Free PC Support
PC Help Forums from the Experts at Technical-Assistance.co.uk

Google

Search The Web Search This Site
 RSS FeedRSS Feed   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

spyware infection
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Reply to topic    Free PC Support Forum Home -> Helproom
carolannej

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2009 10:53 pm    Post subject: spyware infection Reply with quote

I think I have spyware on my pc, it makes a clicking noise when watching videos or listening to music and drags/rumbles the sound. I have run the anitspyware AVG and removed the usual cookies but to no avail. I have tried repairing windows with the xp software but the problem persists.
I had this problem before and had to pay to have windows reinstalled which fixed the problem until my son revisited the site where I think the infection came from. I am prepared to reinstall windows myself if somebody would walk me through it....please help!
Steve

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2009 5:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This doesn't sound like a malware infection to me. Try updating the audio drivers, that may help.
Mr. Green
SoftStag

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2009 2:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like Steve says, it is more likely to be a problem with your audio drivers than an infection of any type. Try reinstalling the audio drivers, if this doesn't work, post a HijackThis log and we can see if there is any spyware showing.
"Microsoft programs are generally bug-free. If you visit the Microsoft hotline, you'll literally have to wait weeks if not months until someone calls in with a bug in one of our programs. 99.99% of calls turn out to be user mistakes. I know not a single less irrelevant reason for an update than bugfixes. The reasons for updates are to present more new features."
-- Bill Gates, on code stability, from Focus Magazine
SoftStag

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2009 10:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

From Private Message:
carolannej wrote:
thanx
I dont know how to reinstall audio drivers, I have visited microsoft website looking for solution. How doI find out which drivers I have on my pc?
thanx again

Please use the Reply facility at the bottom of the thread - I don't provide support via private messages....

If you can tell us the make and model of your PC, then we can look to see if we can identify them for you - also what version of Windows you are using. Alternatively, look in Device Manager and let us know what appears in Sound, video and game controllers.

You would also normally get a driver cd with your computer. If you have this then put the CD in the drive, if it autostarts there may be an option to install audio drivers, otherwise you may need to browse the disk and find a folder for Audio or similar and run the setup within.
"Microsoft programs are generally bug-free. If you visit the Microsoft hotline, you'll literally have to wait weeks if not months until someone calls in with a bug in one of our programs. 99.99% of calls turn out to be user mistakes. I know not a single less irrelevant reason for an update than bugfixes. The reasons for updates are to present more new features."
carolannej

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2009 11:52 am    Post subject: audio drivers Reply with quote

I have identified my driver as c media AC97 - my pc was custom built; I do not have a cd for the driver and there is no rollback point installed for it. I have just trawled the web looking for updates but couldnt locate a download - is there anything else I can do?
carolannej

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2009 11:54 am    Post subject: ps Reply with quote

I am using windows xp sp3.5,
SoftStag

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2009 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just to see if we can find out what motherboard is in your system, and hence the correct audio chipset, please try the following:
Arrow Click on Start then Run
Arrow Type in msinfo32.exe and press Enter
Arrow Click on System Summary on the left hand side.
Arrow Go to Edit then Select All
Arrow Go to Edit then Copy
Arrow Paste the details that have just been copied to the clipboard in your next post (right click and select paste in the bit where you type your response.
carolannej

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2009 1:56 pm    Post subject: system summary Reply with quote

OS Name Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition
Version 5.1.2600 Service Pack 3 Build 2600
OS Manufacturer Microsoft Corporation
System Name HOMEPC
System Manufacturer VIA
System Model K7VT4APro
System Type X86-based PC
Processor x86 Family 6 Model 8 Stepping 1 AuthenticAMD ~1465 Mhz
BIOS Version/Date American Megatrends Inc. P1.40, 19/05/2005
SMBIOS Version 2.3
Windows Directory C:\WINDOWS
System Directory C:\WINDOWS\system32
Boot Device \Device\HarddiskVolume1
Locale United Kingdom
Hardware Abstraction Layer Version = "5.1.2600.5512 (xpsp.080413-2111)"
User Name HOMEPC\Mrs Jones
Time Zone GMT Standard Time
Total Physical Memory 512.00 MB
Available Physical Memory 77.71 MB
Total Virtual Memory 2.00 GB
Available Virtual Memory 1.96 GB
Page File Space 1.22 GB
Page File C:\pagefile.sys
SoftStag

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2009 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can download the drivers from here. This will download a zip file, I would save it to the Desktop and unzip it. You should get a folder with a name starting C-Media - go in to this folder and run Setup.exe. Then just follow the installation, if you are unsure of anything go with the default settings.
carolannej

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2009 9:03 pm    Post subject: c media Reply with quote

hey,
I downloaded the new driver Sad
although the sound is definately richer, the clicking noise and dragging/rumbling effect are still present. Somebody said to me a while ago after Id uploaded a video on youtube that Id got spyware on my pc, that's what's causing the clicking noise. this is what made me think initially that spyware is causing the problem. I really dont understand whats going on at all.
I had the problem about 18months ago, it occured after my son had downloaded a program online. I had to pay to have windows reinstalled which fixed the problem. then my son downloaded the program again (it was bamzooki from the bbc which should be ok) and the problem started to reoccur, it was then that I thought the problem may be coming from that programs installation.
I really appreciate your help, thank you for the driver download. If you have any more suggestions, I would be really greatfu;
SoftStag

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2009 7:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do these noises come from the speakers or from the PC itself?
carolannej

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2009 6:06 pm    Post subject: sound Reply with quote

hi
they're on the pc. it sounds like a scratched record whether you have headphones on or speakers. also, intermittently, the sound drags in slow motion and rumbles like a drum machine
Reply to topic    Free PC Support Forum Home -> Helproom All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 1 of 7

Jump to: