Free PC Support
PC Help Forums from the Experts at Technical-Assistance.co.uk

Google

Search The Web Search This Site
 RSS FeedRSS Feed   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

sony vaio DVD RW

Reply to topic    Free PC Support Forum Home -> Helproom
allen

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2010 11:02 pm    Post subject: sony vaio DVD RW Reply with quote

ive got a sony vaio vgn-fw11s laptop model my dvd cd drive dose not reconize any cd dvds the hd rw simble had vanished and its not in my device manager panal ever i dunno what to do ive been told i can download some utilitys to fix this problem but i dunno what to do any help would be appriecated THANK
Markb

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2010 9:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It could simply be that the drive is broken, it isn't unheard of. Firstly depending on how old the machine is and how confident you are with a screwdriver, if it is still under warranty, you might want to send it back. The first thing that I would try is to take the drive out of the laptop and put it back in. Unfortunately these days they don't seem to come with a quick release catch, so it is usually held in by one of the screws underneath and then just slides out. I'm afraid it will be a case of trial and error.

If after this it fails to show up, it is likely that it is knackered. It the computer doesn't see it (Have a look in the BIOS) then no utility is going to help as it won't detect it. Fortunately, most slim line optical drives are a common form factor. I had to do this on my laptop in December, my optical drive failed and even though it was still under warranty, acer wanted me to wipe it to factory default and send it back to them. The 28 it cost me for a standard slimline drive seemed a better choice to me. The only fiddly bit is changing the plastic bezel on the front of the drive. On most laptops this is a custom mould to fit with the contours of the laptop case. If you are careful though you can remove the bezel from the old one and put it onto the new drive.

Hope this is helpful.
solid

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2010 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can anyone point in the right direction of a driver for this problem?
SoftStag

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2010 2:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

solid wrote:
Can anyone point in the right direction of a driver for this problem?

Windows would use a generic built in driver for this drive, so you won't be able to download one specifically. What is the issue you are facing?
"Microsoft programs are generally bug-free. If you visit the Microsoft hotline, you'll literally have to wait weeks if not months until someone calls in with a bug in one of our programs. 99.99% of calls turn out to be user mistakes. I know not a single less irrelevant reason for an update than bugfixes. The reasons for updates are to present more new features."
-- Bill Gates, on code stability, from Focus Magazine
demdike

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2010 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

go to this page from Microsoft and run the fix there

http://support.microsoft.com/gp/cd_dvd_drive_problems

afterwards you MAY need to reinstall and CD/DVD burning or DVD playback software
Reply to topic    Free PC Support Forum Home -> Helproom All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: