Free PC Support
PC Help Forums from the Experts at Technical-Assistance.co.uk

Google

Search The Web Search This Site
 RSS FeedRSS Feed   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Rooter not working, please help
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Reply to topic    Free PC Support Forum Home -> Helproom
AuraTodd

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2012 10:28 pm    Post subject: Rooter not working, please help Reply with quote

Hi I have an ADSL Briadband Modem Ethernet rooter which connects to the internet but lately I have to keep pressing the button at the back to reboot it or I can't get on the internet. I am with TalkTalk and I rang up their technical line but I couldn't understand what the Indian woman was saying.

She at first asked me the model and the number then said Talk Talk couldn't recognise the number, and I would have to call my service provider. I said it had their name on it.

Then they asked me to ring back on my mobile while they checked the line. I said I didn't have much credit and she said someone could come to my house at a cost of £49, so I opted to use my mobile and had to go through all the options again and ended up with a different person, so I had to explain everything again.

Can you tell me how I can get the modem repaired and if it could be wearing out. The woman said she could talk me through it as I said I wasn't technically minded. This is going to be complicated, seeing as I can't understand what she is saying.

Not all the lights are lite on the modem and the light that shows I am connected is orange, while only the power button is green all the others are orange.

Many thanks and hope you can help me?
JonS

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2012 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, the first thing to note is that TalkTalk's tech support is the worst of all the UK ISPs. I know from personal experience that talking to them is virtually pointless. Often YOU have to diagnose the problem and then tell THEM how to fix it.....

As to the actual problem. This could be
Incorrect router settings (quite likely if you've hit the reset button)
Faulty router (in which case not repairable - it would need replacement)
Line problems (faulty line can kill broadband, but not the phone service)
Exchange problems
Authentication problem at TalkTalk

Given your lack of experience I really do suggest that you call in some help for this one. Any decent computer tech should be able to work out whats going wrong, and if necessary tell TalkTalk what to do

However, before you do that,
two questions
1) what is the model number on the router? Can you describe its shape and colour of it?
2) Do you have your TalkTalk user name and password. This is NOT the same as your e-mail address, and usually takes the form of yourphonenumber@talktalk.net, while the password is a random string of eight capital letters and numbers
Please DON'T type the user name and password here - I just need to know if you have them
AuraTodd

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2012 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JonS wrote:
Well, the first thing to note is that TalkTalk's tech support is the worst of all the UK ISPs. I know from personal experience that talking to them is virtually pointless. Often YOU have to diagnose the problem and then tell THEM how to fix it.....

As to the actual problem. This could be
Incorrect router settings (quite likely if you've hit the reset button)
Faulty router (in which case not repairable - it would need replacement)
Line problems (faulty line can kill broadband, but not the phone service)
Exchange problems
Authentication problem at TalkTalk

Given your lack of experience I really do suggest that you call in some help for this one. Any decent computer tech should be able to work out whats going wrong, and if necessary tell TalkTalk what to do

However, before you do that,
two questions
1) what is the model number on the router? Can you describe its shape and colour of it? Its a SmartAX MT882

2) Do you have your TalkTalk user name and password. This is NOT the same as your e-mail address, and usually takes the form of yourphonenumber@talktalk.net, while the password is a random string of eight capital letters and numbers

Please DON'T type the user name and password here - I just need to know if you have them

I have details of what I use on the TalkTalk website but how do I get them if I didn't know?

I have swapped routers, but I still had to push the button at the back to reboot to connect. Do you think its time for a new modem as this one dates from 2007!†

Is the Netgear N600 Wireless Dual Band Gigabit ADSL2+ Modem Router any good, and can i use it even through i havenít an account with TalkTalk?†

I know the cutomer services are bad and I would like to go to someone better. can you recommend anyone please? Many thanks.
JonS

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2012 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, that router is for use with cable networks, not ADSL.

You are now confusing me when you say "and can i use it even through i havenít an account with TalkTalk? "
Is TalkTalk your ISP or not?
As to what you can use- TalkTalk don't mind what router you use, unlike Sky.

Your comments about pressing buttons worry me as well - is that the power switch or the reset button? If its the reset button you will set the router to default and I won't be able to connect until its reconfigured. In short, stop pressing the button......

Now can I ask again - what is the model of the router you are currently using, the one TalkTalk didn't recognise?
AuraTodd

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2012 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JonS wrote:
No, that router is for use with cable networks, not ADSL.

You are now confusing me when you say "and can i use it even through i havenít an account with TalkTalk? "
Is TalkTalk your ISP or not?
As to what you can use- TalkTalk don't mind what router you use, unlike Sky.

Your comments about pressing buttons worry me as well - is that the power switch or the reset button? If its the reset button you will set the router to default and I won't be able to connect until its reconfigured. In short, stop pressing the button......

Now can I ask again - what is the model of the router you are currently using, the one TalkTalk didn't recognise?

Sorry I meant to put have an account' (typing error). TalkTalk is my ISP Smile

I think its the reset button on the back. The model is a SmartAX MT882 router.

Many thanks.
JonS

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2012 10:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, first point
You need to find your user name and password
You can retrieve that by phoning 0870 0875 562 and following the automatic prompts

Next the setup instructions for that router are at
http://help.talktalk.co.uk/app/answers/detail/a_id/1614/~/setting-up-your-huawei-smartax-mt882-router

try that and see how yo get on.
The router may be faulty, but I suspect you've created your own problems by using that reset switch
AuraTodd

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2012 11:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JonS wrote:
OK, first point
You need to find your user name and password
You can retrieve that by phoning 0870 0875 562 and following the automatic prompts

Next the setup instructions for that router are at
http://help.talktalk.co.uk/app/answers/detail/a_id/1614/~/setting-up-your-huawei-smartax-mt882-router

try that and see how yo get on.
The router may be faulty, but I suspect you've created your own problems by using that reset switch

Should I leave it on all the time in future when I am not at the PC?
JonS

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2012 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As a rule its always a good idea to keep an ADSL route on as it enable the exchange software to calculate a stable working speed for the line.
If you turn it off the software assumes an error, and degrades the signal speed in an attempt to compensate

But thats not relevant to the current problem - or have you now got it working?
AuraTodd

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2012 11:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JonS wrote:
As a rule its always a good idea to keep an ADSL route on as it enable the exchange software to calculate a stable working speed for the line.
If you turn it off the software assumes an error, and degrades the signal speed in an attempt to compensate

But thats not relevant to the current problem - or have you now got it working?

I have to reset it a couple of times now before it connects, but on my new one I am going to leave well alone.

One thing I would like to ask isÖ I canít find the software listed for my current TalkTalk modem, so if I got the new modem and installed the CD that came with it, would it override the old information of my old modem and replace it with the new settings.

I am unsure if it would do this, thanks.
JonS

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2012 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Routers do not require software to be installed
You log into routers via a web browser and configure them that way.
Best thing you can do with the Talktalk software is uninstall it and throw the disk away. All it does it slow the computer down
AuraTodd

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2012 9:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JonS wrote:
Routers do not require software to be installed
You log into routers via a web browser and configure them that way.
Best thing you can do with the Talktalk software is uninstall it and throw the disk away. All it does it slow the computer down

When I install the CD for the modem do I have to switch on the modem and get on the internet first? Or do I put in details before the modem is switched on? Unsure which is the right procedure.
JonS

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2012 12:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

you never need to use a CD to install a modem-router

Exactly which modem router are you now talking about?
The TalkTalk supplied one? or a new one? Which model is it?
Reply to topic    Free PC Support Forum Home -> Helproom All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: