Free PC Support
PC Help Forums from the Experts at Technical-Assistance.co.uk

Google

Search The Web Search This Site
 RSS FeedRSS Feed   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

So much for the disappearing act...

Reply to topic    Free PC Support Forum Home -> Helproom
imcoocoo

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2008 6:09 am    Post subject: So much for the disappearing act... Reply with quote

My compaq nc6000 now decides it's gonna go into a loop whereby it turns on for exactly two seconds, turns off for five seonds, then repeats;
I have to physically hold down the power button like i'm gonna shut it down the wrong way to end the loop.
What does this mean?
I'm wondering if my bios may be damaged or my hard drive erased without me knowing?
Thankfully, i backed up 99% of what i want either to USB flash drives or CDs!
The rest i can look for later...
Will have to have my biological father's company have a look at it and see what they can think of...

Sad Crying or Very sad Confused Embarassed
Now i can't sleep, 'cause then i dream of the day i first got it!
That's when tears come to my eyes!b
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
SoftStag

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2008 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It sounds like the computer is rebooting before it tries to start up Windows. If I remember correctly, you are blind, which is going to cause a problem as we really need to know what comes on the screen before it reboots. Do you have someone that can help with this?

One thing you should try is unplugging any USB devices, and removing any disks from the drives and seeing if that makes any difference.
"Microsoft programs are generally bug-free. If you visit the Microsoft hotline, you'll literally have to wait weeks if not months until someone calls in with a bug in one of our programs. 99.99% of calls turn out to be user mistakes. I know not a single less irrelevant reason for an update than bugfixes. The reasons for updates are to present more new features."
-- Bill Gates, on code stability, from Focus Magazine
imcoocoo

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2008 9:12 pm    Post subject: Re: So much for the disappearing act? Reply with quote

I don't have sighted assistance here that often here;
also, i do not have any USB drives or CDs inserted; still happens.
BTW, is it just me, or does it seem like you are the only soul on earth who replies to my posts? lol?
Just kidding; everyone else is probably runnin' round like wild chickens, cluck cluck!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
SoftStag

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2008 6:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really need to know what is happening on the screen, so if you can let me know when you can we can take it from there. Unfortunately as we are not in Windows I can't imagine you can get any way of knowing what is on the screen without sighted assistance.
"Microsoft programs are generally bug-free. If you visit the Microsoft hotline, you'll literally have to wait weeks if not months until someone calls in with a bug in one of our programs. 99.99% of calls turn out to be user mistakes. I know not a single less irrelevant reason for an update than bugfixes. The reasons for updates are to present more new features."
-- Bill Gates, on code stability, from Focus Magazine
Reply to topic    Free PC Support Forum Home -> Helproom All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: