Free PC Support
PC Help Forums from the Experts at Technical-Assistance.co.uk

Google

Search The Web Search This Site
 RSS FeedRSS Feed   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

[SOLVED] Apps not appearing in Open With...

Reply to topic    Free PC Support Forum Home -> Helproom
sl23

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 10:59 am    Post subject: [SOLVED] Apps not appearing in Open With... Reply with quote

Over the years I've had a problem that's not really that important but is a little annoying.

When you want to use the R-click option for Open With... you get an option to use the selected app as defult. There are already a few apps in the top group Recommended Programs or a little arrow to open the Other Programs group.

My problem:
I want to change my Text Editor to SynWrite. I use the Open With... option to locate it but it doesn't appear in the list of Other Programs despite using the Browse function.

Why does this happen?
Is there something I can do about it?

This IS NOT about getting file association to work, I'm purely interested in understanding why programs don't show up in the Other Programs section.

btw, this isn't just this one app, over the past 4 years I've noticed this happen to many different apps on both Vista and Win7. The only connection all these apps have is that they are portable. Is that why they don't show? Something to do with the programming? But then on other occasions they have shown. Perhaps I've had a need to reinstall Windows and it's that app would appear in this list?

Maybe this problem is too diverse to figure out due to the nature of it and the many variety of combinations of apps on a specific PC. Just a hopeful enquiry..

Thanks

EDIT: I solved the problem by moving the PSPadPortable folder and running CCleaner's registry cleaner. This then allowed SynWrite to appear in the Other Programs section.
Reply to topic    Free PC Support Forum Home -> Helproom All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: