Free PC Support
PC Help Forums from the Experts at Technical-Assistance.co.uk

Google

Search The Web Search This Site
 RSS FeedRSS Feed   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

SOME ADVICE PLEASE

Reply to topic    Free PC Support Forum Home -> Helproom
JavOK

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2007 10:49 pm    Post subject: SOME ADVICE PLEASE Reply with quote

Hi there, I am in need of some advice please.

I recently allowed a friend of a friend to sort out my pc problems because I was told that he was a whizz with computers and he certainly sounded like he knew what he was talking about.

Anyway, he replaced my motherboard, cpu and ram for 150.00 but he also managed to format my hard drive, although this was not necessary. He said that it was corrupted and I'm not convinced it was. Even though he knew that I had a genuine Windows XP Pro disk he installed his own anyway and he also partitioned my hard drive. I was told that it was the best thing to do so that the OS could be installed on the C drive and all my personal files could be installed to the newly formed E drive.

During the installation of my printer drivers it would not install one of the components (ink monitor) and I tried to reinstall several times before phoning this guy for advice. He told me that the OS he installed was a customised version and it may not allow the installation of this driver. I get the impression that I am running an illegal copy of Windows XP but it gets all the updates and passes the validation process.

I don't feel happy about my printer software not functioning correctly and I also don't feel happy about having a partitioned drive.

Can someone please advise the pros and cons of having a partioned drive and whether or not I should re-install my own genuine copy of Windows XP Pro. Also, if the advice is to get rid of the partition, I have absolutely no idea how to do it.

Many thanks

Jav
SoftStag

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2007 8:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Formatting the hard drive after replacing the motherboard is not essential, however it is recommended. The vast majority of drivers will be different, and the PC will be bloated by having one set for an old motherboard and another for a new motherboard. In all this can slow the system down, and in some cases make it slightly unstable.

Partitioning the hard drive in this way is really a matter of preference. It is usually those people who regularly mess around with their OS and end up reinstalling it on a frequent basis that prefer it to be partitioned like this. If you keep all your data on the separate partition, then you can format the primary partition with the OS on and not affect your data. Some people prefer to have everything in one place and have a single partition.

If you do stay with having the separate partition for data, then I would recommend moving the My Documents folder to the data drive. This way any data saved in My Documents is kept on the data partition and not your system partition.

With regard to the problems with the printer, I have no idea what your friend is referring to saying the version of windows he has installed will not allow it. Maybe you should ask him to explain better. I would suggest you download the latest version of the software from the HP website and try that - it should work.

Should you wipe the lot and start again? Well that's up to you. Give yourself a good few hours to do it though! If you want advice on doing this, then feel free to ask.
"Microsoft programs are generally bug-free. If you visit the Microsoft hotline, you'll literally have to wait weeks if not months until someone calls in with a bug in one of our programs. 99.99% of calls turn out to be user mistakes. I know not a single less irrelevant reason for an update than bugfixes. The reasons for updates are to present more new features."
-- Bill Gates, on code stability, from Focus Magazine
Steve

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2007 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd leave it as it is if everything works OK. Like SoftStag says, you can move the My Documents folder if you want.

Mr. Green
JavOK

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2007 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many thanks for your comments guys.

Softstag, I'm having trouble getting hold of this guy to ask him more info about the version of Windows XP. I have downloaded drivers for my printer (Epson Stylus Photo R300) and I still cannot get it to function correctly so I have decided to format & start again.

Just a couple of questions if I may........

1) Do I need to format BEFORE reinstalling Windows XP or will it format during installation.

2) During format will it automatically delete the partition or do I need to do that separately? If so, how do I delete the partition?

Thanks

Jav
street1

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2007 9:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is this the driver you downloaded ?---->Here
The Forum King.
JavOK

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2007 10:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the link street1 but I don't have a problem printing as such.

When I re-installed my printer using the installation disk that came with the printer, it installs everything except the software for the 'Epson Status Monitor' and this is quite important to me. I get an error message that says 'program cannot be executed due to configuration setting problem'

This problem has only started recently and I am told that it is because of the version of Windows XP Pro that I have on my pc but I cannot get this verified by the person that installed it.

It is extremely frustating which is why I have decided to format & re-install my own genuine copy of Windows XP Pro........I just need answers to the questions I asked in my previous message.

I appreciate the help!

Jav
SoftStag

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2007 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you really want to do this, then when you boot from the XP CD it will go in to the Setup procedure. When you get to select where to install the operating system, you get the option to change the partitions. Delete the 2 partitions that are there following the onscreen instructions, and create a new one the maximum available size. Then select to install on the new partition and Setup will do the rest.
"Microsoft programs are generally bug-free. If you visit the Microsoft hotline, you'll literally have to wait weeks if not months until someone calls in with a bug in one of our programs. 99.99% of calls turn out to be user mistakes. I know not a single less irrelevant reason for an update than bugfixes. The reasons for updates are to present more new features."
-- Bill Gates, on code stability, from Focus Magazine
JavOK

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2007 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many thanks for your comments and advice guys. I will sort it out over the weekend hopefully.

Very Happy

Jav
Reply to topic    Free PC Support Forum Home -> Helproom All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: