Free PC Support
PC Help Forums from the Experts at Technical-Assistance.co.uk

Google

Search The Web Search This Site
 RSS FeedRSS Feed   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Safely remove "hardware"

Reply to topic    Free PC Support Forum Home -> Helproom
mp

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2008 2:37 pm    Post subject: Safely remove "hardware" Reply with quote

Without any hardware being connected to my (Dell) laptop, the "safely remove hardware" icon repeatedly appears on the toolbar together with its annoying beeps, and when clicking on it, a window appears stating that it is safe to remove my "disk drive" - the icon disappears for a few minutes and then comes back.
SoftStag

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2008 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You must have a removable drive of some description attached. This allows you to safely remove it if required, if not leave alone.
"Microsoft programs are generally bug-free. If you visit the Microsoft hotline, you'll literally have to wait weeks if not months until someone calls in with a bug in one of our programs. 99.99% of calls turn out to be user mistakes. I know not a single less irrelevant reason for an update than bugfixes. The reasons for updates are to present more new features."
-- Bill Gates, on code stability, from Focus Magazine
mp

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2008 7:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, that is why it is so confusing. There is no removable drive connected to the computer
SoftStag

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2008 5:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When you click on it, what devices does it mention? It could be your CD drive, or even your main hard drive that is technically removable.
"Microsoft programs are generally bug-free. If you visit the Microsoft hotline, you'll literally have to wait weeks if not months until someone calls in with a bug in one of our programs. 99.99% of calls turn out to be user mistakes. I know not a single less irrelevant reason for an update than bugfixes. The reasons for updates are to present more new features."
mp

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2008 10:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Apologies for the delay in replying.
The screen that comes up reads as follows:
Select the device you want to unplug or eject, and then click Stop. When Windows notifies you that it is safe to do so unplug th device from your computer.
Hardware devices
Disk drive

Disk drive at Location 0

Properties Stop

Display device components (box unticked)

Close

Confirm devices to be stopped. Choose OK to continue

Windows will attempt to stop the following devices. After the devices are stopped they may be removed safely

Disk drive

OK Cancel

Does this help???
SoftStag

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2008 5:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is probably your main hard drive, which it shouldn't allow you to stop because it is required for Windows to run. You should get more info if you tick the box.
cincrulz11

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2008 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just bought a Dell a month ago, at first it was fine, but for the past 2 weeks I've been getting the safely remove hardware icon popping up at random times throughout the day. I've contacted dell's customer service but they didn't help me at all after uninstalling and reinstalling a bunch of drivers. Was there ever a solution to this?
Reply to topic    Free PC Support Forum Home -> Helproom All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: