Free PC Support
PC Help Forums from the Experts at Technical-Assistance.co.uk

Google

Search The Web Search This Site
 RSS FeedRSS Feed   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Reported Resource Conflict

Reply to topic    Free PC Support Forum Home -> Helproom
cajun_1955

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2007 8:36 pm    Post subject: Reported Resource Conflict Reply with quote

I've got an eMachine running Windows XP Home Edition. I've added no new software or hardware recently. For a few weeks now, when I boot up, I get the following message:

"Resource Conflict -- PCI Serial Bus Controller in slot 01
Bus:02, Device:09, Function: 00"

Everything seems to be running nicely, except that my Firewire card which I installed a few months ago no longer may be working. When I connect everything and turn on my camcorder, Windows Movie Maker doesn't recognize my camcorder and come up automatically.

Also, for a day or two, the error message stopped showing up. The PC would boot up normally; then, the message began appearing again.

I've checked, as best I know how, for device problems and Windows reports none, no conflicts either.

Does anyone have suggestions or definite ideas about what's going on and how I should proceed to recitify the problem?

Thanks in Advance
SoftStag

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2007 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It sounds like the BIOS is allocating the resources and causing the conflict. The BIOS should be set to allow the OS (Windows) to allocate resources itself. In order to do this, you will need to enter the BIOS Setup Utility. When you turn the PC on, before you get the error, it should say something like:
Press <Del> to Enter Setup
You should press the key it says at this time, and you will be presented with a menu. Using the cursor keys, find the option for Plug and Play Setup, or similar, and press Enter. You should then be presented with a screen similar to this:

Set the option for Plug and Play Aware O/S to Yes, also ensure all IRQ Priorities are set to Auto. Once done, press Esc to return to the main menu, then Save Settings and Exit.

The computer should now reboot and hopefully the problem will be solved.

Please note different computers have slightly different BIOS screens, so you may get slightly different options to those shown.
"Microsoft programs are generally bug-free. If you visit the Microsoft hotline, you'll literally have to wait weeks if not months until someone calls in with a bug in one of our programs. 99.99% of calls turn out to be user mistakes. I know not a single less irrelevant reason for an update than bugfixes. The reasons for updates are to present more new features."
-- Bill Gates, on code stability, from Focus Magazine
cajun_1955

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2007 8:58 pm    Post subject: Thank You Reply with quote

Everything you said makes perfect sense. I wondered why, when I was presented with the error messag, I was also given the option of either pressing F1 to continue to boot or to enter the system Bios. I went to the Bios; but I didn't see anything that stuck out. However, now that you've provided some excellent sounding advice, I'm going to go there and put it to the test. I expect good results. Thanks again, my friend.
Reply to topic    Free PC Support Forum Home -> Helproom All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: