Free PC Support
PC Help Forums from the Experts at Technical-Assistance.co.uk

Google

Search The Web Search This Site
 RSS FeedRSS Feed   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

This copy of Windows is not genuine?

Reply to topic    Free PC Support Forum Home -> Helproom
Plisk

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2011 8:19 am    Post subject: This copy of Windows is not genuine? Reply with quote

Hi

I'm quite a novice when it comes to PCs but whenever I've had a problem in the past i've managed to find a fix on the web, seems my luck has run out with this one though.

I have Windows Vista Home Basic 32 Bit which I purchased about 5 years ago, upgrading hardware when necessary. Though some time in February, shortly after a Windows update I started to recieve this error.

Build 6002
This copy of Windows is not genuine

I have tried changing the license key to the one stated on the side of my desktop, that too is invalid. I've attempted to remove Windows updates from Feb but to no avail.

I have contacted Dell but they said they would charge me for the service, I would prefer leaving that as a last resort. I don't see why I should pay them for a fix/new license key when this is in no way my fault. Though my desktop use is limited at the moment and I don't have many other options.

Any help/advice would be appreciated

Thanks
JonS

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2011 9:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vista has a habit of doing this after an upgrade to the Windows Genuine Advantage software. All that warning means is the WGA software has been unable to go online and "phone home"
Generally just causing the WGA software to run will clear it. Try to run "Microsoft Update" and that should cause WGA to kick into life and register properly
Plisk

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2011 9:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the reply Jon.

Unfortunately this hasn't solved my problem. I don't know if this is of any relevance to my current issue, but for the first time I had errors whislt trying to search for Microsoft updates. Didn't note it down but was along the lines of allowing update sites through firewall.

I was using Windows Live OneCare but have now fully uninstalled it in the hope there was somehow a conflict preventing my License key to be seen as valid (if that is even possible). The windows updates were completed after I had done this.

tl; dr

Still getting the message "This copy of Windows is not genuine".
SoftStag

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2011 12:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It may be a firewall issue in that it can't dial home properly. Try disabling your firewall before running the Windows Update, then re-enable it when it is complete.
"Microsoft programs are generally bug-free. If you visit the Microsoft hotline, you'll literally have to wait weeks if not months until someone calls in with a bug in one of our programs. 99.99% of calls turn out to be user mistakes. I know not a single less irrelevant reason for an update than bugfixes. The reasons for updates are to present more new features."
-- Bill Gates, on code stability, from Focus Magazine
Plisk

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2011 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I assume it was a firewall issue preventing me from updating windows, disabling firewalls worked for that, just didn't help with my invalid product key issue. I'm curious if there's a connection, both errors have been pretty recent.

Message I receive when trying to change product key.

Following failure occured

Code: 0xC004F050

The Software Licensing Service reported that the product key is invalid.

Very frustrating Sad
JonS

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2011 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm getting confused here
You have an OEM key sticker on the side of the machine
Yet you purchased a copy of Windows?
Whats the make of the machine? And is the CD you purchased an OEM or retail one?
Plisk

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2011 10:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry for the confusion Razz

It's a Dell Dimension. I currently have an OEM key selected which doesn't work. When I try to change the key, to the one on the certificate stuck to my tower, that too is shown as an invalid key.

Just to be clear I've never changed or altered the key I've had since I first bought the machine.
JonS

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2011 1:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, I assume you used an OEM CD to install windows
The situation is the Dell cert key will not activate an OEM CD installation online, but will if you go through the phone activation method
Its a security check Microsoft put into place around eight years ago to prevent fraud. Product keys from tier 1 system builders cannot be activated online when used with a "normal" OEM CD - it HAS to be by phone

Can you confirm just what software is on the machine: is it the original Dell installation, or has it been reloaded? if so, from what? And are you sure the version installed is the same as that of the product keys?

Now if you haven't actually reloaded it and still have the original Dell windows installation on the machine then something serious is going on. Either the SLP key files on the machine have been damaged, or the BIOS has been altered in some way to break the SLP table
Can you give us more detail as to the sequence of events which led to the failure? just what update did you install?
Reply to topic    Free PC Support Forum Home -> Helproom All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: