Free PC Support
PC Help Forums from the Experts at Technical-Assistance.co.uk

Google

Search The Web Search This Site
 RSS FeedRSS Feed   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

unable to connect to wireless network
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Reply to topic    Free PC Support Forum Home -> Helproom
ginboy

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2007 7:55 pm    Post subject: unable to connect to wireless network Reply with quote

I am sure there is something dead simple that I am missing. But I am slightly?no very?retarded with computers. My laptop recently stopped connecting to the internet and no wireless networks were appearing in the view available wireless networks window. Someone kindly pointed out that I needed to turn the switch on, which I did and the list of wireless networks reappeared. However, at best I have only been able to access the network in the flat intermittently since then, and for a good few days I simply haven't been able to get onto the internet at all. The connection does not establish automatically, even though I am not connected, the only option I initially have on the view available networks window is to disconnect, then although the button changes to connect, the connection never establishes.

Is this all just gobbledygook, or can anyone suggest something that might help me out?

Cheers,

P
Calum

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2007 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What's the make and model of this laptop?
ginboy

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2007 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Packard Bell EasyNote E4710
SoftStag

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2007 10:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it worked before, then there is no reason why it shouldn't work now. It sounds like a weak signal to me. Is it better with the laptop close to the router?
"Microsoft programs are generally bug-free. If you visit the Microsoft hotline, you'll literally have to wait weeks if not months until someone calls in with a bug in one of our programs. 99.99% of calls turn out to be user mistakes. I know not a single less irrelevant reason for an update than bugfixes. The reasons for updates are to present more new features."
-- Bill Gates, on code stability, from Focus Magazine
ginboy

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2007 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It just doesn't work at all. And another laptop works just fine (but is not mine).
catscan

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2007 8:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds faulty to me.
SoftStag

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2007 11:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's possible it's faulty, however you first need to rule everything else out.

Try going through the Micrsoft Wireless Network Troubleshooter. This may help.
"Microsoft programs are generally bug-free. If you visit the Microsoft hotline, you'll literally have to wait weeks if not months until someone calls in with a bug in one of our programs. 99.99% of calls turn out to be user mistakes. I know not a single less irrelevant reason for an update than bugfixes. The reasons for updates are to present more new features."
ginboy

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2007 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, I tried the troubleshooter to no avail. I just had all the available networks listed, I clicked connect for the one here, although the computer recognised that the signal strength of the network was good, I still had "little or no connection" and the internet would not work.

If it is faulty, what is the best way to get it rectified?
SoftStag

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2007 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ginboy wrote:
although the computer recognised that the signal strength of the network was good, I still had "little or no connection" and the internet would not work.

I think I may have been looking at this in the wrong way. The signal strength is fine, but the icon near the clock for the wireless connection has a yellow triangle with an exclamation mark, and a pop up balloon that says "Limited or No connectivity" something like this:

or if there is no balloon, and you go in to Network and Internet Connections, the connection looks something like this:

If this is the case, then it looks like it is a problem with the TCP/IP settings on the laptop.
ginboy

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2007 10:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sorry for such slow reply, been away. yeah it's like that sometimes, but mostly there is a red cross through the Wireless network connection icon in the Internet connections bit.
What should the TCP/IP settings be?
SoftStag

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2007 1:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If there is a red cross, this means that it is not connected at all. From what you have said, it appears to connect to the wireless network, but you can't connect to the internet.

The TCP/IP settings should be set to obtain a IP address automatically (unless you disabled DHCP on your router). To check this do the following:
Arrow Open Network Connections
Arrow Right click on the Wireless Network Connection and select Properties
Arrow Find Internet Protocol (TCP/IP), make sure there is a tick next to it, and highlight it
Arrow Click on Properties
Arrow Make sure there is a dot in Obtain an IP automatically and Obtain DNS server address automatically
Arrow OK everything to go back to where you were

If these settings were already set, then a few more things to try:
Arrow Open Network Connections
Arrow Right click on the Wireless Network Connection and select Properties
Arrow Make sure there are only ticks next to Client for Microsoft Networks, Internet Protocol (TCP/IP), and optionally File and Printer Sharing for Microsoft Networks
Arrow Go to the Wireless Networks tab
Arrow Ensure there is a tick next to Use Windows to configure my wireless network settings
Arrow In the Prefered Networks section remove everything in there (highlight and click remove)
Arrow Click on Advanced
Arrow Put the dot next to Any available network (access point preferred)
Arrow Make sure there is no tick next to Automatically connect to non-preferred networks
Arrow OK everything
Arrow In Network Connections double click on your wireless connection
Arrow You should see your router's SSID (name) here, double click on it and it should try to connect. You may be prompted for a network key if it is a secure network, you will need to enter this twice, otherwise it will warn that you are connecting to an unsecured network.

Hopefully this should get you connected back again. Let us know how you get on.
ginboy

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2007 1:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for that. Tried it, but it didn't work. Still in the Wireless Network Connection window it says beneath the SSID
"Security enabled wireless network
This network requires a network key. You are currently connected to this network. To disconnect from this network click Disconnect below", but in the top right hand corner above the five bars indicating the excellent signal strength it says "Not Connected".

There is still a red cross through the Wireless Network Connection icon in Network Connections.

Sigh.
Reply to topic    Free PC Support Forum Home -> Helproom All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: