Free PC Support
PC Help Forums from the Experts at Technical-Assistance.co.uk

Google

Search The Web Search This Site
 RSS FeedRSS Feed   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

SOFTWARE DRIVER DISC WILL NOT RUN

Reply to topic    Free PC Support Forum Home -> Helproom
RAINMAN

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2010 7:53 pm    Post subject: SOFTWARE DRIVER DISC WILL NOT RUN Reply with quote

Hi, I'm new to the forum and am pretty much a novice. I have an IBM T20 laptop running XP with no built in wireless card. I have a wireless usb adapter and software driver disc. When I put the disc into the drive instead of automatically running and inviting me to download, Windows Media Player asks me what I want it to do. I have tried Start, Run and typing in d:\setup and d:\download but I get a message saying these commands not recognised. I've also tried My Computer which shows the D drive with WO5U which is on the disc so presumably it has recognised it, but when I open up it shows 2 items, USB 7.1 soundcard and WIFI card and I can't see how to run it. Could somebody please tell me how to get this software downloaded? This adapter has been used successfully with this laptop before, but when it stopped working with my Sky router I (foolishly probably) uninstalled the software in order to re-install it in the hope that it might get it working again!!!!!
demdike

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2010 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

what is the make / model of your wireless card?
RAINMAN

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2010 9:06 pm    Post subject: Software driver disc will not run Reply with quote

I was afraid somebody would ask for the make and model! There's no paperwork with it at all. The adapter itself has written on it 802.11b/g and 54mbps wireless usb adapter. The disc says Software Driver Not for sale Ver:W05U. Sorry there's nothing else.
demdike

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2010 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was going to suggest you simply download the driver
However thats clearly not going to work

You've two choices
1) explore that CD, open the folder for the wireless card driver, identify the setup executable file there and run it. It won't be in the root of d:\ - thats why your attempts are going wrong. Teh setup file is somewhere in that folder

2) if that proves too hard, buy a branded wireless adaptor, which even if you can't work out how to run the CD, you can download the drivers from the web

PS those Sky routers are not very reliable, its quite possibly faulty. But you'll have to get a replacement from Sky as they refuse to release details of the logon credentials required to access the Sky broadband network. There is a hack to find your username and password from the router, but you are not going to be able to do that - and if the router is faulty its not going to work anyway
RAINMAN

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2010 9:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your time and trouble. I'll have a crack at option 1 and if that fails I'll bite the bullet and buy another!!
demdike

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2010 8:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

well they're cheap enough nowadays
You should be able to find one for <12
goodtech

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2011 11:17 pm    Post subject: Re: SOFTWARE DRIVER DISC WILL NOT RUN Reply with quote

[quote="RAINMAN"]Hi, I'm new to the forum and am pretty much a novice. I have an IBM T20 laptop running XP with no built in wireless card. I have a wireless usb adapter and software driver disc. When I put the disc into the drive instead of automatically running and inviting me to download, Windows Media Player asks me what I want it to do. I have tried Start, Run and typing in d:\setup and d:\download but I get a message saying these commands not recognised. I've also tried My Computer which shows the D drive with WO5U which is on the disc so presumably it has recognised it, but when I open up it shows 2 items, USB 7.1 soundcard and WIFI card and I can't see how to run it. Could somebody please tell me how to get this software downloaded? This adapter has been used successfully with this laptop before, but when it stopped working with my Sky router I (foolishly probably) uninstalled the software in order to re-install it in the hope that it might get it working again!!!!![/quote]

The adapter is a RaLink I think it is a RT 2070
Reply to topic    Free PC Support Forum Home -> Helproom All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: