Free PC Support
PC Help Forums from the Experts at Technical-Assistance.co.uk

Google

Search The Web Search This Site
 RSS FeedRSS Feed   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

setting up desktop wifi

Reply to topic    Free PC Support Forum Home -> Helproom
avextraxjp

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2007 12:29 am    Post subject: setting up desktop wifi Reply with quote

I would like to allow my home desktop Pc to connect to WIFI. How may I do so?
I've heard about a USB WIFI dongle, is that option available?
The Pc's pretty new, less than a year old.
SoftStag

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2007 1:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You need to install a Wi-Fi card. 'USB Dongles' are available, however they are not really recommended. They generally have poor reception and are not reliable. It is better to get a PCI wi-fi card that installs internally to the system.
"Microsoft programs are generally bug-free. If you visit the Microsoft hotline, you'll literally have to wait weeks if not months until someone calls in with a bug in one of our programs. 99.99% of calls turn out to be user mistakes. I know not a single less irrelevant reason for an update than bugfixes. The reasons for updates are to present more new features."
-- Bill Gates, on code stability, from Focus Magazine
avextraxjp

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2007 12:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is that the only thing I need to install?
Any brand you recommend? How much does it cost?
Markb

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2007 9:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What are you tying to connect to. There are 2 main ways of setting up WiFi. Ad Hoc which is where 2 PC's have wireless cards and they connect to each other or using an Access Point. If you are wanting to share an Internet connection via WiFi, you will need a router that has WiFi build in. Can you give some more details of what equipment yuo have and what you are trying to achieve?
SoftStag

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2007 12:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My last post has a link to a recommended PCI wi-fi card
"Microsoft programs are generally bug-free. If you visit the Microsoft hotline, you'll literally have to wait weeks if not months until someone calls in with a bug in one of our programs. 99.99% of calls turn out to be user mistakes. I know not a single less irrelevant reason for an update than bugfixes. The reasons for updates are to present more new features."
avextraxjp

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2008 2:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How do I set up a home wireless connection? I've got an exisiting broadband connection. Do I simply purchase one of those wireless routers and simply plug it into the phone line?

to be used at home for about 3 users using laptops.
SoftStag

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2008 5:39 am    Post subject: Wireless Router Reply with quote

It depends on the type of broadband connection that you have. If you have an ADSL connection, then you will need a router with inbuilt ADSL modem like the Netgear DG834G. You will need to configure the router with you broadband account's details (username, password, etc). The out of the box config will enable an unsecured network, so it is wise to enable WEP to prevent other people from connecting to your router.

Most laptops these days already come wi-fi enabled, but if they are not, then you will need to buy a USB or PCMCIA wi-fi adapter.
Reply to topic    Free PC Support Forum Home -> Helproom All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: