is that the downloaded file size is 0bytes Confused despite the downloading process telling me the file is 3.4Mb Confused

What's going on? Is this one of those programs that gets you to use it only to find out you need to buy it before you can use it properly?!

Is nothing simple?

There must be some way of downloading a file and converting it to MP3 without paying for it, maybe I shouldn't expect software to be free, but then there's pretty much a free version of every kind of software program that you can buy.

Does it have to be an add-on for an internet browser or can it be a stand alone program?

Please help it's driving me mad Evil or Very Mad I've finally found many of my old 12"s but can't listen to them cos i'm lmtd to 3Gb download per month!
SoftStag

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2008 6:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you remove the tick in preferences for conversion, then it will download the files in the original format - FLV. They do download, but you have to be patient and wait for them to come down. They show 0 bytes in explorer until they are downloaded.

Once you have the FLV downloaded, you can use the program I mentioned earlier to extract the MP3 soundtrack.
sl23

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2008 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can I just amend....
Quote:
They show 0 bytes in explorer until they are downloaded.

I did actually mean to say - the file size is 0bytes AFTER downloading the file, despite the downloading process saying the file is 3.4Gb.

Wink
SoftStag

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2008 4:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I tried it, it said 0 bytes until Firefox reported that it had finished downloading, then gave the correct file size and I was able to open the video in Windows Media Player.
sl23

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2008 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh... Right... Embarassed That explains alot!

Thanks.

I am currently in the process of downloading, using a '3 USB Modem stick' and it's taking forever. Is this due to the modem or the download helper? Should I open a new post as I have a few Q's about this thing?

Wink

Oh, one more thing, does it matter when I start to download? What I mean is do I need to wait til the You Tube video has finished downloading before I start the download helper? Ihad to cancel this download attempt as it failed. I tried again and it worked. was this due to switching tabs during the first attempt?

Actually, I thought of just one more Q! You Tube downloads the file to my laptop, I can then make it available offline, so long as I don't close the window or turn off my laptop I can disconnect from internet and play the video over and over. Now, what I want to know is if this video is on my laptop, possibly as a Temp file? can I save this temp file and extract later at my convenience? I ask cos at this rate it'd be easier to do that and record the video's I want onto an external recorder.

Thanks, I finally downloaded a video and used FLV Extract to get the MP3, worked a treat. Just need to sort my snail-paced broadband out, is that something you can help with?
SoftStag

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2008 4:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The speed at which it downloads is probably either to do with your internet connection, or the site from which you are downloading. I don't think the software is a problem.

You can start the download when you like, it doesn't need to be buffered to your PC. Switching tabs I don't thinks makes any difference. I'm pretty sure I did this when I tried.

The Youtube videos are buffered to your PC, but it is not straight forward to take that and use as a video file.

If you don't like this plugin for downloading Youtube videos, there are a few others available.

With regard to your slow internet connection, please post the details in a separate thread and we'll see what we can do.
Reply to topic    Free PC Support Forum Home -> Helproom All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: