Free PC Support
PC Help Forums from the Experts at Technical-Assistance.co.uk

Google

Search The Web Search This Site
 RSS FeedRSS Feed   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

shut down
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Reply to topic    Free PC Support Forum Home -> Helproom
gandac

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2008 4:49 pm    Post subject: shut down Reply with quote

my Dell laptop running WindowsXP, will not shutdown using 'Start'(then turn off computer). I have to hold down power button , which I believe is not advisable any suggestions appreciated.[/code]
SoftStag

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2008 4:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, this is not the correct way to turn off the computer, it can cause file corruption. What happens when you try to shutdown correctly? Are there any errors? Do any open windows close?
"Microsoft programs are generally bug-free. If you visit the Microsoft hotline, you'll literally have to wait weeks if not months until someone calls in with a bug in one of our programs. 99.99% of calls turn out to be user mistakes. I know not a single less irrelevant reason for an update than bugfixes. The reasons for updates are to present more new features."
-- Bill Gates, on code stability, from Focus Magazine
gandac

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2008 4:20 pm    Post subject: shutdown Reply with quote

after start menue, the 'standby,shutdown,restart' panel appears as normal. click on 'shutdown', panel disappears, but full desktop plus icons
remain until eventually pc screen goes into 'rest' mode. Thank you for your interest.
SoftStag

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2008 6:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Please try the following:
Arrow Right click on My Computer and select Properties
Arrow Click on the Advanced tab at the top
Arrow Under Startup & Recovery click Settings
Arrow Under System Failure remove the tick for Automatically restart
Arrow Click OK for all the open boxes

Now when you shut down, do you get a error showing. If so, can you let us know what the error is?
"Microsoft programs are generally bug-free. If you visit the Microsoft hotline, you'll literally have to wait weeks if not months until someone calls in with a bug in one of our programs. 99.99% of calls turn out to be user mistakes. I know not a single less irrelevant reason for an update than bugfixes. The reasons for updates are to present more new features."
gandac

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2008 5:19 pm    Post subject: shutdown Reply with quote

softstag,
followed instructions, but 'auto restart' already un-ticked, no error msg.
I tried cl.+alt+delete, in the task mgr.I clicked 'user' then 'log off', from the next panel ('to begin click user name') I clicked 'turn off computer'
it worked!! I even re-started and tried again, my com. shutdown ok.
is this info. any help? Thank you again.
SoftStag

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2008 5:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm a little unclear, are you saying that it now shuts down correctly, or only shuts down correctly if you shutdown via Task Manager?
gandac

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2008 9:37 am    Post subject: shutdown Reply with quote

sofstag, sorry, I should have said shutdown only via the task mgr. Still no action via the 'start' menu
SoftStag

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2008 9:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you get any problems showing in Event Viewer after a failed shutdown?
gandac

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2008 6:31 pm    Post subject: shutdown Reply with quote

softstag, please excuse my computer ignorance, what or where is an 'event viewer'. No error msgs or statements appear after attempted s/d only the usual d/t sreen display. I have restored (back as far as I can go) to see if that would cure , still no go
SoftStag

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2008 6:00 am    Post subject: Event Viewer Reply with quote

Arrow In the Control Panel open Performance and Maintenance and then click Administrative Tools
Arrow Double click on Computer Management then in the console tree on the left click Event Viewer

From here you can view the Application, Security, and System logs. These will show any errors, I am looking for errors that happen when the system is shutting down.

Last edited by SoftStag on Sat Jun 07, 2008 6:50 am; edited 1 time in total
gandac

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2008 5:06 pm    Post subject: shutdown Reply with quote

Softstag. event viewer, at a s/d point. Info. under hdg's
type date/tm source. cat. event user computer
warning 05/06 user32 none 1073 system D705VR13
suc. audit 17.29 Security logon/lo 551 gandac D705VR13
SoftStag

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2008 6:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, nothing helpful there...

Is this a recent problem? Are you able to use System Restore to go back to a time when it was working?
Reply to topic    Free PC Support Forum Home -> Helproom All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: