Free PC Support
PC Help Forums from the Experts at Technical-Assistance.co.uk
 
Google
 
Search The Web Search This Site
 RSS FeedRSS Feed   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Transfering Hard Drive

 
Reply to topic    Free PC Support Forum Home -> Helproom
Author Message
Clarkee



Joined: 05 Feb 2007
Posts: 1

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2007 7:26 pm    Post subject: Transfering Hard Drive Reply with quote

Hey Guys im new to the forum but require help, obvious due to the fact that im posting a PC help forum.... Duh!

Right i have an old system, the Geforce FX5700LE being the newest component..... and i have just purchased

New ATX Case
Nforce Mobo
7600GT
1GB DDR400 RAM
and the other vital gear except a Hard Drive....
Can i port the Hard Drive, as it is supported by the mobo, to the new system, retaining my files, Win XP and so forth?
I know ill need to redo my drivers and stuff but will this work?
Any help or comments about it being dreadful idea etc will be appreciated... Thank you. Very Happy
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Steve



Joined: 07 Feb 2006
Posts: 184
Location: Bangalore, India

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2007 4:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not sure you can just plug your hard drive in and expect it to work. I'm sure when SoftStag comes online later, he'll be able to advise best. If I were you though I'd make sure you have a backup of all the personal data on the hard drive, just in case it all goes wrong! Mr. Green
_________________
My Photo Gallery
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
SoftStag



Joined: 05 Feb 2006
Posts: 2049
Location: UK

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2007 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

With Windows XP, it is possible to keep the hard drive as is and plug it in to the new setup. Windows should detect all the new hardware and everything should be OK. Such a major hardware change will prompt it to be reregistered, so you may need to contact Microsoft when this happens.

I would warn, that this usually works, but not always. You should back up the hard drive prior to trying this out, as it could be a complete failure and you lose all your data!
_________________
"Microsoft programs are generally bug-free. If you visit the Microsoft hotline, you'll literally have to wait weeks if not months until someone calls in with a bug in one of our programs. 99.99% of calls turn out to be user mistakes. I know not a single less irrelevant reason for an update than bugfixes. The reasons for updates are to present more new features."
-- Bill Gates, on code stability, from Focus Magazine
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Steve



Joined: 07 Feb 2006
Posts: 184
Location: Bangalore, India

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2007 5:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SoftStag wrote:
With Windows XP, it is possible to keep the hard drive as is and plug it in to the new setup. Windows should detect all the new hardware and everything should be OK. Such a major hardware change will prompt it to be reregistered, so you may need to contact Microsoft when this happens.

I would warn, that this usually works, but not always. You should back up the hard drive prior to trying this out, as it could be a complete failure and you lose all your data!

Why do you have to contact Microsoft? What do they care?
_________________
My Photo Gallery
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
SoftStag



Joined: 05 Feb 2006
Posts: 2049
Location: UK

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2007 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steve wrote:
Why do you have to contact Microsoft? What do they care?

Windows XP requires product activation, this is normally done after you install it. In the event that there is a major hardware configuration change, Windows asks to be reregistered. This is to prevent people installing a registering a copy of Windows on one PC, then cloning the harddrive and putting it another machine, thus having 2 (or more) activated copies of Windows on one licence.
_________________
"Microsoft programs are generally bug-free. If you visit the Microsoft hotline, you'll literally have to wait weeks if not months until someone calls in with a bug in one of our programs. 99.99% of calls turn out to be user mistakes. I know not a single less irrelevant reason for an update than bugfixes. The reasons for updates are to present more new features."
-- Bill Gates, on code stability, from Focus Magazine
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Steve



Joined: 07 Feb 2006
Posts: 184
Location: Bangalore, India

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2007 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SoftStag wrote:
Steve wrote:
Why do you have to contact Microsoft? What do they care?

Windows XP requires product activation, this is normally done after you install it. In the event that there is a major hardware configuration change, Windows asks to be reregistered. This is to prevent people installing a registering a copy of Windows on one PC, then cloning the harddrive and putting it another machine, thus having 2 (or more) activated copies of Windows on one licence.

Thanks SoftStag.

You know I thought the whole XP product activation thing was a stupid thing that Micro$oft put on to p*** people off. It actually makes sense now! Mr. Green
_________________
My Photo Gallery
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Display posts from previous:   
Reply to topic    Free PC Support Forum Home -> Helproom All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum

 



Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

2005 - 2017 All Rights Reserved www.technical-assistance.co.uk
Terms and Conditions