Free PC Support
PC Help Forums from the Experts at Technical-Assistance.co.uk

Google

Search The Web Search This Site
 RSS FeedRSS Feed   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

satellite broadband assistance

Reply to topic    Free PC Support Forum Home -> Helproom
augie

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2008 11:26 am    Post subject: satellite broadband assistance Reply with quote

I need assistance please. Due to the unavailability of regular broadband in my area I have been forced to use satellite broadband for the last 2 years now. Up until now I have few problems but now I am having a problem that I cannot seem to fix. When it was installed the company concerned installed it on my upstairs pc and I have since used a belkin wireless connector so that I can also use it on my pc downstairs and again this is working fine. I have recently purchased a laptop with a wireless card pre installed and again this has no problem connecting to the satellite broadband.

The way my satellite broadband works is that it dials into the phone line but the data is then set back down to my pc at a faster rate than dial up. My internet settings downstairs(using the belkin) it is set to never dial a connection but I am unsure if it is meant to be set to the same upstairs or if it should be set to dial my default. Confused I have tried it both ways and nothing seems to work on this particular pc. It has been suggested that it might be that some card in that pc is damaged but I am not technical enough to know and short of going to some computer repair shop I dont know what else to do. Is it the settings that are wrong or might it be a pc problem and if so is there anyway I can check it myself ?

Any assistance would be gratefully accepted
SoftStag

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2008 5:23 am    Post subject: ICS Reply with quote

I assume that you are using a wireless adapter (Belkin) and Internet Connection Sharing to get the internet to your laptop from the upstairs PC? If this is the case, then the laptop should be set to never dial a connection as this is accessing the internet via wireless LAN. I've never dealt with satellite broadband before, but I would imagine the PC upstairs will need to be set to dial whatever DUN has been set up for it (it may be Default - I don't know). The thing is, I would have thought there was some software on the PC upstairs to manage the connectivity and help route the data via 2 connections (satellite and dial up). Which ISP are you with, maybe their website will offer some assistance.
"Microsoft programs are generally bug-free. If you visit the Microsoft hotline, you'll literally have to wait weeks if not months until someone calls in with a bug in one of our programs. 99.99% of calls turn out to be user mistakes. I know not a single less irrelevant reason for an update than bugfixes. The reasons for updates are to present more new features."
-- Bill Gates, on code stability, from Focus Magazine
augie

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2008 9:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The pc upstairs was where the sat broadband was originally set up and has worked in tandem with pc downstairs for the best part of 2 years now. The laptop was bought approx 2 months ago and again has worked fine with sat broadband since. However 2 weeks ago my ability to access internet on upstairs pc stopped for no apparent reason and after swapping around with my internet connection settings I am unsure what way they were before I started. Sometimes when I try to connect to internet it tells me that there is no dialtone but seeing as my downstairs pc and my laptop dial into that very same phone line via the belkin then I cannot see how that is unless there is some problem with a card in the upstairs pc.

What I actually wanted was (a) someone to tell me what way my settings should be & (b) to find out if there is some test that I can run to see if there is some problem in my pc upstairs so that I dont go the rounds of disconnecting it and bringing it to some repair shop only to find that it wasnt necessary in the 1st place. Seeing as I only got 1 response in 24 hours I guess that isnt going to happen but thanks anyway
SoftStag

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2008 11:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I still don't understand how it is set up. Are you using Internet Connection Sharing in Windows to allow the connection to get to the laptop? Your 2nd post suggests that your laptop dials the internet, is that the case?

It really would help if we knew what ISP you are with, I have never dealt with satellite broadband before, and almost all ISPs have support pages that can help with how to configure the setup.
"Microsoft programs are generally bug-free. If you visit the Microsoft hotline, you'll literally have to wait weeks if not months until someone calls in with a bug in one of our programs. 99.99% of calls turn out to be user mistakes. I know not a single less irrelevant reason for an update than bugfixes. The reasons for updates are to present more new features."
-- Bill Gates, on code stability, from Focus Magazine
Reply to topic    Free PC Support Forum Home -> Helproom All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: