Free PC Support
PC Help Forums from the Experts at Technical-Assistance.co.uk

Google

Search The Web Search This Site
 RSS FeedRSS Feed   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

transferring files

Reply to topic    Free PC Support Forum Home -> Helproom
Battis32

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2009 1:45 am    Post subject: transferring files Reply with quote

I have an older PC that runs Windows 98. I want to transfer files to my newer PC that runs XP. The older PC has a CD drive, the newer one a DVD drive. Neither will read the other. I cannot use a flash drive in the older one because it doesn't have a driver, and it can't be connected to the Internet to download one.
Is there a way to connect the two PCs to transfer files?
Any suggestions?
Thanks.
Markb

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2009 10:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I my experience all DVD drives will read CD's If the Win 98 machine has a drive that can write CD's you can transfer this way. By far the easiest way though is by using a network connection. If both machines have a network card, you can connect them together using a crossover of by using a network switch if you have one. Another alternatice is to take the hard drive out of the Windows 98 machine and attach it to the new machine as a slave. We would need to know some more details of the hardware if you require instructions on how to do any of the above.
Battis32

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2009 11:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks. I tried adding the older hard drive to the newer machine but it kept reading he older hard drive as the master. Any ideas or suggestions?
SoftStag

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2009 5:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There should be a jumper on the hard drive to set it to slave. Usually there is a sticker on hte hard drive showing where to move the jumper to.

With regard to the DVD drive, it should read CDs - they all do, unless they are faulty.

If both systems have LAN cards in them, it might be easier to connect them via a cross over Ethernet cable.
"Microsoft programs are generally bug-free. If you visit the Microsoft hotline, you'll literally have to wait weeks if not months until someone calls in with a bug in one of our programs. 99.99% of calls turn out to be user mistakes. I know not a single less irrelevant reason for an update than bugfixes. The reasons for updates are to present more new features."
-- Bill Gates, on code stability, from Focus Magazine
Battis32

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2009 11:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tried moving the jumper but it just would not switch the older hard drive to slave (I tried every slot). I decided to try using an Ethernet cable but the older machine didn't have a slot that would accept it. The CD's made in the older machine won't work in any other machine I tried. Then my son downloaded a driver for a flash drive, installed it in the older machine and bingo - I can now transfer files that way.
Thanks for the suggestions.
Markb

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2009 9:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for letting us know.
Reply to topic    Free PC Support Forum Home -> Helproom All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: