Free PC Support
PC Help Forums from the Experts at Technical-Assistance.co.uk

Google

Search The Web Search This Site
 RSS FeedRSS Feed   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Two Important Questions

Reply to topic    Free PC Support Forum Home -> Helproom
pvkemail

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2008 9:43 pm    Post subject: Two Important Questions Reply with quote

Hi all,

I have two questions in this forum to ask:

1) Whenever I intend to any softwares, some give two executable files, one for Windows 32bit and the other for windows 64 bit. What are these? I am using the Windows XP Home edition [1GB RAM and 120GB HDD] and how should I know which one to install ?

2) I have a broadband internet connection with a bandwidth of 2Mbps. I understand that when connected to internet, my IP address is my identity in the WWW. But recently I came to know that IP can easily misused by some websites and hackers. Therefore it is essential to protect our IP address while surfing from intruders. I also don't wish to mask(proxy)/hide my IP as it is not legal (?). Therefore, my question is, "Are there some open source softwares to protect our IP or is there some technique in windows to play around?"

I am really curious to know about these, please share your knowledge.

Thank you for your replies,

Have a great day,
Regards
Vijay
Markb

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2008 11:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Vijay.
With you first question, you will require the 32 bit version of the install file. the reason for the two is that with the introduction of 64 bit processors (Commonly the AMD Athalon is probably the most readily available) microsoft released a 64 bit version of Windows XP to take advantage of the additional processing power. To my knowledge there has not been a huge take up of it, as the 32 bit version runs just as well on 64 bit processors and there is more support for the 32 bit version.

With regards to your second question about your IP address. The issue is not about protecting or hiding your IP address but rather protecting the equipment that is assigned the IP address. This is commonly done with a "Firewall" this can be in the form of software on your PC or a separate hardware box that sits between your PC or network and the internet. It controls what access there is to your network from the outside world. Typically you would block all incoming access.

TCPIP which is the protocol or language that computers use to talk to each other over the internet could be thought of as a phone system. It has a main number and extensions. Your IP address would be the main number and the "Port" would be the extension number. For example the WWW uses http (Hypertext Transfer Protocol) this uses Port of 80, POP3 which is used to receive email by an email client uses port 110. If you had a web server that you wanted the outside world to access you would allow traffic on your IP address on port 80 to access your web server.

For your home PC, as long as you have SP2 on your Windows XP, it has a software firewall that is switched on by default. It will automatically block any access to your PC. You can check it is active by opening the control panel and clicking on the network connections icon. You should see a little padlock symbol by your internet connect to show that the firewall is active on this connection. If you want to share your internet connection to other machines in your home then you might consider a suitable router/firewall for your connection.

Hope this helps your understanding.
SoftStag

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2008 1:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

XP Home is a 32bit OS, so you will need to 32bit version of the installation file.
"Microsoft programs are generally bug-free. If you visit the Microsoft hotline, you'll literally have to wait weeks if not months until someone calls in with a bug in one of our programs. 99.99% of calls turn out to be user mistakes. I know not a single less irrelevant reason for an update than bugfixes. The reasons for updates are to present more new features."
-- Bill Gates, on code stability, from Focus Magazine
Reply to topic    Free PC Support Forum Home -> Helproom All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: