Free PC Support
PC Help Forums from the Experts at Technical-Assistance.co.uk

Google

Search The Web Search This Site
 RSS FeedRSS Feed   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Spam Files

Reply to topic    Free PC Support Forum Home -> Helproom
andy100smith

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2009 1:30 pm    Post subject: Spam Files Reply with quote

Somehow a program file for a Personal Anti-Virus Programme "installed" itself on my PC. I've located the file and tried deleting it - but keep getting a message of "Cannot delete: Access denied".
Has anyone got any suggestions as to how to get rid of this - as it keeps "popping" up saying my PC is at risk and I need to buy a licence for the programme.

Thanks
Cat-tranz

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2009 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Andy

Can you system restore back to a time before this application installed its self ?
SoftStag

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2009 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try going in to Safe Mode and deleting it from there. You may also need to delete an entry that makes it run in the first place.
"Microsoft programs are generally bug-free. If you visit the Microsoft hotline, you'll literally have to wait weeks if not months until someone calls in with a bug in one of our programs. 99.99% of calls turn out to be user mistakes. I know not a single less irrelevant reason for an update than bugfixes. The reasons for updates are to present more new features."
-- Bill Gates, on code stability, from Focus Magazine
andy100smith

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2009 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cat-tranz wrote:
Hi Andy

Can you system restore back to a time before this application installed its self ?

Tried this but it's still there - however, someone else suggested trying to delete the file in safe mode, which I did and it worked - so thanks to all who helped
andy100smith

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2009 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SoftStag wrote:
Try going in to Safe Mode and deleting it from there. You may also need to delete an entry that makes it run in the first place.

Great - thanks - it worked. Managed to find and delete the file in Safe Mode - so thanks for that tip - think I'd have throw the mouse thru' the screen if these pop-ups had kept popping up - so I am now relaxed and chilled again.

Thanks for your help!!
SoftStag

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2009 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're welcome. Very Happy

It might be worth running a full spyware scan on your system, just to make sure all is clean.
"Microsoft programs are generally bug-free. If you visit the Microsoft hotline, you'll literally have to wait weeks if not months until someone calls in with a bug in one of our programs. 99.99% of calls turn out to be user mistakes. I know not a single less irrelevant reason for an update than bugfixes. The reasons for updates are to present more new features."
-- Bill Gates, on code stability, from Focus Magazine
Markb

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2009 8:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would recommend Malwarebytes Anti-Malware which has a free download (Slightly reduced functionality, free version is "On Demand" only) I saw a review which listed it as a "Best of Breed" I have used it and been very happy with the results. Run a full scan with it.
Cat-tranz

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2009 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

^ Second that - I use Malwarebytes (free) along side Vipre, Malwarebytes has a very good detection rate Very Happy
Reply to topic    Free PC Support Forum Home -> Helproom All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: