Free PC Support
PC Help Forums from the Experts at Technical-Assistance.co.uk

Google

Search The Web Search This Site
 RSS FeedRSS Feed   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

System Requirements for Video Editing ?

Reply to topic    Free PC Support Forum Home -> Helproom
Nibor

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2010 5:35 pm    Post subject: System Requirements for Video Editing ? Reply with quote

I am running Adobe Premiere Pro CS4 on a DELL Inspiron 531 but the video images are jerky when viewing AVCHD files. The Dell spec is : 2Gb RAM, AMD 64 Dual Core 5000+ 2.61GHz processor, NVIDIA GeForce 8300 GS graphics card, 32-bit Vista OS. What, if anything can I upgrade to give me smooth video?
surreypcsupport.com

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2010 9:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it is jerky on playback it cannot generate enough frames per second. Make the overall video size smaller - i.e. lower resolution.

If that still doesn't help then try applying a compression codec to the video.
demdike

PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2010 10:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

18 months ago I helped a guy specify/choose a machine for real-time video editing. He wasn't using Premiere - we went for Edius instead - partly for ease of use, partly because the hardware demands were less

However the guys who put the machine together for us reckoned the min spec was for an Intel quad-core (can't remember the exact model) with 4Gb DDR2 RAM. NOT DDR3 as at the time the latency of DDR3 actually gave worse performance in that application
We fitted 1x500GB system drive and 3x1TB drives for data - and that really was only enough space to hold the data four four full-length HD movies
We didn't need much in the way of graphics - we used a low pwered, though recent 512MB ATi card, What was most important was the ability to output HDMI, rather than sheer graphics performance

Note also that we went with Windows XP Pro rather than Vista as at the time NONE of the video editing suites had been updated to work properly in Vista/7 - and as far as I am aware the Adobe suites still have not. I understand theres a replacement for Premiere "in the tube" but if/when it happens who knows? Forget the offerings from Pinnacle - they're too cluinky. Check out Edius if youwant something that works
Reply to topic    Free PC Support Forum Home -> Helproom All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: