Free PC Support
PC Help Forums from the Experts at Technical-Assistance.co.uk

Google

Search The Web Search This Site
 RSS FeedRSS Feed   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Toshiba Satellite M305-S49052 Screen issues!

Reply to topic    Free PC Support Forum Home -> Helproom
Mskelton

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2010 12:25 am    Post subject: Toshiba Satellite M305-S49052 Screen issues! Reply with quote

I have a Toshiba Satellite M305-S49052, and for the first year under warranty, everything was going smoothly. however recently, horizontal lines have appeared at the top and bottom of my screen, and after several minutes of watching these lines, the screen begins to twitch and show the top section of screen, at the bottom. after about ten more minutes, the screen begins to twitch rapidly, eventually showing a giant white blur fade into the screen, then resetting itself. this occurs until the computer is turned completely off, repeatedly glowing white and resetting, twitching, and beginning the annoying cycle again every few seconds. I am pretty sure the problem is not with the monitor of the laptop, because the problem does not occur immediately, but over time. If I were to shut the laptop down and start it again immediately, the problem continues.. I am left to believe something within my computer is overheating and causing these visual problems.
JonS

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2010 7:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sounds to me like the screen has failed - though it may just be worth trying a replacement voltage inverter first (which supplies the power to the screen)

Only other thing that could be causing the problem is the graphics chip - and thats permanently fixed to the motherboard, so replacing it means a new motherboard. If its faulty. It could be worth striping down the machine, cleaning out the cooling fan and applying new thermal paste to graphics chip and cpu - but I don't think thats your problem
Mskelton

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2010 8:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks, it turns out you were right about it not being a video card issue, I hooked the laptop to my HDTV and the picture is flawless. Now my only problem is figuring out what to do with a laptop that has a faulty screen, other that use my tv whenever i want to use the computer..
Mskelton

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2010 8:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JonS wrote:
sounds to me like the screen has failed - though it may just be worth trying a replacement voltage inverter first (which supplies the power to the screen)

might you know where the voltage inverter is physcially located in a laptop, and possibly where i might find one to replace it?
JonS

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2010 8:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

its somewhere behind the screen panel, but I don't know where on that one.

For a source of the part, Google "M305-S49052 inverter"
Mskelton

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2010 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the help, JonS. I'll see what i can do about the inverter, I don't know enough about hardware to pick one out from the different kinds I've found on google. However I'll keep asking around at electronic stores to find out specifically what i need and how to install it. I really don't feel confident in taking my laptop's screen apart.. I know it's possible, I just wouldnt know how to do it right. Again, thanks for your help :]
JonS

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you don't feel confident, don't try it as you'll only end up breaking the screen
Most inverters (not all) require some desoldering / resoldering so if you've no experience of that, don't even try. get an engineer / technician to have a look at it
BigChipz08

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2010 4:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the same model laptop, and I've encountered the same problems. Everything was fine for the first year, then everything went downhill. The screen acted the same way you describe, and still does. When I called Toshiba, they refused to talk to me or give me any answers because my warranty was up. Not long after the screen started twitching and flashing white, I was playing a game and I heard a slight popping sound. Part of my screen at the top burst apparently, and it had created a large black circle. That circle soon began to "spider", and now I have lines running from the top to the bottom of the screen, as well as one that split off to the side. As if that weren't bad enough, the next week I was playing another game and suddenly the computer froze, and I recieved the BSOD. Again, Toshiba wouldn't talk to me, so I got ahold of the place I bought the computer (and a seperate two year warranty) from, and I was told because there was a screen problem, they couldn't even look at the computer because it was "accidental damage caused by the user". Any clue what may have caused the screen to pop or the BSOD (Which, incidentally, I have recieved twice more since the first one....all have been followed by a complete wipeout of the system, and restoration back to the manufacturer basics).?
JonS

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2010 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Part of my screen at the top burst apparently, and it had created a large black circle. That circle soon began to "spider", and now I have lines running from the top to the bottom of the screen, as well as one that split off to the side. "

The screen lid has had a bang, and its fractured the TFT matrix
You need a new screen - you can probably get one for around 80 for the parts, plus an hour or two labour

The BSOD may be related: it could be picking up the hardware problem, but its more likely to be completely unrelated. Can you see enough of the error to make out what it says? If it keeps coming back after a reload it does tend to indicate a hardware problem - possibly overheating
BigChipz08

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2010 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can see the error, but it doesn't stay up long enough to really read anything. The screen just turns blue, quickly displays some text, and then shuts down. I believe it may be a harddrive failure, due to the fact that it mainly does it when I install any new programs. As for the screen, I'm sure it's been banged a couple times, but I've never seen a delayed reaction like that. The same thing happened with my Acer, but I know that was never banged up at all (It happened 3 days after I purchased it), so I'm beginning to think either the computer gods dislike me very much, or I'm just one unlucky guy who picks the wrong brand of computer.
JonS

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2010 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the Acer probably had a faulty screen, or a screen that wasn't fitted properly. Opening the lid of the laptop stressed it till it cracked. Happens sometimes with new machines and Acer should have replaced it under warranty.

As to the delayed reaction with this one, yes that can happen. Especially if the screen lid is distorted in such a way as to bend or stress the screen. it won't always break immediately, but the stress of opening/closing can push it until it does

As to "buying the wrong type..." Generally Toshibas are OK (unless they use an nVidia chipset). As for Acers, all I'll say is that I wouldn't buy one
Reply to topic    Free PC Support Forum Home -> Helproom All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: