Free PC Support
PC Help Forums from the Experts at Technical-Assistance.co.uk

Google

Search The Web Search This Site
 RSS FeedRSS Feed   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Setting up WiFi (and a potentially dodgy port??)

Reply to topic    Free PC Support Forum Home -> Helproom
jc7885

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2007 3:37 pm    Post subject: Setting up WiFi (and a potentially dodgy port??) Reply with quote

Wondering if i can get some input from someone regarding setup of a new bradband connection since Tiscali tech are pretty much useless!! I can't get the router installed on the computer so i can't access it and i don't trust the opinion of Tiscali as to what the fault is.

Here's the background to the issue:

+ My flatmate has just acquired a Tiscali broadband package that uses a wireless router.

+ I've already installed Tiscali broadband as i use it for another connection at home.

+ My flatmate has already installed it, it's working perfectly fine for him.

+ When i try to install the router by using a CAT 5 lead, the installation package does not detect the router.

+ I've tried an Ip config to try and acquire the default gateway (just to see if i'm getting any communication with the router). It immediately comes back with the report "media state disconnected".

+ I've tried "pinging" it as the tiscali person advised me to do, 4 packets sent, 4 packets received - so there's evidence of some communication...

+ I've tried plugging the lead into different ports on the back of the router to see whether the port is at fault- no luck.

+ The router shows that there is a live connection between the laptop and the router, as does the small port light on the laptop HOWEVER the second light does not flash at all to indicate transmission activity.

Tiscali suspect it's my ethernet port. Both connections are firmly in place and can't be removed unless pressing in the clip to release the cable. After moving the cable to see whether this affects the connection, although it's still in the computer, the connection goes down before coming back up again.

Q) Can anyone suggest anyway i can resolve this? I don't think it's the lead as it works for someone else. Could i detect and install the router a different way, through the USB port maybe? Doe such a RJ45-to-USB adaptor exist?

Thanks to anyone who can help.
Markb

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2007 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,
One quick one to start with. is you Laptop plugged into the mains. Some makes disable the ethernet when on batteries as a way to save power, assuming that you are not plugged in to a network port when running batteries.

What do you get when running ipconfig /all (Check out the tutorials on how to post the info) Cable disconnected and a replying ping do not add up, is it showing a ppp connection or wireless as well?

Is the Cat 5 cable pre made or home made? If it is home made and your laptop has a gigabit ethernet it is possible it would work for a 100Mb card but not for yours as Gigabit uses all 4 pairs and if the cable is home made but was slightly incorrectly wired, it could be a problem. When looking at the plug with the clip at the bottom and the cable coming into it from below the order should be Orange & White, Orange, Green & White, Blue, Blue & White, Green. Brown & White, Brown.
jc7885

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2007 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Markb,

I've been trying to connect to it whilst running on the battery...... Didn't think how the use of battery and not mains could affect my connectivity so i'll try that.

The CAT 5 lead is pre made, so the wiring and stuff has got nothing to do with me.

When i run ipconfig, it doesn;t display the usual details regarding default gateway, etc... it just reports that the "media state disconnected". It doesn't generate an IP address at all.

When i said i tried pinging it, obviously that was with the patch lead still connected.

Neverless, i'll try connecting using the mains lead. Have to add, this website is much more helpful than any helpline!!!!
Reply to topic    Free PC Support Forum Home -> Helproom All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: