Free PC Support
PC Help Forums from the Experts at Technical-Assistance.co.uk

Google

Search The Web Search This Site
 RSS FeedRSS Feed   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

uninstall problems..no security on pc heeelp!

Reply to topic    Free PC Support Forum Home -> Helproom
bangra

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2009 2:24 pm    Post subject: uninstall problems..no security on pc heeelp! Reply with quote

I had norton security on and also what I thought was just comodo firewall but found out it was the full comodo works like norton...actually it didn't really cause problems but as soon as i found i decided to uninstall norton and comodo and install AVG and then just the firewall for comodo.

I uninstalled norton. then downloaded AVG and comodod firewall only. i then uninstalled my first comodo which was the whole security caboodle. i restarted pc and then tried to install AVG but it said I already have security protection on pc even though my control panel shows nothing with comodo on. if i try to install my newly downloaded firewall only it tells me i already have comod internet security on pc...

i don't care what secuity i have on pc but i just want some and now don't know what to do as can't get rid of comodo and put something else in.. does this mean i am stuck with comod whether i like it or not forever????
bangra

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2009 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

GOD. I've just noticed that still have norton in my control panel and it says there were problems uninstalling it so it might be that that's stopping my AVG..i don'tknow what to do...
SoftStag

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2009 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Bangra

Firstly go to this link about uninstalling Norton - this should help you fully remove it.

With regard to Comodo, does this appear in Add/Remove Programs at all? If not, then reinstall the full Comodo package again, and then uninstall it.

I would try to uninstall ALL security software from your PC - Norton, Comodo and AVG. Only then should you install what you want - AVG and Comodo Firewall.
"Microsoft programs are generally bug-free. If you visit the Microsoft hotline, you'll literally have to wait weeks if not months until someone calls in with a bug in one of our programs. 99.99% of calls turn out to be user mistakes. I know not a single less irrelevant reason for an update than bugfixes. The reasons for updates are to present more new features."
-- Bill Gates, on code stability, from Focus Magazine
surreypcsupport.com

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2009 10:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Norton/Symantec AV software is well known for the problem of leaving bits behind when you uninstall it. Amongst the IT professionals I have worked with the name Symantec is mud. One of my clients recently switched from Symantec AV to McAfee on my recomendation.

But as mentioned in the above post, you will find a 'clean removal tool' or NONAV program on the website that will remove the stuff left behind.
Cat-tranz

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2009 10:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Norton is not the best option for a security measure (only my opinion)
Jilly

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2009 6:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with all of the above. I would rather eat worms than go near anything Norton.

I agree you should uninstall everything. Then run a good and safe reg cleaner. I use Comodo's, it is free and I think it is excellent.

I would also download the latest build of CCleaner
http://www.ccleaner.com/download

Run the file cleaning app; it also has not bad reg cleaner. It is free but U may be moved to donate to this lovely guy.

Also make sure in yr security in Control panel you have the resident firewall turned off.

I also use and recommend Comodo firewall as a stand alone app.....tho the prompts take getting used to for some.

I also recommend Avira free and would not be without it. I feel out of luv with AVG, but everyone is different.

Remember, we can only run one anti virus, but should have at least two good Antispywares. I recommed Spyware Terminator, free and with real time shield, and Superantispyware, also with realtime shield.

I never get more than the occasional tracking cookie.
surreypcsupport.com

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2009 11:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Registry cleaners do more harm than good in my opinion. Just this weekend I had to reinstall XP on a client machine after he had used one and it corrupted his active desktop.
Jilly

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2009 9:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

surreypcsupport.com wrote:
Registry cleaners do more harm than good in my opinion. Just this weekend I had to reinstall XP on a client machine after he had used one and it corrupted his active desktop.

Many, many people feel this and for good reasons I respect. I can only speak from my own experience. I have avoided most, tested several and so far, the one Comodo offers has never caused me harm in any system. Is all I can say. I run everything but it simultaneously; it must be run alone.

Along with my spy scans and junk files scan- removers and defrag *see below), I run it every time I am about to shut a system down. takes no time.

I use and recommend a freeware, JK defrag. After testing all the non W defraggers I adore it & stick with it. I mention it here too as the 'cleaner" app within it has a reg hive optimizer which optimizes all 11 hives at warpspeed.

http://www.kessels.com/Jkdefrag/
surreypcsupport.com

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2009 9:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm sure there are good defrag tools etc out there. It's just registry cleaners I don't like. Why would anyone need to clean the registry anyway? It's not like performance will be improved significantly. You might get a tiny improvement if the registry has become massive.

There's just no need to clean the registry. Even if you are running out of registry space you can always allocate some more.
Reply to topic    Free PC Support Forum Home -> Helproom All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: