Free PC Support
PC Help Forums from the Experts at Technical-Assistance.co.uk

Google

Search The Web Search This Site
 RSS FeedRSS Feed   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Registry settings and CD burning software
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Reply to topic    Free PC Support Forum Home -> Helproom
Hanoola

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2009 11:01 am    Post subject: Registry settings and CD burning software Reply with quote

Hello,

I'm trying to burn a CD of music I have on iTunes and each time I click on the iTunes icon it tells me:

Warning!

The registry settings used by iTunes drivers for importing and burning CDs and DVDs are missing. This can happen as a result ofinstalling other CD burning software. Please reinstall iTunes.

I have repaired and reinstalled iTunes and it is still displaying the same message. I'm also not able to burn any CDs from my iTunes library.

Do any of you have any suggestions as to how I can fix this problem?
SoftStag

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2009 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Hanoola, welcome to the forums!

First try the fix I suggested in this post, if this does not work, try installing the Gear drivers from here, they are the drivers used by iTunes.

Please let us know how you get on.
"Microsoft programs are generally bug-free. If you visit the Microsoft hotline, you'll literally have to wait weeks if not months until someone calls in with a bug in one of our programs. 99.99% of calls turn out to be user mistakes. I know not a single less irrelevant reason for an update than bugfixes. The reasons for updates are to present more new features."
-- Bill Gates, on code stability, from Focus Magazine
Hanoola

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2009 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi SoftStag,

Thanks for your advice. Sorry for the delayed response - I had a baby two days after posting so have had my hands full since!

The new drivers worked for a while however my pc doesn't recognise any disks now. I've checked my settings and as far as I can tell they're correct e.g. automatically run cd when inserted etc...

Do you have any ideas on this one? I have reinstalled the drivers you mention above but these seem ok.

Thanks, Hannah
SoftStag

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2009 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congratulations on the baby! Smile

Are you saying the PC doesn't recognise any disks (like audio CDs, etc) or just blank disks?
"Microsoft programs are generally bug-free. If you visit the Microsoft hotline, you'll literally have to wait weeks if not months until someone calls in with a bug in one of our programs. 99.99% of calls turn out to be user mistakes. I know not a single less irrelevant reason for an update than bugfixes. The reasons for updates are to present more new features."
Hanoola

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2009 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi!

It takes a CD then the CD starts spinning and soon stops and that's it. It doesn't play any CDs/DVDs even blank ones. When I go into My Computer it doesn't even show the drive...
SoftStag

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2009 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can you check Device Manager, and see if there is a DVD/CD-ROM drives section. If so, what is in it, and do any of them have a yellow circle with an exclamation mark next to them?
Hanoola

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2009 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only thing I can see is under Disk Drives - Samsung HM160JI. I can't see a CD/DVD drives section.
SoftStag

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2009 7:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, it sounds like the drive itself may have a problem as Windows is simply not recognising that it is there. Are there any devices showing with an exclamation mark, or red cross in Device Manager?

If your computer is configured to boot from CD (most are) and you have a bootable CD (such as the Windows CD), you could try booting the computer with that CD in the drive to see if it boots from that.
Hanoola

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2009 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Under Network Adaptors there are about 30 x 6TO4 Adaptors that have exclamation marks next to them, also 5 x isatap.{9E37E8DF-8B3A-4CF9-BBC6-45A50C6ABF4B} with exclamation marks. I've checked everything else and there aren't any more.

I don't have a CD to boot from as my PC didn't come with one although I've had a look and I can do this within the Help menu using the back-up recovery manager. Should I go down this route?
SoftStag

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2009 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, that's fine.

Can you see if your CD Drive will read any disks in Safe Mode?
Hanoola

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2009 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,
OK, I tried that but it didn't make any difference...
SoftStag

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2009 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, that's bad news then. I'd say the drive itself is faulty and needs to be replaced. It's fairly easy to do if you are prepared to go inside the PC. Basically remove it and replace it with a new one, plugging the new one in the same way as the old one was.
Reply to topic    Free PC Support Forum Home -> Helproom All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: