Free PC Support
PC Help Forums from the Experts at Technical-Assistance.co.uk

Google

Search The Web Search This Site
 RSS FeedRSS Feed   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Restore PC - GONE WRONG!!!
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Reply to topic    Free PC Support Forum Home -> Helproom
sl23

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2009 2:35 pm    Post subject: Restore PC - GONE WRONG!!! Reply with quote

I attemted to restore an eMachines 2230 Desktop PC using the original, unscratched, Restore DVD. It says on the disc it restores back to factory settings which I wanted to do. During the process it stated that the recovery was corrupted... aaarrrggh!!!!

What it didn't tell me beforehand was that I'd lose the original setup. So now i'm left with a PC with no operating system! Bare in mind this isn't my PC its my 15 year old sister in laws Embarassed

So in a desperate attempt to get it working, and yes I know it's wrong but it was an emergency, I downloaded a copy of windows XP Pro as an ISO file. This installed without a hitch, until, that is it Registers Components then the following fail:

In here - C:\WINDOWS\system\
regsvr32.exe, cmd.exe, nhelper.exe, rundll32.exe, grpconv.exe, RUNDLL.exe, regsvr32.exe, msiexec.exe,

In here - C:\WINDOWS\system32\wbem\
mofcomp.exe

And this - C:\WINDOWS\System32\nlite.cmd

They all give a message saying:
Windows cannot access the specified device, path or file. You may not have the appropriate permissions to access them.

After rebooting XP loads with minimal graphics settings and no .exe's can be started, what can I do to fix this?

Chances are you cannot help as this is an illegal copy, if that is the case can I use the original restore DVD at all to bring it back to factory condition? When I reboot with the DVD it gives 2 options:

1, Reinstall XP - this doesn't work due to a now formatted drive.
2, Boot to command prompt from cdrom.

Would you need a list of files from the disc?

I tried the original manufacturers site via email but nothing has turned up yet in 2 weeks nearly.

Please help I just want to get XP back on this PC. Would purchasing a legal copy be best and would that work?

Thanks

Scott
SoftStag

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2009 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SL23, what have you done? Surprised

OK, I'm not familiar with how eMachines do their restores, however a lot of these restore disks actually access a hidden partition on the hard drive and I would suspect this is corrupt/missing, and that the disk you have is perfectly fine. One major gripe I have with OEMs is the fact that they rarely give you a Windows installation CD, they only have to give you the means to reinstall Windows, which could be just the install files on the hard drive.

I'm no expert in the legalities of what you are trying to do, however if you have a licence for Windows (sticker on the PC with the licence code) then you should be within your rights to download a copy of the installation CD and install XP on your system using the product key on the sticker. Like I say, this is my opinion which could be wrong!

It sounds from the errors you are getting that you have downloaded a CD that is not an exact copy of an original disk. Try to get hold of an OEM disk of the same version of Windows as is stated on the product key sticker (sometimes needs to come with the same service pack also). Download, borrow from a friend, buy from eBay, or by whatever means. Do a clean install of Windows, enter the product key (may need to contact MS to activate, but shouldn't be an issue), and all should be fine.

Good luck Laughing
"Microsoft programs are generally bug-free. If you visit the Microsoft hotline, you'll literally have to wait weeks if not months until someone calls in with a bug in one of our programs. 99.99% of calls turn out to be user mistakes. I know not a single less irrelevant reason for an update than bugfixes. The reasons for updates are to present more new features."
-- Bill Gates, on code stability, from Focus Magazine
sl23

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2009 8:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
SL23, what have you done? Surprised

I know, tell me about it!!! What is it they say about best intentions?!

It does appear that the Recovery partition was corrupt, but shouldn't the DVD contain the contents of the recovery partition? On 2 previous PC's the rec-disc was identical to the rec-part so I assume it to be the same with this yes? I mean it is a DVD but I don't know what im looking for, such as the windows setup file(s). Either way surely it must be possible to restore using the DVD via command line?

I believe the CD/DVD ROM drive was D: but in cmd line i can't mount another drive unless im doing it wrong im no expert at cmd line to say the least Wink

I never realised that if I have a legal product key it entitles to legally using someone elses version! Tho you say you're unsure is there any way of checking this with Microsoft? I will check it out while waiting for you reply.

Yes you are correct btw, the installation i downloaded is a version of XP Pro that has had all unnecessary components removed, there is a complete list. Also it has added some software and themes etc from third parties. There were alot of comments which varied from doesn't work to no probs to having a virus yet not having virus??

Just out of curiosity, how does the rec-part get corrupted? Can a virus/malware spread to it some how? Or is it disc damage?

I just like to say that I'm really greatful for all your help now and in the past. You're an invaluable resource of information and help and I hope you get paid alot for what you do Wink

Thanks

Scott

EDIT: have you any idea about the reason for lack of permission for access the above mentioned files?

EDIT2: at first glance it appears to be illegal unless you get an XP disc with a multi user license. But that seems to be if I use their license. Can you use any license code on any copy of XP? Is that why you advised getting same version ie Home Edition? It seems to be legal if you have you're own product key though, this is what costs the most and is what you pay for yes?
SoftStag

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2009 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sl23 wrote:
It does appear that the Recovery partition was corrupt, but shouldn't the DVD contain the contents of the recovery partition? On 2 previous PC's the rec-disc was identical to the rec-part so I assume it to be the same with this yes? I mean it is a DVD but I don't know what im looking for, such as the windows setup file(s). Either way surely it must be possible to restore using the DVD via command line?

Well, it really depends how it works. It's a DVD so you would hope it would all fit on there, however sometimes they just contain a program that effectively unlocks the recovery partition on the hard drive. Usually these kinds of recovery are an image that replaces the current partition, it not necessarily as simple as having the installation files directly there. As for doing a restore via the command prompt - maybe, but this is vendor specific, you really need eMachines to tell you how to do that. As I said previously, I don't have experience of these systems.

sl23 wrote:
I believe the CD/DVD ROM drive was D: but in cmd line i can't mount another drive unless im doing it wrong im no expert at cmd line to say the least Wink

No, by default even though you boot from a CD/DVD you don't necessarily have access to is as you need drivers to make it work! You could download a Windows 98 boot disk (floppy) that should give you basic DOS support for the drive.

sl23 wrote:
I never realised that if I have a legal product key it entitles to legally using someone elses version! Tho you say you're unsure is there any way of checking this with Microsoft? I will check it out while waiting for you reply.

Well, it's the licence that you are really paying for, the permission to use the software. Grey area I think, you could ask MS directly, but morally I don't think it's unethical to install licensed software when you don't have the installation medium.

sl23 wrote:
Yes you are correct btw, the installation i downloaded is a version of XP Pro that has had all unnecessary components removed, there is a complete list. Also it has added some software and themes etc from third parties. There were alot of comments which varied from doesn't work to no probs to having a virus yet not having virus??

Better to get hold of a virgin copy that has not been tampered with, at least then you know it's all there and nothing nasty has been added.

sl23 wrote:
Just out of curiosity, how does the rec-part get corrupted? Can a virus/malware spread to it some how? Or is it disc damage?

Well, this could be several things. It could have been corrupt in the first place (have you ever used it?). Hard drives are physical things, they rely on small magnetic fields charging tiny portions of the disk surface to store data, and the data is probably in compressed format - 1 bit of information out of place and the error checking will fail the whole thing. Virus/malware is possible, but I think unlikely.

sl23 wrote:
I just like to say that I'm really greatful for all your help now and in the past. You're an invaluable resource of information and help and I hope you get paid alot for what you do Wink

Thanks! Embarassed You are welcome, and no, I do this for nothing. I get paid diddly squat for my advice on this forum, I just do it out of the goodness of my heart. (Is someone playing a violin? lol)

sl23 wrote:
EDIT: have you any idea about the reason for lack of permission for access the above mentioned files?

Nope, not really, I think you need to go back and find another download!

sl23 wrote:
EDIT2: at first glance it appears to be illegal unless you get an XP disc with a multi user license. But that seems to be if I use their license. Can you use any license code on any copy of XP? Is that why you advised getting same version ie Home Edition? It seems to be legal if you have you're own product key though, this is what costs the most and is what you pay for yes?

No, you can't use any licence key on any version, the installations are version specific, as are the keys. If they don't match you can end up installing it and finding your key is not accepted. (Been there, done that)
"Microsoft programs are generally bug-free. If you visit the Microsoft hotline, you'll literally have to wait weeks if not months until someone calls in with a bug in one of our programs. 99.99% of calls turn out to be user mistakes. I know not a single less irrelevant reason for an update than bugfixes. The reasons for updates are to present more new features."
sl23

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2009 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whoa! thanks for the detailed reply Very Happy

Quote:
No, you can't use any licence key on any version, the installations are version specific, as are the keys. If they don't match you can end up installing it and finding your key is not accepted. (Been there, done that)

Can you clarify a little please as bit confused, eg can I use my license key on another copy of windows xp home edition which is what is currently installed, or rather, was installed. Just I thought that's what you meant in first reply.

As its not my PC I am unsure if the recovery was used but knowing the people that own it, it is doubtful.

Quote:
Thanks! Embarassed You are welcome, and no, I do this for nothing. I get paid diddly squat for my advice on this forum, I just do it out of the goodness of my heart. (Is someone playing a violin? lol)

Altogether now.....

AAAAAAhhhhhhh....

I feel guilty now Crying or Very sad .... But I'd still like your help, if that's ok Confused

Thanks

Scott
SoftStag

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2009 6:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sl23 wrote:
Quote:

Can you clarify a little please as bit confused, eg can I use my license key on another copy of windows xp home edition which is what is currently installed, or rather, was installed. Just I thought that's what you meant in first reply.

OK, your licence is XP Home OEM, if you install XP Pro Volume Licence the key will be rejected as invalid. You need to match the installation CD with the licence key you have. I've known this to be specific to Service Pack also, so if you have the original version of XP Home licence (no service pack), installing XP Home with SP2 (SP2 built in to the install) then the key may not work. So, you need to try and get an XP Home OEM install (preferably with the same service pack as was originally on the PC).

sl23 wrote:
I feel guilty now Crying or Very sad .... But I'd still like your help, if that's ok Confused

So long as you feel guilty, I don't mind helping Wink
sl23

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2009 10:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So if I had XP Home SP1 I need to get a copy of that, If XP Home SP2 then I need a copy of that, is that right? I was confused as I thought you may have meant if I have XP Home but used someone elses disc that's identical to mine you'd still need their key as mine wouldn't work, does that make sense?

Anyway I've dl another version, XP SP2. Trouble again during install (still in process as I type). Many .dll's and few other files .sys .exe unable to load. Around 25-30 altogether, is it worth listing them?

Thanks for the help

Scott
sl23

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2009 12:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Right, I'm finally getting somewhere. I've installed XP Home SP2 (unsure of original SP#) I have managed to also install several drivers from setup files on the original DVD. Though as stated above several .dll/.exe/.sys files wouldn't install so i'm expecting problems at some point. To start with, when I installed the drivers for Realtek Audio + Modem I had a message appear saying the same .dll cannot be found - streamci - so what does that mean?

Also I have a 3 USB modem stick which has installed fine but refuses to connect despite having 3/10 bar signal. I have found the following in a USB Driver folder on the original DVD but isn't a setup file so I'm clueless what to do with it Embarassed The 4 files are:

1. hccoin.dll

2. usb2x. Extension unknown.
Opens with Crypto Shell Extension.
Icon - 3pages with a yellow band around them.
Hovertip - Type: Security Catalog.

3. usb2x. Extension unknown.
Opens with Notepad.
Icon - bound page with cog.
Hovertip - Setup Information.

4. usbehci. Extension unknown.
Opens with Unknown Application.
Icon - Typical icon for unknown file types.
Hovertip - Description: EHCI eUSB Miniport Driver. Company: Microsoft Co. File Version: 5.1.2600.41.

I have used the key on the back of the machine to activate windows, then I realised maybe I should've used the one included in the download? Now I'm asked to Register within 30 days Sad But I can't get online to do it Confused

There is a crack for sorting this but it didn't appear to work. If I go online to register is that legal? Seeing as I've used the original Product Key it should be, right?

Thanks softie

Scott

EDIT: I appear to have installed the USB drivers by going into Device Mngr and updating drivers on all USB controllers.

But I have found that while there the Network Adapters has an entry with a yellow '!' and says unknown device. How do I go about sorting that out?

On XP install the following were unable to be found?/loaded? :-

rio8drv.sys C:\ Windows\ System32\ drivers\ S3 USB Driver
riodrv.sys C:\ Windows\ System32\ drivers\ S3 USB Driver
tosdvd.sys C:\ Windows\ System32\ drivers\ DVD Stream Minidriver
tsbvcap.sys C:\ Windows\ System32\ drivers\ Video Capture Driver
usbcamd.sys C:\ Windows\ System32\ drivers\ MS USB Cam Drvr
usbcamd2.sys C:\ Windows\ System32\ drivers\ MS USB Cam Drvr
vdmindvd.sys C:\ Windows\ System32\ drivers\ RAVISENT Tech.Inc

spnike.dll C:\ Windows\ System32\ Media Dev Mngr 4 Nike device
sprio600.dll C:\ Windows\ System32\ non-default OS .dll
sprio800.dll C:\ Windows\ System32\ Media Dev Mngr 4 Rio800 device
streamci.dll C:\ Windows\ System32\
tsbyuv.dll C:\ Windows\ System32\ MS/Toshiba Video Codec
wowfax.dll C:\ Windows\ System32\ Win3.1 Fax/Prntr Driver
wowfaxui.dll C:\ Windows\ System32\ Win3.1 Fax/Prntr UI Driver
usrcntra.dll C:\ Windows\ System32\ USRobotics Modem
usrcoina.dll C:\ Windows\ System32\ USRobotics Modem
usrdpa.dll C:\ Windows\ System32\ USRobotics Modem
usrdtea.dll C:\ Windows\ System32\ USRobotics Modem
usrfaxa.dll C:\ Windows\ System32\ USRobotics Modem
usrlbva.dll C:\ Windows\ System32\ USRobotics Modem
usrrtosa.dll C:\ Windows\ System32\ USRobotics Modem
usrsdpia.dll C:\ Windows\ System32\ USRobotics Modem
usrsvpia.dll C:\ Windows\ System32\ USRobotics Modem
usrv42a.dll C:\ Windows\ System32\ USRobotics Modem
usrv80a.dll C:\ Windows\ System32\ USRobotics Modem
usrvoica.dll C:\ Windows\ System32\ USRobotics Modem
usrvpa.dll C:\ Windows\ System32\ USRobotics Modem

usrshuta.exe C:\ Windows\ System32\ USRobotics Modem
usrmlnka.exe C:\ Windows\ System32\ USRobotics Modem
usrprbda.exe C:\ Windows\ System32\ USRobotics Modem

srgb.icm C:\ Windows\ System32\ color\ Printer

Are these causing instabilities or stopping anything working? Can I manually install if so can these be gotten from internet?

Thanks

Last edited by sl23 on Mon Oct 19, 2009 11:22 am; edited 2 times in total
SoftStag

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2009 7:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really think you are better starting again with a proper copy of the Windows disk. These files you are mentioning should be taken from the Windows install files, and they are not there. Whoever created this disk may not need them for their PC, however it seems yours does!

Always use the key on the computer, that is unique to you. Don't activate until you have a working system, they don't like you repeatedly activating the same key, and you get 30 days in which to activate. If you use a fake key or hack then more than likely the PC will fail the Windows Genuine Advantage test and refuse to work fully or install updates.
sl23

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2009 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks I appreciate what you're saying but i've spent the last 2 days setting this up and it's going ok. Internet isn't likely to be used just needed it for activation but think i've sorted it. Also got the sound working by dl the .dll files necessary for Realteks drivers to work with soundcard - or something like that.

If for some reason it all fails miserably I have another version I can try which is an untouched retail copy of XP Pro SP3. But being Pro and SP3 I don't hold much hope for that. At least for now its working until I can get a retail copy of Home SP2.

Thanks so much for your help though it's greatly appreciated
SoftStag

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2009 6:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sl23 wrote:
Thanks I appreciate what you're saying but i've spent the last 2 days setting this up and it's going ok. Internet isn't likely to be used just needed it for activation but think i've sorted it. Also got the sound working by dl the .dll files necessary for Realteks drivers to work with soundcard - or something like that.

Excellent! Very Happy

You don't need to put the PC on the internet to activate it, you can call the toll free number - it's an automated process.

sl23 wrote:
If for some reason it all fails miserably I have another version I can try which is an untouched retail copy of XP Pro SP3. But being Pro and SP3 I don't hold much hope for that. At least for now its working until I can get a retail copy of Home SP2.

It is an OEM copy of XP Home you need, not the Retail version (they have different product keys)!

sl23 wrote:
Thanks so much for your help though it's greatly appreciated

You are welcome, as always! Smile
sl23

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2009 11:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

After scouring the internet I managed to download all the missing files and found out their relevance - see EDIT in post above.

It appears they are unnecessary and I suspect they were for the original owners PC as those drivers were relevant to the original hardware.

I say this for any one reading this post as it may help them, hope it does.

Thanks again goes to Softstag Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
Reply to topic    Free PC Support Forum Home -> Helproom All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: