Free PC Support
PC Help Forums from the Experts at Technical-Assistance.co.uk

Google

Search The Web Search This Site
 RSS FeedRSS Feed   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Software to synchronize?

Reply to topic    Free PC Support Forum Home -> Helproom
bertz

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2009 9:27 am    Post subject: Software to synchronize? Reply with quote

I think the idea is quite exciting! So, it should probably be possible to synchronize data on multiple computers. It would solve a lot of admin problems...but does it really work? Has someone already experience with synchronizing data like that? I am much on the way and therefore seek a possibility to access my working folders, important files and e-mail from my Notebook and Desktop Pc. I already heard of a lot of Sync programs and wanted to ask for your experiences in general. Perhaps someone has a tip on how to do this the easiest way? Greetings, bertz
SoftStag

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2009 12:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's not something I favour; not sure why, I just don't.

For me, I find having data in centralised locations that I can access. If both your systems are on a Local network, then consider using Network Attached Storage NAS) - this is basically a hard drive that connects to the network and can be shared to allow your computers to access the files. Alternatively use internet based storage, such as Windows Live's SkyDrive, or using a web disk (if you have a hosting provider that can provide you such access).
"Microsoft programs are generally bug-free. If you visit the Microsoft hotline, you'll literally have to wait weeks if not months until someone calls in with a bug in one of our programs. 99.99% of calls turn out to be user mistakes. I know not a single less irrelevant reason for an update than bugfixes. The reasons for updates are to present more new features."
-- Bill Gates, on code stability, from Focus Magazine
Markb

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2009 1:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is built in to Windows professional and you can sync network drives to be available off line. Don't think you need a windows server to do it, I might be wrong though. If using a 3rd party application, I would want to find something that didn't just look at the time and date stamp and keep the latest one, but rather could track if changes were made to both.
Lucky_Looser

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2009 4:32 pm    Post subject: Data synchronization Reply with quote

Hey!

I never had any problems with Syncing.net. Its a simple and safe software for filesharing and data synchronization. All you need is an internet connection on all PCs you want to synchronize. You create a network, invite all your pcs and the software synchronizes the data online for all.

Maybe its the right software for you, too! You can download the trialversion here: http://www.syncing.net/en/download/syncingnet-20.html

Greetz!
Lucky Smile
bertz

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2009 10:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your feedbacks! I have chosen syncing.net for my synchronization problem. Thanks for the tip!
Reply to topic    Free PC Support Forum Home -> Helproom All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: