Free PC Support
PC Help Forums from the Experts at Technical-Assistance.co.uk

Google

Search The Web Search This Site
 RSS FeedRSS Feed   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Restoring Windows XP from full backup - incomplete restore.

Reply to topic    Free PC Support Forum Home -> Helproom
oliverw

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 12:40 am    Post subject: Restoring Windows XP from full backup - incomplete restore. Reply with quote

Very brief statement of problem: Windows XP restore from a full backup didn't restore everything.
My friend Colin, who knows virtually nothing about computers, has a Dell desktop with Windows XP Home Media edition with SP2 (Dimension 5150) and a few weeks ago it started giving the Blue Screen of Death (BSOD): error code 7B (can't access boot device).

What I did:
1. Run Recovery Console (from a Windows XP Home SP2 OEM installation CD) and run CHKDSK. It took quite a long time (2 hours? not sure) and finally reported it had found and fixed 2 bad sectors. Rebooting still ends with BSOD.

2. Run fixboot, fixmbr and bootcfg from the Recovery Console.
Still BSOD on booting.

3. Take out the HDD (it's a WD, 160 GB, 3.5" SATA) and mount it in an external housing with a USB cable interface.

4. Use my Win XP installation (also SP2, on a Toshiba laptop) to do a full backup (using Windows Backup) from the WD HDD onto an NTFS partition on my existing external backup HDD in a USB housing. Size of backup file about 13 GB - Colin's use was almost exclusively email.

5. Refit the WD HDD to the Dell PC and do a Recovery by pressing Ctrl+F11 during boot. This appears to work and gives a "new" and bootable XP system that asks the first-time questions.

6. Try to restore the original (pre-BSOD) state by connecting my USB HDD (onto which I did the backup) and using Windows backup to restore from the backup file that I made. I used the option that only overwrites files that are newer in the backup.

7. Now the problem: it seems that something, but not enough, has been restored from the original pre-BSOD system. For example, it now has an account called Colin and the driver for the WiFi USB device.
However:
(a) it hasn't restored the WiFi encryption key and I needed an Ethernet cable to be able to connect to the Internet;
(b) the desktop icons are not the ones that Colin is used to and, in particular, the Outlook icon isn't there and Outlook isn't in the list of installed programs.
(further problem: when I ran Internet Explorer (probably version 6) and tried to connect to BT (he has a BTInternet account, which he can access from the office where he works), the home page was immediately replaced by a McAfee SpamKiller page that said this was a dangerous page. I tried to disable McAfee or turn it off, but without success, and the only "McAfee" entry in the Add/Remove programs section of the Control Panel is the McAfee uninstaller.)

My main question: Have I restored as much as Windows Backup can restore from the backup that I made? Or, would doing a complete restore (or something else?), including the allegedly not-newer and therefore identical, files, in fact restore more of the original working system? Can I fairly easily find out whether the cause of the original BSOD has caused this loss of part of the original information and, if so, what?
Although I have made some progress since the original BSOD, Colin doesn't want to go on without a working system and has more or less decided to buy a new computer.

Thanks if you can give some help.
Oliver
JonS

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

really hard to answer this without knowing just what exactly you backed up. MS backup isn't all that good, and by default it doesn't image a whole drive.....

Given what you've posted, my best guess is all that was backed up was your friends documents and not a lot else. If so you've not a hope of restoring the OS to "as was".
However, I could be wrong so try doing a complete restore from the backup. If that works, fine. If that doesn't then you are going to have to restore it back to factory settings yet again, rebuild the software, then try to explore that backup image, locate your friends Outlook PST mail folder and try to manually extra
ct if from the image and import it into Outlook

Now the sting in the tail. MS Outlook in WinXP doesn't work. Its fundamentaly broken. It as only included on the XP setup disk for compatibility with Win2000, and came with warnings over its use in the associated text file.
It just proves the point I've made time and time again: backups to a special backup format are a total waste of time. The thing to do is to simply COPY your data, so in an emergency it can be simply copied back again without the need of special programs. Keep an image of the basic operating system (using Ghost or similar) in case you do need to restore the machine (you have the Dell image available), but don't mess around backing up whole drives. You're never sure if the data is backed up, and theres no guarantee the backup software will actually work (or even be available) to restore the image anyway

As to the cause of the BSOD, not a chance of working out what caused it unless you have the text of the full error message
oliverw

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 11:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your reply, Jon. It's useful to know what you wrote, even if I don't do any more on that Dell PC. Unless Colin contacts me again to suggest that I continue work on it after all, he's likely to acquire a new one with, I suppose Windows 8 or perhaps Windows 7. I think he mainly used that PC for email, and it is webmail, on his BTInternet account. His needs may well be satisfied by a tablet PC - he can use it for emails via a browser and to type what he calls "documents" (using MS Office or something like Notepad).

Idea I suppose I could restore all files (except those in the Windows and Program Files folders) from the backup I made (on an external USB disk) onto another (or even the same) USB disk or flash stick so that they are "ordinary" files again and see whether that contains anything that he might want (most likely in the Documents and Settings hierarchy of folders).

Oliver
JonS

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 11:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I misread your original post somewhere and got the imrpession he was using Outlook for mail.......if he's using the BTYahoo webmail then theres even less reason to mess around
I'd reload it back to factory settings, install the updates and then just try to extract any required odd files off the backup. Its been a few years, but I think the XP backup gives the option to restore individual files.
What is certain though is that with your part restoration the file versions on the drive, won't match whats in the registry (or the ini files for that matter)

Last edited by JonS on Sun Jan 27, 2013 3:55 pm; edited 1 time in total
oliverw

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 12:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, he iis sure that he used Outlook for email, yet he can see the same emails in the office as he was able to at home, from which I conclude they were webmails, and not downloaded to the computer, therefore through a web browser - perhaps he doesn't know there's a difference between Outlook and Internet Explorer!
Oliver
Reply to topic    Free PC Support Forum Home -> Helproom All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: