Free PC Support
PC Help Forums from the Experts at Technical-Assistance.co.uk

Google

Search The Web Search This Site
 RSS FeedRSS Feed   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

So many problems!
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Reply to topic    Free PC Support Forum Home -> Helproom
willowthewysp

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2007 12:03 pm    Post subject: So many problems! Reply with quote

Hi!
Im new here, and im sure you are gonna wish i would go away very soon!
I have been corresponding on another forum regarding the problems i am having with my computer...they have tried to help me, but have given me this link to this forum(i think they have had enough of me!!!)

As i have already done a few things to try and sort this problem out, may i put a link to theforum where i have posted?..Rather than go through everything again!
http://www.avmechanic.co.uk/help/general-hardware/t-new-hard-drive-2675.html
If you go to that link, you can see what my problem is!
I am desperate for help!
Thankyou!
SoftStag

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2007 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is going to be quite difficult as you are already getting help on the other forum.

From reading the thread, it sounds like both the hardware and software are unstable. Firstly, I would do a general reseat of everything inside the PC. That basically means if it can be unplugged, unplug it, check the contacts are clean and reconnect it. That goes for memory, cables, PCI cards, basically everything. The fact that the PC was so dusty inside means that it is quite likely that some of the contacts are not very clean and reseating them will resolve that.

If that is not working, then reset the BIOS to defaults. This usually involves pressing the <del> key just after turning it on and selecting the setting for Defaults.

If that hasn't done anything, then I'd go for a format and reinstall of Windows etc. I know you haven't got the disk, but I have no sympathy it's illegal to run non-licensed software. You can pick up a copy of Windows 98SE with original disk, product code and license for very little from eBay.

The RAM modules may be faulty, that is what is being suggested in the other forum. I'm in 2 minds about that. Given the cost of RAM it may be worth throwing the old stuff out and putting a couple of 256Mb sticks in there, if everything else is OK it'll speed up your PC no end just by the fact that there is more RAM.

Of course all of the above may not help the situation at all, and some of it will involve spending money. It may be worth considering a replacement PC?
"Microsoft programs are generally bug-free. If you visit the Microsoft hotline, you'll literally have to wait weeks if not months until someone calls in with a bug in one of our programs. 99.99% of calls turn out to be user mistakes. I know not a single less irrelevant reason for an update than bugfixes. The reasons for updates are to present more new features."
-- Bill Gates, on code stability, from Focus Magazine
willowthewysp

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2007 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thankyou for replying...any help or hints are very much appreciated...im a bit of a donut when it comes to this sort of thing!

Quote:
If that hasn't done anything, then I'd go for a format and reinstall of Windows etc. I know you haven't got the disk, but I have no sympathy it's illegal to run non-licensed software. You can pick up a copy of Windows 98SE with original disk, product code and license for very little from eBay.

...I understand that, but please do not think i have an illegal copy on purpose...i thought i had the genuine and didn't realise until i started getting the box on start up stating it's not genuine...i even went to microsoft for help, but as they said, i do not have any details of the person i bought the computer from. I do intend on getting genuine windows.
As for the BIOS...can you tell me exactly what that is?(!)...i know that when i used a program called everesthome to check out some stuff, it is saying i could do with a BIOS update?
We also completley hoovered the inside of the computer a few months ago which made a lot of difference to the performance...so maybe dusty contacts could be the cause...
Anyway, i will go away and try everything you have suggested.
Thank you.
SoftStag

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2007 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BIOS stands for Basic Input Output System. This is a bit of software (firmware to be precise) that sits on a chip in the computer. It basically acts as an interpreter between the Hardware and the Software, without it the software would not be able to control the hardware and the PC would be basically useless. The BIOS has a setup utility that controls it's settings, if these are incorrectly set, then the PC can become unstable.

To reset the BIOS to it's default settings, you should do the following. When you start the computer on the very first screen it should say something like Press Del to enter Setup - you need to press the key is says. There should then be an option to Load BIOS defaults or similar. Do this, and exit saving settings.

I note in the other forum that you asked where to buy memory from, you can buy from this website's shop:
Kingston 512Mb PC133
Kingston 256Mb PC133
"Microsoft programs are generally bug-free. If you visit the Microsoft hotline, you'll literally have to wait weeks if not months until someone calls in with a bug in one of our programs. 99.99% of calls turn out to be user mistakes. I know not a single less irrelevant reason for an update than bugfixes. The reasons for updates are to present more new features."
willowthewysp

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2007 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for all your help!
I will re-set the BIOS then, and tommorrow i am also planning on re-seating everything.

I have just found out a neighbour a few doors down from me knows a fair bit about computers! So i will be dragging him in to help aswell!

We are going to get a genuine copy of windows once and for all...we have been meaning to sort that out for ages, and i think now is as good a time as any!

I have decided also to buy more memory and i note that you sell it here.....

Thanks again...lets just hope i can get this sorted out once and for all! Wink
markblu

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2007 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

basically all your problems will be solved by just getting a genuine windows xp cd from any store and installing it on your computer. this is what you were going to do right? good. you don't need the memory... only if you want a faster pc (and you may). burn all things you want to save like pictures and mp3 to cd first or you will lose them. always do a "new installation" or "fresh installation"
willowthewysp

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2007 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep...Im intending on buying a new genuine windows cd.
I am having problems with putting anything onto disc...well, i can't put anything onto disc...whenever i try, the disc gets ejected, saying there was a problem and the disc may no longer be writable!
Yes, they are new discs, in fact i bought more new discs yesterday, and they still got thrown out!
And yes, the driver is enabled..i have checked, and no problem shows up when i check the device manager...?
Any tips?!...The driver will play discs...it just won't record!..I have also tried recording at a lower speed with no luck!
markblu

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2007 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

install a cd writing software sometimes they come with the pc on a cd or already installed. windows explorer has killed many of my cd's too...
SoftStag

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2007 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

markblu wrote:
basically all your problems will be solved by just getting a genuine windows xp cd from any store and installing it on your computer.

This may or may not be the case. This is a complex issue, and know what will and will not fix the problem is difficult to determine.

I must warn you that, spending money on a new OS, and new RAM may not resolve the problem. We can only speculate what the actual issue may be. It could be the motherboard or processor, we don't know. If you are going to spend money on these things be aware, that on balance they probably will resolve your problems, but there is no guarantee of this.

willowthewysp wrote:
I am having problems with putting anything onto disc...well, i can't put anything onto disc...whenever i try, the disc gets ejected, saying there was a problem and the disc may no longer be writable!
Yes, they are new discs, in fact i bought more new discs yesterday, and they still got thrown out!
And yes, the driver is enabled..i have checked, and no problem shows up when i check the device manager...?
Any tips?!...The driver will play discs...it just won't record!..I have also tried recording at a lower speed with no luck!

If you are going to install a new OS, then worry about this one then. It would be helpful to know the error that the software gives when it ejects the CD. It could be a faulty drive, or the config may be messed up - my feeling is the later as your system is not too happy at the moment.
markblu

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2007 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sorry, you're right we should try to figure out the problem at hand before getting a new OS and components.

all i was saying though is that a new copy of windows would probably make a lot of errors go away that normally come around with OS's that have been used for a while. if this is a school pc with no security to stop installing of programs and changing of system settings then it would be best to install windows fresh off the back. i recommended this because i do have a xp cd and do this to my computers often. keeps things clean Smile
SoftStag

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2007 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

markblu wrote:
sorry, you're right we should try to figure out the problem at hand before getting a new OS and components.

all i was saying though is that a new copy of windows would probably make a lot of errors go away that normally come around with OS's that have been used for a while. if this is a school pc with no security to stop installing of programs and changing of system settings then it would be best to install windows fresh off the back. i recommended this because i do have a xp cd and do this to my computers often. keeps things clean Smile

I agree. Windows 98 tends to get bogged down, slow and troublesome after about a year of use, so it tends to be best to reinstall it once in a while.

Establishing what is the problem when there is potentially a corrupt OS and maybe even faulty hardware, is virtually impossible. It comes to a stage where you need to try things. Unfortunately, this costs money and I want willowthewysp to be aware that at the end of the day, this may not resolve his problem, and he will be out of pocket. I do however feel that new RAM and a freshly installed OS will more than likely resolve the problem.
willowthewysp

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2007 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To stop any confusion, i feel i must clear a few things up!
Firstly, Im a she, not a he...
I bought the computer 5 years ago...new, from someone who builds computers, they installed a genuine copy of windows xp pro, the problem was that it was a copy that had been used to install windows xp pro in schools...it had got over used, thats when it got 'locked'...
The main problems with my computer are:
On start up, it makes a loud noise, which after a few minutes will stop...this is new, and the noise is not normal (its like a sound you would hear if something was rubbing against the fan....which i have checked)
...the computer will not take any notice of me if i hit 'DEL' at start up...
It continuously re-starts on start up, i get a message saying that windows could not start due to possible hardware/software change...i then have a list of options...none work as the computer will restart!
After about half hour, it seems to stabalise and windows will start up!(although really slow!).
The cd drive has never let me record anything, but has always let me play games through it...although it does tend to make a noise sometimes!
The computer freezes for no apparant reason.
I know that we had got to the point of trying to install something(a game) on the computer and couldn't due to the memory being full..we only had a few games on the computer, so for the memory to be full, i wiuld have thought there was a problem with the memory?

I have tried to set the BIOS to default...but as i have already said, the computer will takes no notice!

I didn't want you thinking this was an old computer that has come from a school and has had a non gen windows installed.
I know the insides get dusty very quickly, but i am really worried about delving too far in, and what should and shouldn't be touched!
Reply to topic    Free PC Support Forum Home -> Helproom All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: